1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No matter who Biden picks, and it may be a surprise, Republicans will be “screaming” something. It’s all they can do now. trump is indefensible, so lies and noise are their playbook.

Rashmon, Nook, mdrowe00 and 3 others like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The screaming of Benghazi will be drowned out by whatever stupid **** Trump says every other day.

What part of the electorate do you think will decide their vote on Bengazi?

The people that care are already voting for Trump.

Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that is pick is important. I doubt that it will have a big effect in the long run. Initially it will have an effect and during the convention it will.

RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This is mostly right. He's highly unlikely to seek a second term, but he hasn't announced anything like that. It's been vaguely hinted at and presumed but he hasn't made any announcements about this.

Even so, his age dictates that the VP choice will be of greater consequence than any in a long, long time.

RayRay10, Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I can see why you might think that, but Biden is a unique candidate in that it’s very possible he won’t run for re-election in 2024. This type of scenario almost never happens.

So, yeah, his running mate is an important choice as they very well might be the de facto nominee in 2024. Sure, there are others that will try to run, but you can pretty much guarantee a successful Biden first term will result in his VP choice springboarding towards the 2024 nomination.

Also, she’s only been a Senator for 4 years. She isn’t some lifelong politician. I don’t really consider her “establishment”, though that term annoys me and isn’t really a distinction I care to debate. Just saying.

RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One thing we can count on is that trump will “tweet” a whole series of bizarre things about whoever Biden selects. He’ll get in front of cameras and spin one lie after another. His sycophants and enablers will echo whatever he says, until he says something different, then they will echo that. It has become so entirely predictable.

I should be amazed that his supporters, in their delirium and awe of this creature, still pretend that every utterance is gospel, that every word trump says has an earth shaking meaning not only to them, but to the entire country. That the opposite is true goes right over the heads of a minority who continue to believe that they are something more. It would be boring beyond belief, a third rate “reality show,” if trump didn’t hold the one position in this country that allows a psychopath, enveloped in his narcissism and fear, to be a clear and present danger both to the United States, and to the world beyond our borders.

7. jcf

jcf Member

You are right. I was wrong. I misremembered the reports of his signaling it, but he clarified shortly thereafter. My bad.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The news coverage indicates that his advisors are nudging him away from Kamala, not toward her. I feel pretty confident his wife and sister are doing the same. It's probably true that Joe doesn't hold a grudge about that very personal debate attack, but I think his wife Jill probably does.

I agree his personal choice if it were him and him alone, without outside considerations, would be Rice. But I think Warren would be very close behind for personal and governing reasons. Any ideological differences seem to have largely vanished when Covid happened and Biden responded by saying he wanted his presidency to be FDR-like. That's Warren all over.

I don't think age is necessarily a disqualifying though race (white) probably is and probably should be. Another way to look at this selection though is to ask not just 'who's ready to be president' but also 'who would be the best president.' And that doesn't have to mean a changing of the guards on this ticket.

I heard a surprisingly interesting podcast on RCP yesterday that indicated he could make two kinds of choices--one to pass the torch and one to sort of put a pause on that to focus on righting the ship, with the person posing the theory saying they thought he'd prefer the pause option. And we know he doesn't want a VP that will overshadow him in any way.

Those qualifications above (on the pause option) sound a lot like Rice or, even more, Bass to me. Bass is young enough, being in her 60s, but she's indicated she's not interested in the top job. Rice might well be interested in it, but knows not to let that get in the way of being a supportive partner in governing. Warren too, race aside if we can do that briefly, would make an excellent next president. And, if she were to run in 2024, she would be younger than Biden is now. And Warren has taken to the role of beta-dog, with enthusiasm and seemingly without reservation.

I see a strong case to be made for any of these three women--Rice, Warren, Bass--that I don't see with Harris.

Remember the 2008 primaries when Obama was criticized for not having executive experience and how he pointed to the success of his campaign up to that point as an example of performing well, re: executive experience? Everyone keeps saying Harris makes sense because she's been vetted and has run for president but she managed her campaign exceptionally badly, allowing competing factions in her campaign to dodge responsibility, leading to multiple leaks placing blame on one another, and Harris never taking responsibility for any of it, internally or externally. That was some poor leadership that led to a very poor result.

If the prevailing rule is 'do no harm,' Harris isn't the pick and it makes sense that Biden's advisors are looking for a way not to pick her.

#308 Batman Jones, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I get all that, but never underestimate the stupidity of the average American voter.

Hopefully Benghazi would be drowned out, but take the voter suppression, the stooge in charge of the U.S. mail, the electoral college, among all else, and throw in a mantra that stays some people from voting for Biden during a pandemic..........Yeah, I still think Kamala Harris is the safe choice, but Biden may surprise us all. We'll see soon.

Still don't know where are the commercials like, "150,000 and counting. No coordinated federal response and no response at all until two months after he was first briefed on the threat to the United States. How many more Americans does Donald Trump get to kill so he can keep his job?"

Go for the jugular. It's the truth.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know. might backfire on Biden, e.g.,

Nook, Astrodome and RayRay10 like this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think Biden should pick a VP, who will not be interested in Running in 2024. There are many other cabinet positions for those that will, like Kamala Harris.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Very powerful message. ...and of course Biden came across as a senile fool who preferred to play the "xenophobia card" instead of protecting American lives.

14. bigtexxx

oh....and Kamala has this nomination in the bag. I don't think anybody else is close.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

"So... do you think I should be taking insulin?"

Nook, jiggyfly, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL. You should read Woodward’s account and determine if you think DJT is capable of any on-the-job learning whatsoever.

RayRay10, Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Trump has been an idiot with respect to the Corona Virus, but the ad is his best spin possible. Even this is misleading. Trump banned China only travel trying to play the xenophobe card on that date when the bulk of the infection was at that point arriving from Europe and places like Italy.

Wrong again Trump and the Fox addicted poor bigtexxx.

Nook, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  18. bigtexxx

Biden Says He Can't Wait To Find Out Who He Picked For VP

https://babylonbee.com/news/biden-excited-to-find-out-who-he-picked-for-vp

WASHINGTON, D.C.—According to sources in the Biden campaign, the presidential candidate is on pins and needles waiting to see who it is he picked to run for vice president on his ticket.

Campaign aides say it's been Biden's most anticipated event since he found out he was running for president a few weeks ago.

A reporter asked Biden if he could hint about his VP pick during a brief interlude from his stay in the basement, where he was allowed to come upstairs to get some snacks.

"Oh boy -- I hope it's a real classy broad," he said as he drank straight from the milk jug. "I bet I picked somebody good and smart. A chick with class and style. You know, in my day, dames were dames and guys were guys. None of this 'guys becoming dolls' and 'dolls becoming guys' stuff. We would go down to the hop and do the mashed potato. You know, there's lots of good nnnn-- nutrients and stuff in potatoes. Potato is a funny word."

"Po - ta - to."

"OK, Joe, let's go," said an aide, shoving him down into the basement. "What Joe was trying to say is that he's chosen a well-qualified candidate who will run the country -- err, I mean, help him run the country -- with excellence."

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with this what I have an issue with is you saying the DNC should be promoting anyone for VP.

When is the last time a VP actually won the presidency?

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree.

RayRay10 likes this.