1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cord cutters thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 19, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd like to start an official cord cutters thread for us to share our experiences, recommendations, reviews and whatever you want to talk about regarding your cord cutting experience.

I cut the cord over 3 years ago and have never looked back. My favorite local channels outside of the big networks are:

H&I (2-3) They show lots of Star Trek, Hercules, Xena in the evening.

LAFF (13-3) - They have the Drew Carey show and Night court in the afternoons

ION (49-1)- The only play CSI, SVU, Criminal minds. Love the network

ANTENNA TV (39-2)- They show the Johnny Carson show every night at 10:30 along with Doogie Howser, Silver spoons, Small Wonder and over great old shows.

BMoney, J Sizzle and body slam like this.
  2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Is there a site that lets you enter what channels you want and it tells you how to get them after cord cutting?

I'd want:

PBS
    FX
    HBO
    TNT
    TBS
    ESPN
    ESPN2
    Comedy Central
    ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX
    Rockets games

Jontro likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm not not sure, but that would be awesome. I cut the cord too...

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I use PSVue, so I'm not really a cord cutter... I just get screwed by PlayStation now instead of Comcast. I hate that there is no way to watch the Astros and Rockets, but I hope that changes soon.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

As mentioned, I recently cut the cord, I reset my HTPC cablecard setup to just locals via ant and can record/watch 4 HD channels/stream etc. So much easier than dealing with the cable headache regarding HDCP/updates

6. REEKO_HTOWN

The good news is there are a few options for 3/4 the channels you want.

Sling TV Carries FX, TNT, TBS, ESPN, ESPN2, Comedy Central (you can add HBO for $15/mon. This (orange) package is $20.

YouTube TV gives you your big 4 local channels and will be adding pretty much everything on your list (new deal is adding channels but raising price) minus HBO and PBS for $40 a month.

Hulu TV is also a good option. You get the big locals and everything else (HBO extra) for $40/mon.

PBS is a tricky one. You'll need a Ruku, Amazon Fire, Android TV, etc. to use the PBS app but it isn't live streaming.

Sigh, the Rockets one is the tricky one. All Local sports are a tricky one because of AT&T Sportnet SW. I can't find an app that includes it in a package. Hehestreams has been great for me but it was $100 for the season. When these providers move away from Fox sports we will finally have Rockets without cable.

#6 REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a different question for y'all: which service do you think would be best for senior parents? My mom has been screwed by DirectTV for far too long and has decided that the monthly bill isn't worth it anymore. However, she is not 100% ready to plunge into the deep end of antenna and streaming services only.

I'm think that PS Vue is the best first option, even though it's $45 per month, because that package includes a lot of the sports channels she is used to and comes with their cloud DVR. I'm a little worried about the interface, but I think she's incentivized to become familiar with it. I'll also pair it with an antenna for local channels.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Im in the Austin area cut the cord before last football season.

I upgraded my home network adding a EERO mesh networking system now I never seem to drop a signal or have streaming issues, bought a TIVO OTA DVR to record the OTA network programs and we use Netflix, PSVue and Amazon Prime. I'm happy with the setup. OH and NBA 1 team league pass for my Rockets.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

LAFF is great, probably the channel I watch most. Never noticed H&I but it sounds good, I gotta find the channel for that

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not very tech/electronics-savvy. Just need to figure out what internet to go with once I get rid of my bundle package. Any modem/router recs? Internet provider recs? Am I even asking the right questions?

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Cut the cord about 3 years ago - Netflix and Amazon are my only pay services - I've got a smart TV and have subscribed to all the free streaming services like PBS etc. For sports I stream from the computer - I'm saving about $120 a month. I'm going to start using Kodi - I've had it for quite awhile, but never really got into the service.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is Sling TV still unreliable?

I might get the package with TNT/ESPN for the NBA playoffs. $20/month for a couple months ain't bad. And I have my antenna for the Finals games (I think they're all on ABC???)

14. htownrocket87

htownrocket87 Member

PlayStation Vue is a great option for anyone who is looking to cut the cord and has a PlayStation. I was paying over 200 a month on cable and internet. Now it's close to 100 because I beefed up the internet connection and Vue is only $44 per month. As far as watching the rockets nbastreams reddit is the best option. You'll always find at least one good stream!
    Vue also offers most of the local channels which, to my knowledge, sling TV does not yet.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm in the Woodlands and all PSVue packages come with the big 4 local stations, FYI.

16. body slam

body slam Member

I cut the cord 10 years ago.

H&I is my go to channel. Westerns in the mornings and the afternoon cop block.

MeTv 57.? Is another good one

rabbit ears or antenna and you can watch those and many others for free

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She's a big PBS fan, so I think an antenna would be necessary for that. Plus it's always nice to have a backup for the over-the-air options in case something happens with Vue.

eric.81 likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I WANT to be a cord cutter, but can't.

I'm paying $115 a month for internet and tv (two rooms of tv) with all channels except Cinemax.

I can pay less than that by going straight internet obviously, but is the savings really enough to give up the Rockets in HD? Or live cable news whenever I want to.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It seems like most of you guys aren’t even saving much money while getting significantly less stuff...

20. REEKO_HTOWN

Have you seen a TV bill? I don't know anyone who pays less than $80 a month.