1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I think if you were to ask Biden personally who he, and he alone, prefers without any input, it’s Susan Rice.

But his team and advisors, along with the DNC, are probably nudging him towards Kamala.

The party needs a changing of the guard, so to speak, in terms of new leadership. All of the heavy hitters in the party are either old (Biden, Bill or Hillary, Bernie, Warren) or named Obama. This would be a great time for someone young and fresh to get “promoted” to a more prominent role on a national scale. An audition to run for President with a huge head start in 2024. I’ve never been her biggest fan, but I get it. She checks off a lot of boxes.

No Worries, RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of people will look at it that way, as they should, and then they'll vote for Biden regardless of who he picks. I lean towards Rice because she's really intelligent, has deep foreign policy experience (she would immediately have career people in the State Department cheering), and could help Biden govern from day one. Biden knows her very well and respects her. While she's never held an elected office, Republicans would have a difficult time attacking her choice for that reason. trump didn't either. Unlike trump, she's had many years of experience actually governing, much of that associated with Biden.

I'll be a little surprised if he doesn't pick her. Of course, I'm surprised all the time.

;-)

RayRay10, jcf, Jayzers_100 and 2 others like this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I completely agree on this VP pick. Warren maybe but I think Bernie's voice has diminished as far as who will be the Congressional voice of the left. He won't have the clout he had previously after the election is done.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

umm, she's supposed to be next in line to be leader of the free world? I don't think so.

Joe Biden VP contender Rep. Karen Bass on Sunday walked back comments praising late Cuban Communist dictator Fidel Castro in 2016 — insisting she didn’t know he was despised by his own people.

“I absolutely would have not put that statement out,” Bass told Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday” when he pressed the Californian lawmaker.

“Lesson learned, would not do that again, for sure,” she continued, telling Wallace she now understood Castro’s leadership was a “brutal regime.”

"Karen Bass, VP contender for Biden, renounces her praise of Fidel Castro":

https://nypost.com/2020/08/02/karen-bass-renounces-her-praise-of-fidel-castro/

Attached Files:

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

Think again.

Does Benghazi ring a bell?

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

she’s not my choice, but why does changing her stance on castro make her ill-suited.

Also, do you think mike pence has a studied, nuanced view of international politics? Low bar here. It’s wrong to hold parties to different standards.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I agree that Biden prefers Rice yet Kamala is the most well-rounded. What I don’t get is why Karen Bass is picking up so much momentum. Let’s face it she’s not attractive, not a governor or senator, hasn’t been in Cabinet etc. I don’t get the hype

RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

changing her stance? not the issue

the fact that as recently as 2016 she apparently didn't know ANYTHING about Cuba or Fidel Castro? not ready for prime time

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Except the odds of Biden completing his presidency is much lower than any time in recent history.

Harris is by far the biggest loser pick. Sure, he could do worse. Its like the democrats are trying to tempt fate in getting Trump reelected.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

RayRay10, FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do tell.

My bad.

They all look alike.:eek:

I could have sworn I read something saying she was Latino or maybe I just assumed.

I like her and Rice all of the others seem like lite weights or posers, I have to add Warren to the list of likes.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is a bad idea nobody should be looking to the VP pick as promoting the next thing, the DNC already has enough trust issues than to be seen as pushing a candidate for 20/24.

Don't really see Kamala as new and fresh anyway, she is establishment all the way.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

While Susan Rice is extremely accomplished and intelligent, she is such a lightning rod for criticism. The Repubs will scream BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI until Election Day. Those who say it's no longer an issue underestimate the stupidity of a large swath of the American electorate.

I'd be stunned if Biden did choose her.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

How is she the biggest loser pick? She has the most robust resumé out of anyone in contention

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

"the squad" might not be around for a second term but a large contingent of any presumptive Biden administration will wheel him out to fight for any reelection because a change would mean they are out of power and need to fight in the scramble.

17. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Any VP candidate for any party will get attacked....political parties find an angle, so in that sense, not sure what is different between candidate X vs Y?

Also, if Benghazi is the point of attack on Rice, it seems rather odd since all of it was pinned on Hillary/Obama and the hearings basically ended as a nothing burger. I mean it has been 4 years since we've heard much about Benghazi (or at least it feels like it).

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

[Whataboutism] and Trump is ready for prime time?[/Whataboutism]

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Trump has been President for three and a half years now

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And he is still bad on knowing foreign stuff. And his lack of knowledge didn't disqualify him from running.

Dubious, Deckard and RayRay10 like this.