1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Plus he provides a threat to run. Even when he doesn't actually run for yards he buys time to throw down the field.

His awareness and understanding of the offense has been terrific. That one play where he audibled to pull foreman to his right side bc he saw the weak side blitz coming... You won't see that in the box score but it's those little things that make all the difference.

2. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

these penalties...jeez

did these fools forget how to play ball?

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What I haven't seen people talk about is how BOB is calling plays that best suits Watson. That's why he looked comfortable.

#2843 red5rocket, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    macho GRANDE and K-Low_4_Prez like this.
  4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

If Watson pans out then it makes all of the moves this entire offseason worth it. Nothing more enviable in the NFL than to have a cornerstone rookie scale QB with a super clean cap sheet to fill out the rest of the roster. Took a lot of discipline by Rick and OB to not flinch on Bouye but there's massive upside brewing with this combination of talent, youth, and cap flexibility.

5. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Cap flexibility? Aside from making Bob McEnron richer, how does that help this team?

Only a mega Bob's-load-swallower could be glad Bouye is gone.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bouye is not Revis. He will be exposed in Jacksonville.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

As much as I liked Bouye, he wasn't worth that money to me. He chose to go to the freakin Jags for what, 500k more? It's not like the Texans low balled him. He chose a 3% raise in income over being on a winning football team. I don't blame any of the parties involved, but I'm also happy we aren't overpaying...given that we have some contracts to take care of coming up.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Exactly.

Hopkins and Clowney still need attention within these next 2 seasons, so that money should be put to good use.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Maintaining cap flexibility is paramount with the upcoming extensions needed for Hopkins and Clowney. With what they did (or did not) do this offseason, they made sure the books are perfectly clean going forward... giving them the opportunity to extend their core players while also being able to add legitimate talent in FA if there's a good talent fit/need.

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I wouldn't say I'm glad Bouye is gone but we have depth at CB and teams like the Patriots succed by finding the Bouye types and not paying them.

11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

...or hurt. He essentially had 3/4 of one good season here...it just happened to be in a contract year for a defense that allowed the fewest yards in the league. Not saying he didn't earn the $$, but let's not act like he was a complete stud for all of his years here. He spent a lot of time injured, especially early on.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For those paying attention to the Pats-Jags game, Jimmy G thus far has looked worse than Savage and Blake Bortles has looked even worse than that.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And to those watching the Ravens-Redskins game.....Ryan Mallett needs Jesus.

macho GRANDE and CallMeTheDream like this.
  14. rezdawg

Wait, Jimmy has looked bad? 22-28, 235 yards, and 2 TDs...

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I only watched the beginning of that one, looks like he turned it around after the first few drives like Savage did.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm now watching Mitch Trubisky putting on an absolute clinic. As of the time I type this, he has yet to throw a less than perfect pass.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  17. showa13

showa13 Member

Came to say he looks solid

Developing plot twist: Trubisky is actually good?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he's got more passing TD's in this game than Savage has in his NFL career, and every single throw thus far has been absolutely perfect. He even had a really good scramble for a first down when the godawful Bears O line didn't block anyone. I would have never expected him to have it in him.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not clear on why so many people thought he was awful?

20. rezdawg

Not that he was awful, but he has only played in 13 college games and the Bears gave up a lot to take him that early in the draft. Definitely a very high risk move.