1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[OFFICIAL] Democratic Presidential Primaries

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rashmon, Jun 25, 2019.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

77,000 votes decided the 2016 election. That’s ignoring Russian interference and the Comey Letter, which also single-handedly tipped the scale.

To seriously suggest Trump won easily in 2016 is ludicrous.

2. VanityHalfBlack

I think he'll do fine against pocahontas

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This seems like a crucial issue for the 2020 campaign. Ye-ah.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So Donald Trump actually is a better president than Biden would be. Now I know. Thanks to the TrumpSoldier for exposing this.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

This is the reason Trump won.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hillary won the popular vote and Warren is more personable than Hillary and has fewer political downsides.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Warren in a statistical tie with Biden in the latest 3 consecutive polls!

Please, please let Biden fall off already. Bernie's my first choice, but Warren is a million times better than Biden.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I like Warren (and Yang), but I wonder how she will do in these states vs. Trump: Pennsyvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I think the results from these 3 states will determine the winner. Forget about Texas -- it never comes up Dems in presidential elections.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Firstly, I think she’s smart enough to see what happened the last election and will actually put effort into campaigning in those states. It would be unfathomable if she, or any other dem candidate didn’t this time around.

Second, Warren's strongest attribute is likely economic policies, something she has a HUGE leg up on Biden over, she has strongly opposed NAFTA, TPP, free trade and has been famous for being "tough on wall street". So I see her, just like Bernie, as golden for the rust belt states.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, the case against Warren is that you like her but are worried other people won't like her. Let those people worry about whether they like her. She wins them over, or she can't. But don't vote against her because you feel other people might vote against her.

RayRay10 and Rashmon like this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Warren about to pass Biden in RCP average.

upload_2019-10-2_13-53-46.png

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I hope you're right. Those are serious battlegrounds in the GE. There aren't many easy answers to solve their problems.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Warren passed Biden in polling average today.

I know Biden is a weak frontrunner, but I didn't think this would happen so early.

His decline will accelerate precipitously now.

15. baller4life315

We’ll see what happens at Tuesday’s debate.

Warren is going to be the clear target. It’ll be interesting to see if (or when) anyone lands some punches. Especially, on healthcare. She’s a fairly easy target with her refusal to acknowledge the middle class tax increase that would accompany M4A.

She can’t dodge that question forever.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Whatever happens to Warren likely won't stop Biden's backslide.

We may see 2 or 3 different candidates take the pole position between now and Super Tuesday, but Biden is unlikely to be one of them.

If Biden decides to shift gears and start throwing haymakers and taking chances, that might do it, but it's so unlike him.

He's also far more likely to misfire with his reaches. His campaign has been slowing down greatly. He is not built to play catch-up.

17. baller4life315

His main objective will be to denounce any wrongdoing by himself and his son, and to hammer Trump on Ukraine and impeachment. I’m sure his advisors are warning him about appearing too soft on attacks on his family (and another potential Dukakis moment). I expect him to be loudest on this topic.

After that it’ll be more of the same: styling himself as center-left and pragmatic. Lots of “bottom line” and “this is Amurica!” moments. He’s still strong enough in the polls and name recognition to lead the pack if Warren gets roughed up. I wouldn’t count him out.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm not even sure this will come up TBH. Not unless one of the other candidates forces it out there.

Whatever happens to Warren won't significantly boost Biden unless it's Biden taking a bite out of her, which is unlikely.

Even if he were to do that, debate-gotcha moments are fickle and fleeting. Like I said, Biden's campaign is slowing down and was never built to play catch-up.

Losing his halo of inevitably and "defacto choice" status is a big deal.

19. baller4life315

Make no mistake: Ukraine and impeachment will be the dominant topic at Tuesday’s debate. You can count on that.

Biden will definitely either be challenged or offered the opportunity to clear the air and defend his family’s involvement.

There’s no way that topic won’t come up.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There's a huge difference between talking impeachment and talking about Hunter Biden.

I do not expect the moderators to put any attention on the Biden family or their involvement.

(Edit: CNN is hosting so I give it a marginally greater chance than if it were on NBC/MSNBC)

If they do, it will be a softball they toss to him to put a positive spin on the situation.

It will be up to the other candidates to go on the offensive with it, but taking a swipe at Biden over this is a risky move on two fronts.

First, it will be seen as going after a candidate's family. Second, it will be seen as hurting the impeachment of Trump.

Someone may be desperate enough to take that risk. I'm just not positive about it.