1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cowboys @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

BOB didn't get credit for last year because most positive plays happened after the called play didn't work and Watson just made something happen on his own. This was proven when Watson went down and the offense did absolutely nothing after that. There were plenty of people who were happy about BOB getting an extension because they bought into the notion that he was to be given credit for Watson's success....and that's already been debunked. It's clear to anyone paying attention that BOB does nothing but hold Watson and the rest of the team back.

bilaal14 and napalm06 like this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Lol. Watson led the league in scoring last year.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Trust watson, let him throw it... wait why didn't you run it there... why didn't you qb sneak... wait why let Watson run it... He literally did every play ppl on here asked for and none of it was executed right so it's his fault. smh

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think you're hoping that using the word "narrative" makes it seem like it can't be true.

Here's some data to support this "narrative":
    Constant variable: Bill O'Brien
    Experimental Variable: Quarterback
    Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett, Case Keenum, Brian Hoyer, TJ Yates, Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Tom Savage, Deshaun Watson

Conclusion: Drastic improvement under Deshaun Watson. Is the improvement owed to Bill O'Brien in any way? If so, please provide evidence of what changed.

What you call a "no win" situation is exactly what bad coaches put themselves in. You want a coach that can win.

Deshaun doesn't make O'Brien look like a competent coach. He makes him look like a frantic game manager that's in over his head. This roster has no business losing to Blaine Gabbert, or getting 0 TDs from 9 plays inside the 5 yard line, or having a coach that says: "not my job", "can't put my finger on it", "we're going to fix mistakes", and "I don't know", "I have to coach better" at every single interview for 5 years.

It's just freaking filibustering. And the accountability never kicks in from the owner so the fans demand it. Fans don't trust this organization's competence, which is why you're getting this reaction. Someone has to appear to be a trustworthy leader.

In business and coaching, you expect someone to have a strategy they can articulate and explain exactly what they're going to do to get there. In this case, the fans are the stockholders, and we're looking for coherent sentences about what's missing and where we can find it. Until then a lot of great players are wasting their primes; especially Watt, Clowney, Hopkins and Watson. 4 of the best players in Texans history on both sides of the ball right now; and we can only fall into field goal over-time wins?

#1144 napalm06, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

O'Brien got credit while it was happening. Even here. But when Deshaun went down and the offense went to nothing with the QB coach picked to start game 1, yes he lost some of that shine. If it was all O'Brien, the offense would have had more success than it did when Deshaun went down. It was obvious that Deshaun deserved more of the credit for that. I personally wasn't too impressed with the mediocre record even with the offense putting up all those points.

Watson was dynamic in college. National champion, beat Alabama, heisman finalist, etc. See above about stats vs wins. Head coaches shouldn't and usually don't get credit for stats as much as wins. Stats are usually for players and coordinators. Andy Reid is 5-0 right now. Andy Reid has done it multiple times, with multiple teams, and multiple quarterbacks. He's earned it. And even with that, I see a whole lot more praise for Patrick Mahommes than Andy Reid.

Not to worry, the Texans will end up 9-7 and O'Brien will get the credit for weathering the storm and you'll get to see him for the next few years.

6. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

My biggest issue with Obrien is he coaches scared and plays not to lose. End of first half on 1 yd line--calls shotgun pass--doesn't work... Fast forward to second half 4th quarter similar situation 4th and G from the 1--kicks FG.

So it didn't work in the first half and now we just kick it for the narrow lead? Does he realize even if you get stuffed you set up your defense with an amazing opportunity.

Just doesn't make sense.

bilaal14 likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I do give him credit for going for it on 4th and 1. I didn't like the play call but it made season since it was the end of the half. You assume you can get the 1 yard but if you don't, the other team doesn't have time to score any points. And they got the ball first in the 2nd half.

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

A sign of a good coach is one that can make something out of nothing. He had some of the worst qbs in the league and still managed to go 9-7 and make the playoffs in two of those years. Most teams would be dead last if they had the qbs Obrien had to work with.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He made nothing out of nothing, but the defense was good enough to carry the team early on.

10. tobster

tobster Member

No for real! They can admit before the game their team sucks hahaha... Good sports unlike the rest of them

weakfromtoday likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

O’Brien on Watson getting hit so much "He’s a great competitor. He’s trying to help his team win. Obviously, those are plays we want to cut down on. That’s not a sustainable way to play."

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) October 8, 2018

"He’s our No. 1 guy. Everyone in the league knows that. We try to target him 20-25 times in a game." – O’Brien on DeAndre Hopkins making big play like the OT catch last night. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) October 8, 2018

"Our secondary is playing better and better as they get used to playing together." -Bill O’Brien #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) October 8, 2018

O’Brien says he’ll have an update on CB Kayvon Webster (quad) by Wednesday, whether he’ll be day-to-day or out longer. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) October 8, 2018

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Whats ironic is: you have an avatar pic of milk hair and youre defending butt chin.

Dont get me wrong. I was a defender of his for a long while, but this year, there are no more excuses for him. Hes got nowhere else to hide, no one to hide behind, and there is a blaring difference between a good coach, competent coach and a dumbass.

macho GRANDE and Htownballer38 like this.
  13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

And Watson is still making the coach look good. Have you not seen his terrible play calling. Do you not see a coach who clearly doesn't know situational football. Not knowing when to call timeouts. Not knowing how to get the best out his players consistently. The freaking slow starts.

Man we should be 4-1 at best or 3-2.

I can't believe people are still defending Bill O'Brien

bilaal14 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I never thought a win against the Cowboys could be so unsatisfying.

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's a mixture of both, granted he had sht qbs, he is extremely lucky that he's in such a sht division and that his Defense was still godtier. Jaguars, Post-Colt, Titans were garbage (most still are) during our reign at the top. If we had a competent coach our record would be even better.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah even with all BOB is doing to hurt the offense Watson is still throwing for over 300 yards per game, the team would be a lock for 0-16 with anyone not producing like a top 10 QB.....and this is with a slow start to his season.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The BOB defenders are wondering why he wasn't given any credit for our successes. I wouldn't call limping into playoffs with a mediocre record of 9-7 in a sht division, just to get blasted in the ass by superior team a success. A good competent coach would have started tanking to rebuild on our weaknesses, BOB tried riding off the glory of our Defense and became complacent with just making it into playoffs.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Any news on Watsons condition?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They haven't said anything about it but he said he was good last night, just banged up.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Fitzpatrick has proven he can have stretches where he plays very well. Hoyer had the same or better record in Cleveland the previous year than he did as a Texan. And Cleveland was a worse team. Mallett was a problem he created since he wanted him so badly. Brock did not play well and everybody and their mama blamed Rick Smith for it not O'Brien.

If O'Brien was more in charge of the defense, you would have a better point. But it's his offense. He chose to not have an OC and wants to call plays. Mr "It's on me. Gotta coach better" literally wants us to blame him when things aren't looking good. You don't need to defend him.