1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't know. How do we find the money to have the DOD pay for clutch discs in bulk that cost 32 dollars per unit to manufacture at 1500 dollar unit price? Life... finds a way.

2. jcf

jcf Member

Ok. I am not a big fan of the government effectively deciding what professions are worth. Making something completely paid by taxes likely means the government will determine compensation. If the idea is to make professors make less so that their students have a better chance of swinging for the fences (entrepreneur) versus a highly paid engineering job at a big company, I'm not enamored of it.

I'm not suggesting that is your intent. But, hoping we find the money seems like it could end up with those providing others with an education subsidizing their loftier economic goals.

3. fchowd0311

I think you don't understand my point. It's about what we prioritize. Why do professors have to make less? We certainly prioritize inflating the revenue of defense contractors using tax payer money but for some reason that is an absurd concept for education? Why is that?

No one said these changes are easy. A massive paradigm shift is required.

4. jcf

jcf Member

I am pretty sure I understand your point. But you start with the result you want. Free college. You give an example of why: so good engineers don't have to accept a highly paid corporate job but can instead take the risk of being an entrepreneur (which I read as "making a ton of money.")

You have now said that professors should not necessarily be paid less in a world where college is free. Ok. Where does that money come from? Will you share the results of a successful start-up with those who taught you?

A "paradigm shift" is not actually an answer. There may be an answer that works but simply hoping doesn't make it so.

fchowd0311 and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. fchowd0311

Didn't I already state taxes? We already live in a society where the wealthy pay a smaller share of their income in taxes than the middle class and poor which is absurd. We have a defense industry run rampant full of excessive gifting and you can't find out how we pay professors publicly?

Surely your mind can be somewhat creative and find a way.

High school teachers are also publicly paid from taxes. Do you ask whether high school teachers need a portion of the money you earned for teaching you skills in high school?

We as a society have determined that its citizens shall pool a portion of everyone's wealth for public goods and services that improve our society. We have corporations taking advantage of public research from public universities, public infrastructure such as roads and telecommunication utility lines and even a pool of healthy elderly people who aren't dying in the streets due to Medicare and social security and hence can buy their products. So yes, they can pay their fair share of taxes and we as a society can determine how to spend it to best benefit us collectively.

I liked you post because it's a nice change of pace actually discussing policy which is a nice chance of pace in the D&D.

#845 fchowd0311, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Nook, mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

Not really my job to figure out how to pay for things you propose, is it?

With high school teachers, I think they are sorely underpaid.

However, as a whole, college professors deserve to be paid a lot more than a high school teacher. They have to have more education, teach tougher courses and are required to publish for tenure (or at least that was the case -- my knowledge is stale). Since we have been talking about engineering, to be a good professor I assume one has to know the area well and also have a gift for teaching. I also assume to be a great professor, one needs a deep understanding of the area so as to challenge your best students as well as a gift for teaching. Does that fit your experience?

I was gigging you a bit on the "portion of the money" but I have a hard time envisioning most good, much less great, professors staying in the field for government pay. I am sure some will out of love for what they do, but understandably many will go elsewhere.

I get that you would turn to increased taxes to pay for it. But, at some point, we will need to figure out everything that ideally would be free and then prioritize. Taxes are not an endless resource. With climate change, healthcare, and all of the other worthy aspirations, at some point we have to realistically discuss how to pay for it.

Enjoyed it too.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

9. cml750

cml750 Member

Nice gesture by Liz.

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Depends on what she sent him...:D

[​IMG]

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think the comment section pretty much debunked the article.

Nook, adoo and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

She needs to lie a bunch more, about 15 times per day!

And in this case, it appears she didn't necessarily lie, damn it.
    (Standing policies can -- or definitely could back in the day -- heavily push people to resignations and "sad to see her go" types of claptrap.)

Up your game, Liz! More lying, real lying! Things we can disprove in 6 seconds on google, pls.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I need some crude pejorative for pregnant liar that'll piss off libtards.

Donny ditch the golf course and get to work!

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

She was already teaching in the 60s... she is extremely old -- maybe she really did know Pocahontas.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

media running interference hard for Warren's lie that she was fired for being pregnant

20. dmoneybangbang

The beauty about Elizabeth Warren is the GOP won't let her do what she wants. I'm pretty staunchly anti 21st conservatism, I view their supply side policies as the greatest contributor to the negative effects of globalization, but I need a buffer against some of Warren's more aggressive policies.

Nook likes this.