1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2019

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 14, 2019.

1. raining threes

This is crap

MLB will settle

They also are going to start hiring more white umpires so they dont have to deal with this crap.

Hernandez is doing minorities who want to become umpires a great disservice.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is possible it is both. Does it have to be both for Angel Hernandez? The former article didn't have anything that screamed racism towards Angel Hernandez.

The only argument I see in this article that potentially points to racism towards Angel Hernandez is this:
    Since 2010, 34 of the 35 World Series umpires have been white, and the notoriously hot-headed Joe West has appeared in two of them (2012, 2016). The most recent World Series featured none of the top five umpires in terms of accuracy, instead choosing the second-worst, John Hirschbeck, as well as a number of veterans. Experience, therefore, must weigh more heavily in the selection process than accuracy/performance.

If experience is a main criteria, this may be a point towards racism towards Angel Hernandez. I hate experience as a criteria as it should be on the person's merit. Having systems that depend on experience can be racist as former hiring practices likely weren't inclusive of all candidates.

When I think Angel Hernandez, I think Joe West. Without being able to hear conversations between umpires and players/managers, these are the two guys that seem to be in the most heated arguments. If I was MLB, I would not want either West or Hernandez. Game management skills should be the top measure of an umpire, IMO, and then game calling (not just balls and strikes, though instant replay helps on other calls) would be second.

Granted, West hadn't ejected Torre since 1992.

Edit: I should say, Angel Hernandez's number of ejections per season has gone down and in the past 4 or so seasons appears more in line with most umpires. So maybe his game management skills have improved(i.e., some ejections have to be made, but I much prefer umps that can calm situations down limiting the number of ejections needed).

These are racists trends. Does it point to racism against Angel Hernandez? If experience is a primary mechanism for umps to get promotions/WS duties (though I would say depending highly on experience would be racist considering historical hiring practices were not likely inclusive), yes there is at least some smoke here. If selections are based on merit, it may point to racism, but I would not see it towards Angel Hernandez.

#382 Joe Joe, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wouldn't mind if Luhnow flipped White/Kemp/Reed for a bat like Jose Abreu, Castellanos, Smoak, Choo, or Encarnacion. Any of those guys would look great in the 6 hole and likely Houston wouldn't have to take on much if any salary for any of those guys.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would add Fisher to that list and hold off on White for one more year.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If they acquire a bat that needs DH time, there will be no room for White on the roster, and he is out of options.

6. Buck Turgidson

Add Fisher, keep Kemp.

Those 3 could probably get you an A-ball pitcher with some upside.

7. Buck Turgidson

Today James' fastball was sitting 94-96, still trying to get the feel of his breaking stuff, only his 2nd outing, threw 34 pitches & faced 7 batters.

eta: 6 or so balls that got ripped by us got screwed up by the wind. Brantley should have had 2 HRs. Correa figured it out though: he hit one out to left that exited in about 1.5 seconds and never got 80 feet off the ground.

Luhnow in the booth today:

James could factor into the rotation in May or June, but once Hinch gets used to having him in the pen as his "firefighter" in various situations he'll probably object to taking him out of it; obviously that would mean the rotation is doing well or that they would turn to...

Wouldn't be surprised if Whitley, Martin and Bukauskas were all with the team at various points this year. Also mentioned Jose Hernandez as someone who opened some eyes this spring.

Felt that Toro was ready to advance and was being blocked by JD Davis, so that allowed them to get some different-type prospects from the Mets that we won't see for a few years

Alvarez impressed with his hitting ability - already knew about the power - and they view him as an OF right now ("doing as good a job as he could in the OF" was the direct quote)

Excited about what he's seen from Correa this spring and thinks he's going to have a big year. Lots of video work looking at his swing when he was healthy vs last season and been working on getting back to that. eta2: Blum and Kalas are geeked about Carlos this year. They're pretty much geeked about this whole team. They sound like fans.

#387 Buck Turgidson, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    mikol13, awc713, cmlmel77 and 3 others like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know it is irrational, but I do fear that James is going to dominate so well as a reliever that he never gets a chance to start again.

9. Buck Turgidson

At least for this season it doesn't sound irrational at all.

eric.81 likes this.
  10. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I agree. Besides, plenty of top shelf starters were dominant relievers for a year or two first. David Price comes to mind.

If he's getting efficient, high-leverage outs for the Houston Astros, I don't care what inning(s) he does it in. If he looks like peak Andrew Miller for us this season, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all (nor should any of us!!).

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wouldn't fear it. Let's assume he's in the pen and dominates. Our opponents now face essentially a 6 inning game. Osuna/Presley/James could be the best back end in the league and completely interchangeable. I can live with that for this year.

LonghornFan likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not irrational. I predict James will be one of the 20 most valuable relievers in baseball this season.

Luckily Whitley, Martin, and Bukauskas all look like they will get a chance to establish themselves in the rotation at some point as injuries and potentially moving Peacock and McHugh back to the pen make room.

Like James, Cionel Perez is another guy I think might end up being a truly elite reliever. Remember, there are 3 pending free agents in the bullpen (Harris, Rondon, Smith), so there’s opportunity in both places. A 2020 bullpen of a Devenski, James, Perez, Pressly, and Osuna plus the other depth arms in AA/AAA could be REALLY special.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

o_O

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Via

Astros rotation against Tampa to open the season

Thurs March 28: Justin Verlander
    Fri March 29: Gerrit Cole
    Sat March 30: Collin McHugh
    Sun April 1: Wade Miley

Brad Peacock is the Astros’ fifth starter.

Framber Valdez is still in camp. A.J. Hinch told him tonight that his "best chance to make the team is in the bullpen." It's between Valdez and Reymin Guduan for the final bullpen spot.

AJ Reed was optioned to Triple-A

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Has Reed slimmed down at all?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Guduan sent to minor league camp

King1 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

That is a bit surprising. Guduan looked really good this spring. Valdez did look good his last couple of ST outings, actually could command the strike zone.

I did hear a mention of Peacock/Valdez maybe tandem starting early in the year, so maybe that plays in? Maybe I made that up?

Joe Joe likes this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Ehh.. I don't care either way. Guduan throws harder and Valdez has better breaking stuff. They both struggle with command. I expect this last bullpen spot to be flexibile with guys moving up and down. Perez, JBB, Deetz, McCurry, Sneed, etc... lots of guys could get a shot.