1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 13, 2018.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yes, if he struggles for 3-4 more weeks then you make changes. This discussion started with a guy wondering if they were about to move him back to AAA. That’s not how Luhnow works, he isn’t reactionary

If Bregman had struggled for 4-5 weeks he might have gone back also, but he didn’t

Some people (not you) don’t understand baseball, you can’t base anything on one week. Altuve is as good and as consistent as anyone, and he has plenty of one week stretches where he is terrible, they ALL do

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Rockies beat the Mariners on a walk off home run by Trevor Story.

That takes out some of the sting from today's loss.

3. Buck Turgidson

Bregman made his debut July 25, '16, Stros were coming off a playoff berth and were 3.5 games back of the best record in the AL, 2.5 back in the Division, and 1.5 games out of the WC.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/?month=7&day=24&year=2016

I wish I knew where to find those splits. That would be intriguing.

#203 Buck Turgidson, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  4. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

It certainly does. Nice to maintain a decent size lead in the Division. Very tough week for Mariners.

I think the Mariners and A's being better may help the Astros down the stretch. It feels like they need to be pushed and the Mariners/A's may be just good enough to push us but not threaten us if that makes sense.

Those games against Seattle and Oakland in August/Sept could be a great chance for the Astros to get into October form.

Yankees also lost today, which I like to see. Would rather see them get the Wildcard than Boston, even though Boston is a better team right now. Feel like the Yankees have extra motivation to beat us after '15 and '17 and concerned about our 2-5 record against them this year. We've struggled against some of their very mediocre pitching.

Feel like the Astros have more confidence playing Boston...

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The Mariners are a concern, but not too much. Astros control their fate much more easily with them vs "others" because of the incoming H2H.

The Yankees and, especially, Sox are far more worrisome. We finished playing them and they're better than SEA.

Tomstro likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They have 3 more against the Red Sox in September.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stros should take advantage. The 4-game split vs them sucked. The Sox are making our season seem worse than it is.

8. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

Tbh we struggle against a lot of mediocre pitchers. We couldn’t even hit against Liriano yesterday

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Except they were in the middle of a pennant chase and just barely out of the Wild Card at that point. Tucker started off at AAA relatively slowly and then he caught on fire. I expect, given the chance, he'll get his bat up to speed. I won't disparage anyone for struggling defensively in LF at MMP right away. It's got to be an adjustment with the Crawford Boxes and the strange angles. No, he's not here for his glove but I think they'll give him a chance to figure it out.

You don't give up on your just called up top prospect after a week. Doesn't take a brilliant GM mind like Luhnow to know that. Baseball can't be measured in such tiny sample sizes.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All of his 2+ innings? And balls weren't hit hard?

If they struggle against mediocre pitching, and they struggle against elite pitching... who exactly are they scoring all these runs against then?

Its comical to see how down people are on this team after a week of more than 1 loss... god forbid they actually have a losing month this season, whereby I'll expect true anarchy.

raining threes likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member