1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Because when a problem comes along you must whip it!

2. SemisolidSnake

I'd really like to know the "bat drop" (weight in ounces - length inches) or at least just the weight of those bats. In high school, I swung a 33" -3 bat, which was the lowest drop you could go, but I haven't swung anything that heavy since. Softball bats are longer but much lighter.

3. Elienator

Elienator Member

I get what you're saying, but Miley had more good performances this year than Devinski. For the year, Devinski has worse numbers in every statistic except strikeouts. It's also not like Devo put up good numbers in the 2017 playoffs. They were as bad if not worse than Miley did this year in the division series. Miley also had some success in the 2018 playoffs. If you are using either of them, it's not good, but Miley is left-handed and can pitch longer if you just need innings in a blowout.

4. SemisolidSnake

Agreed about the experience. I don't think he's 2017 All Star Devo effective against lefties, but if he's on, he's certainly one of the options. Harris is your top tier reliever against lefties in the bullpen right now, but Harris is also your ace-in-the-hole when anything bad happens, so in the middle innings, if you need to get a lefty out, I'd expect Devo. Hope the lack of pitching hasn't affected him.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Heart = Nats in 7
    Head = Astros in 4

Either way I'm a happy camper

6. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, but it's not about season averages; it's about trends. Miley was awesome for the first five months of the year, but then just lost it so steeply in the last month, no one knows what happened to him. He showed vestiges of that trend continuing in the ALDS, even if he did give us multiple innings during garbage time. Hinch gives his players every possible chance to pull out of their slumps. Some might argue he goes too far with his faith, although that's also a major reason why his players love him. He put Miley on the ALDS roster, and I'm sure he was hoping to see a return to form, but it just wasn't there, and the choice was made for him. It's a real shame. I hope the Miley Mystery is some day solved.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just sitting here thinking how thankful I am that we all get to experience this yet again. How thankful I am that we have ownership/GM/team that just gets it. It’s so rare.

This team is amazing and it’s been such a great ride.

Appreciate what you guys bring to the forum. Doesn’t matter if we agree all the time, we all have one thing in common. Our love for the Astros.

Let’s get this started tonight, and hope we can all share that euphoria of an Astros World Series Championship once more.

Swack, solid, everyday eddie and 5 others like this.
  8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, they should've been more detailed.

Usually the weight gets told before the length.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

I wonder where the nation that still cares about the World Series sits on who they want to win this series. The Nats have a really great underdog story. I already declared I'd root for them if the Stros didn't make it. Well, sorry, Nats. However, the Astros are probably the most likable team in sports. What's the small segment of the country watching these games to do?

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Being able to watch your team play in a World Series is pretty cool, and doesn't happen too often. Let's enjoy this ride.

11. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

We're losing this one..I feel like the Nats are going to set the tone.

Houston sports is just painful.

Nats win tonight 7-3.

12. SuraGotMadHops

How have I not noticed this before? What an ass clown, serious Carlos Gomez vibes. Good on Mykolaus for grabbing his junk at him after the ground out. That stupid goofy s*** doesn't work when you have a pro's pro on the mound.

13. SemisolidSnake

Definitely. I actually went to the Marucci website, picked a model, and looked at the options. You can have 31 to 34.5", -4 to +2. Anyone that's played baseball knows how much difference a single ounce makes to a bat.

I imagine if Will Harris was a batter, he'd have to get a custom bat somewhere above +2. Harris is a tank of a man...and also apparently a really great interviewee according to Collin McHugh.

Houstunna likes this.
  14. mikol13

Supporting Member

Make it count fellas!!!

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Still wanting Myles Straw in there instead of garbage time/emergency Devo, but I guess there's enough speed with Jake subbing in late.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. mikol13

Supporting Member

Should be cool. I miss BMac!!

17. mikol13

Supporting Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wtf?? There's no way he did that regularly throughout the regular season? In baseball? Where a guy can throw a ball 90 mph at your head? In either case, get him out, it doesn't matter, but indeed, that's annoying as **** and a good lesson on how not to act in sports for my kids that will be watching.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1. It's not about stats in the regular season, it's just about stuff. The Astros are probably not selecting the final people in their bullpen based on how they did against mediocre hitters in aggregate. They want to see mph, rpm, ability to locate pitches, and performance in high leverage situations as the main determinants.

2. Role also matters. Miley being used to pitching once every 5 days is gonna be much less useful than a Devo who could go multiple innings in a game 4, AND give a few garbage innings whenever they arise in other games in the series as well.

3. I'm sure the Astros are also closely monitoring individualized matchup data in settling on Devo. There must be a few hitters that they have outlined who not only have performed poorly against Devo in the past, but project to perform poorly against Devo's change-up going forward. Also, Devo is a reverse splits kind of righty, so perhaps he will also fulfill that LOOGY role that we've left off the team to this point.

#100 Spacemoth, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    SemisolidSnake likes this.