1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This. She would become a very strong candidate. She would have my vote.

2. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Looked like Biden's support went to Pete in Iowa. In New Hampshire, Klobuchar peeled support from him and Warren.

I do think that Klobuchar is in for a rude awakening next week as she finally gets challenged on Myon Burrell

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Bidens advantage was his ability to get AA vote. That's why he thinks he will do well in South Carolina with a heavy AA population. Klubocher does the worst of any candidate with AAs (even worse than mayor pete). Bloomberg will benefit the most from Bidens collapse because he will get most those votes.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regarding the Myron Burrell case Klobuchar does have some insulation on that as she wasn’t the prosecutor during the second trial. Also Tyesha Edwards’ family have supported Klobuchar including making campaign appearances for her. Klobuchar herself has said she is not against reopening the case but it is out of her hand as she. I longer is Hennepin county prosecutor.

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The attacks on her infuriate me as a prosecutor myself. 1) I’ve yet to see anything indicating he might be innocent. 2) this isn’t CSI, there isn’t blood, semen and DNA crawling on every inch of this Earth...even when you do have DNA it’s often inconclusive. 3) apparently witnesses YEARS AFTER the trial are recanting their testimony. Again, how does that reflect on what Amy knew at the time?

People don’t realize that witness testimony is how cases are tried. If multiple people are saying that someone committed a crime, are we supposed to just shrug and say “nah there’s no DNA, we don’t believe you”. Nonsense. The talking points against her are without merit. Not once, but twice, juries heard the witness testimony and decided it was credible and strong enough to convict. If there’s new or conflicting evidence, now, fine. Not sure how that could possibly reflect on her.

6. Major

Major Member

I have to say I don't know much about this case except what I've read recently on the internet, but what is your opinion about the paying-cash-for-informants and them not looking into the defendant's alibi (checking the convenience store footage, etc)? On the surface, it seems like really sloppy police work to me - but I also don't know how much was brought up at the trial or if that's really part of the prosecutor's role or more about the police?

Bigger picture, she seems to have had a bit of a reputation of going after minorities on petty crimes to clean up the streets. Sort of some of the same issues Bloomberg may be facing. Not sure how much of that is really factual or just embellished now that she's running for President. She hasn't been the focus of any attacks yet, so it will be interesting to see if any of these things come up as she ascends the totem pole.

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Good questions. First of all, police getting names based on hearsay from any source is a legitimate method. You see people putting up billboards all the time for cash rewards relating to information about “X” murder victim. You have to start somewhere then whittle down the information as it comes. (Not saying the methods used in this case were particularly scrupulous, haven’t seen enough to judge. But name-gathering is an important investigative process).

Second, there’s a ton that journalists don’t report on when it comes to trials. I get that you can’t include every nuance in an article, but I went back and read court opinions that went into great detail about how this guy had allegedly participated in many drive-by shootings of rival gang members prior to this homicide. Journalists love reporting a juicy “wrongful conviction” story and often omit key facts.

as far as her history as a whole with minority prosecutions, definitely attributable with the types of arrests the police were executing at the time. District attorneys aren’t in charge of the police. Not to say we don’t have discretion when it comes to how harshly we pursue certain types of cases, but I wouldn’t pin it all on her.

RayRay10, Nook, Os Trigonum and 2 others like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"What should Biden do now?"

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2020/02/what-should-biden-do-now-to-me-its.html

excerpt:

I think he should get out now, not skew the voting any longer. He's not going to make it, and he doesn't deserve to make it. He's been the Jeb of the 2020 Democratic race, standing in the way of others but unable to succeed himself. He should bow out now, which will look gracious. It won't look gracious later, after 2 or more weeks of clinging to lost hope. He can endorse Pete or Amy and give one of them a boost now, when it will really count.

But then, if what he secretly wants is to help Bloomberg, he should just cling to his horrible campaign and keep telling us it's all about South Carolina. Choke off support for Pete/Amy and keep the ground clear for Bloomberg's big entrance on Super Tuesday.​

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. mick fry

mick fry Member

No ways tired Joe is going to need that energy for the upcoming investigations and legal fight. We need a candidate that can withstand the onslaught of impeachment proceedings once elected.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The reality is NH and Iowa are only a combined 4.5 million people. NV and SC will be 8 million, then super Tuesday will blow the doors off the race. Biden had a poor start, but the hot takes of dropping out are too much. I think it's still most likely that Biden walks out of super Tuesday with more delegates then Amy or Pete, whether he gets more than Bloomberg or not is a total question mark.

I don't think anybody outside of possibly Gabbard drops out before super Tuesday. Biden has too much in it, Pete has done too well, Amy has Minny waiting for her.

RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So you think it's possible the Democrats could lose control of the House while simultaneously winning the presidency?

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Nah not really. I was under the impression the Senate could start an impeachment inquiry if so required.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Nah, the House shall have the sole power of impeachment.

mick fry likes this.
  18. mick fry

mick fry Member

19. TheresTheDagger

20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I will be casting my (early) vote in the Arkansas primary today for Joe Biden. For months I’ve been on the Amy train but the Vegas debate showed me that Biden still has that fighting spirit and executive experience. Hopefully Bloomberg falls and Joe can win my state.

Klobuchar might be the better campaigner and debater most nights, but I honestly believe Joe would make the best president.