1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Trump for President 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roc Paint, May 22, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I recall, Trump wasn't running in 2018.

It's not surprising that instead of debating a serious and legitimate concern you just make a person attack.

No Worries likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think you underestimate how much people love him in the red state.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The main reason Trump will not do this is that he has a real credible shot at winning the election. Of course he'd prefer to win outright than to cancel them. He might enjoy the depressed turnout from COVID-19. (Of course if anyone should avoid crowds in an outbreak, it's old people, not the young folks the Democrats would be banking on. But people don't behave rationally.)

Actually we know a snake will bite because other snakes have bitten. We probably don't know the personal history of some random snake we encounter. But otherwise I agree with your larger point -- the way Sweet Lou villainizes Trump undermines his credibility and the credibility of everyone else who warns about perhaps more attainable villainies on Trump's part. But to Sweet's point...

Trump accepted the 2018 results but he himself, the narcissist, wasn't on the ballot. He will be in 2020. And we saw in 2016 how he called into question the legitimacy of some of the primaries that he lost. And we saw him claim voter fraud in the general election too, even though he won. So as far as snakebites we've seen before, that's one we've seen. If he loses, he might not refuse to step down ultimately, but he will definitely, definitely claim fraud and challenge the results.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

and?

What kind of dictator would allow the peaceful transfer of power of the House of Representatives from their party to the opposition party and agree to all the subsequent political ramifications?

If you don't like me saying your opinion is unhinged, don't put forward unhinged opinions.

King1 and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

and?

What kind of dictator would allow the peaceful transfer of power of the House of Representatives from their party to the opposition party and agree to all the subsequent political ramifications?

I'm sure he will complain if he loses but the idea that he will "declare martial law" or "cancel the results of the election" and basically refuse to leave office/installing himself as dictator is just unhinged.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

He isn't a dictator yet. Do you think he can just go from 0 to dictator in one day? Do you think that's how it works?

Before you call someone unhinged, why don't you educate yourself by reading history. Then your stupidity doesn't have to be spewed here.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are selectively reading and restating a strawman so you can make a personal attack. You clearly aren't here to debate but to get your frustrations out by insulting people. In reality, that makes you the unhinged one

8. HTM

HTM Member

No, I'm saying you're unhinged because you think the Trump is going to become a dictator and not abide by the results of the 2020 election when we have already seen him abide by the very bad results of the 2018 election. No dictator, or one who has dictatorial ambitions would allow such a thing to happen.

If Trump loses I have 0 doubts he will piss and moan about it and probably verbally challenge the integrity of the elections. That's just how he is.

I also have 0 reason to doubt he will abide by the results and leave office, just like he abided by the disastrous 2018 mid term election results.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If the Coronavirus is creating an economic recession and a national emergency, which things in disarray and he may very well be under attack from many directions for his handling of that. His poll numbers would sink and in that situation, facing a more looming defeat, he may declare a national emergency from the virus under the pretext to protect the nation.

Of course it has the side benefit of "delaying" the election until it is safe. With the courts and senate in his pocket, and Republicans absolutely loyal, he can effectively stop any challenge.

Even if states went ahead and held elections - he can ignore the results. After all who certifies the national election? Congress and federal agencies, and even that isn't a tight process. Trump can easily challenge and create chaos here. And with the courts and senate backing him, could remain in power.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This argument is just silly. Quit letting Lou troll. All of sudden he is sensitive to being called unhinged after calling people racist everyday.

Trump will accept a loss just to get away from the loony left. I am surprised he even wants to keep the damn job.

King1 and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

How did he abide by the 2018 result when he wasn't on the ballot? That makes no sense whatsoever.

And I just said he doesn't become dictator overnight, that's not how it works. It's a slow piece by piece process he started on day one. He wasn't ready in 2018. He will be ready later this year. He now has the loyalists in key positions and the judges to back him. he didn't have that in his first 2 years.

12. HTM

HTM Member

He was President of the United States in 2018 and allowed mid-term election results which were disastrous for his party and it's ability to control the country... that doesn't strike me as the something a dictator or would be dictator would allow...

Oh, right, "he wasn't ready in 2018" ... "he will be ready in 2020" .... sure.. totally.

13. JuanValdez

I never called him a dictator. Your argument is with Sweet Lou.

14. HTM

HTM Member

So, then, what point were you trying to get across with this response?

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I do not think that that is likely but ...

Chances the first 44 Presidents would postpone/cancel elections for their won reelection interest ... 0%

Changes that the 45th President would do so ... non-****ing-zero.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Is this hat in relation to all the women he has sexually assaulted?

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What have we seen Trump do though?

He got himself impeached for breaking all sorts of laws, including obstructing Congress. And Trump's takeaway from that is that he can do anything he damn well wants.

I think it is a dice roll what Trump would do if he lost the election. He could demand a recount that takes 4 years. Moscow Mitch would not complain or stand up to Trump.

I can guarantee you that Trump will think ... What can I get away with? Can they make me leave?

In the end, I think Trump will leave, after many melt downs. I do know that Trump will not barricade himself in the WH, since he needs to golf every weekend.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

I was saying largely the same thing you said -- if he loses, he will not go quietly into the night. He's going to call it rigged, say there was fraud, demand recounts. Maybe, if it's very close, he can push a critical state into doubt. Doesn't mean he can unilaterally do whatever.

19. Nook

Nook Member

You know. when it comes to "martial law", I have real reservations about it and this extends well beyond Trump or any single President.

After the Marathon Bombing it felt to me that the federal government was a little too giddy and essentially exercised Martial law.

They locked down an entire city by force. They conducted searches without a warrant, people were removed from their homes at gun point against their will, transport was forced to be shut down...

My point being there is a thin veneer between what we are used to and government take over at the federal level...... so the idea that any President would not be successful implementing Martial Law to me is taking things for granted.

No Worries and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

He has gutted the Justice Department and secured many more loyalists in the judicial ranks as well as the federal gov't. All the steps he has taken is with consolidating power and is considered anti-democratic. His actions align more with Mubarak than it does with a POTUS. He has been taking troubling acts for the past 3 years and increasingly so.

The idea that you can't see him attempting to declare martial law is what's unhinged.