1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Melo Doubters Thread (not just another Melo thread, well sorta)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the record, all together.....

I can't believe how so many respectable basketball minds have this much concern about him. He's gonna be fantastic here, and, WE are going to be great.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's been middling to bad for a few years, so I don't see him being fantastic here.

I'm not against the signing (if it's for the vet minimum). But, I don't think it's unfair to point out how bad he was at OKC (production and effort) and how bad he's been elsewhere. We hope that his strengths outweigh his huge negatives, but it's not a sure thing. But again, for the vet minimum, it's worth the gamble.

Mazulis, Erbnwarfare, Zboy and 5 others like this.
  3. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Love the positive mentality. Cant wait for the season to start. Lets all stick together, we all have the same goal this year. Lets party like 1995. 1994 has been erased from my memory.

hakeem94 and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  4. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Elsewhere as in New York and Denver? He was an All-Star, put up good production and typically fell short against superior talent.

Last year was his only bad season by any metric.

skroodup25, hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Well... we really have no clue what kind of role he's gonna have... I mean after that crow gets delivered he may be obsolete and reduced to the 4th or 5th option... right?

lol ;)

Plowman likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's not true. Win shares, BPM, and VORP all fell off for Melo after 2013-2014. These are, last I checked, metrics.

Anyway, I'm not here to take a dump on Melo. I just wanted give my viewpoint based off what I've seen and based off his numbers.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I'll be to Melo what tinman is to TMac

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

In before the lock and get my Melo thread of the day fix. He MIGHT play a few games were he is awesome, but many will be ho hum.

10. Vanilla Thunder

Vanilla Thunder Contributing Member

O.k I will play and start by saying I hope I am completely frigging wrong...The Rockets success is more important than me being right and if someone quotes me in a signature...I will be the first to laugh at my dumbassitude

My concerns are as follows

1) I haven't seen Melo to show concern for much of anything beyond
    HIS status as a starter
    HIS numbers
    I hope he can buy into the team concept

2) I have heard he is a replacement for Ryno not Ariza ...but Ryno is still here and Ariza isn't can Melo still play switch D in a midseason game in Indiana

3) Only so many basketballs...what if he shoots his 3's at an appalling percentage...will he keep shooting. We don't want him to castrate himself like Ryno but we don't want him shooting at a 28 percent clip like he is Steph Curry.

Why not? likes this.
  11. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Knicks went into the gutter after that year. Thats when Phil took over lol it just got so bad for us. When we signed Melo to that deal in 2014 the goal was to add legit talent in 2015 and 2016 with our cap space but we bombed every year and the talent just wasn't there. His best teammates was a rookie KP and Robin Lopez then 2nd year KP and contract year D. Rose. It was tough to watch honestly.

12. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I.D.I.O.T.

Sajan likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

good thing expectations are so low we are never going to be disappointed.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was always on the menu. It just wasn't clarified whether he would be an hors d'oevre, soup, fish, salad, main course, or dessert. : )

#14 Plowman, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Im on record. Always liked melo offensive game. It had no weakness. He's gonna be able to be him. Thats one thing i like about harden. He will let u so ur thang. I can wait for that 4 headed monster. He atleasts average is more than what ariza reason did n our offense will throttle all in site. Yule c. N defense will still be top 10

16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I can already foresee a lot of intense arguments between @H-Town Melo and clutchfans

Why not?, Snow Villiers and hakeem94 like this.
  17. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Nope.

18. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

The crow isn't even spoiled yet and ur creating a new melo thread? You can't be trusted plowman

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread. @don grahamleone should have figured this one out first though

hakeem94 and Plowman like this.
  20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Exactly... we ALL knew Melo was on the menu from the time OKC declared they were gettin him off the books... that souffle was ordered before we even got to the restaurant... in the meantime - BRING ON THE BIRD - and I dont mean Larry...

lol

hakeem94, D-rock and Plowman like this.