1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Car Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, May 3, 2016.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

Anyone on here have experience selling their car at Carmax? I'm assuming the price they offer would be the wholesale price but looks like its pretty much hassle free. Go in, they evaluate the car, then offer you a price.

Some background info: Car I'm trying to sell is a 2011 wrx with 55,900 miles. Normal wear and tear and no accidents.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I sold a 2012 base GTI manual with 60,000 miles. They offered 11 grand. No haggling. They had some appraisers inspect and test drive the car for about 10 minutes while I sat inside talking to a representative filling out paper work. They came back with the 11 grand offer and that was the end of it pretty much. Very simple process. If you need to get rid of a car quickly and don't have time to place your car in the market and wait for offers, Carmax is a reasonable alternative.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I got a quote from them and then sold mine private party.

It's a pretty cool process. I think you have like 24 hours to decide if you take their bid

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I forgot about that part. They did give me 24 hours to decide, but I just accepted right away. I just needed to sell the car quickly.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Look up the nada book value of your car. Clean trade is the target. Takes just a few minutes to look it up.

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

texas direct auto is similar. They'll actually negotiate couple of grand if you need it.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I thought they gave you more like 3 days?

Anyway I went there, got their offer, then went to other places to see what I could get elsewhere, knowing that I could always go back to CarMax if it was the best offer.

Turns out some other dealership offered me a good bit more, which from what I've heard is typical. CarMax doesn't screw you but they also don't pay top dollar. IMO they're best used as a fail-safe.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The quote they give is usually good for 7 days. I've sold 2 cars to them in the past. The first one was a great deal. The second one, the car was on its last legs and had a check engine light (needed a new catalytic converter), so I wasn't expecting a great deal. The process to get a quote didn't even take 30 minutes from what I recall.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes. This is my experience. I get a quote from them, then trade in and have the dealership more. Which typically means private party is even more.

But if you need fast hassle free and are t selling to a dealership you aren't being ripped off by any means.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

I sold my cayman at Texas Direct Auto. They gave me about 750 more than carmax.
    You have 7 days to decide.
    Dealer trade in came in about $4000 lower.

11. marky :)

Went to carmax and sold my WRX to them. They gave a very fair offer and it was a no hassle experience. Came in a little late in the morning and there was people in front of me selling their vehicle so I waited maybe 45mins but other than that really had no complaints of selling my car to them.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Question:

Did you refer to your WRX as a "rex"?

13. hvic

hvic Member

how long ago was the 2nd car you sold to carmax. My 2010 honda accord has a check engine light and needs also a new catalytic converter but they told me I need to have it replace and then they will order me a quote.

14. marky :)

No never. If I did I'd probably shoot myself in the foot.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

August 2014. The car had almost 250,000 miles on it, though. :grin:

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Same. I had much better experience with selling through Texas Direct. They offered about $6k more than CarMax. Hassle free.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Anyone watching Head 2 Head on Netflix? So far definitely one of the better car shows i've seen in a while -- great cars, focused on crazy performance.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ford Performance Power Pack Gives EcoBoost Mustang 390 lb.-ft. of Torque

The 50-state-legal tune adds 25 horses and 70 lb.-ft. of torque, without voiding your factory warranty.

Ford Performance has just announced a new power upgrade kit for 2015 and newer Ecoboost Mustangs. Like the power packs announced for the Mustang GT back in late July, the upgrade for the four-cylinder pony car will be covered under the factory warranty, and 50-state legal.

According to Ford, the Performance Calibration Kit will give 2.3-liter turbocharged Mustangs an increase of 25 horsepower, to 335, and a whopping 70 lb.-ft. increase of torque, to 390 lb.-ft. That's pretty good for what's basically an ECU tune.

Ford also says the new tune drastically improves the EcoBoost's power curve, increasing power output by 100 horses at 6000 rpm. The Ecoboost Mustang was already a good car, but with this upgrade, it sounds like it could be a seriously fast machine.

The kits are available now on Ford's performance parts website, or through dealerships that stock Ford Performance parts. More 50-state-legal turbo power without voiding the factory warranty? Sounds like a win-win to us.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...power-packs-for-the-ecoboost-and-v8-mustangs/

19. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Wow you don't hear of this often, Ford is killing the game right now! That Shelby350R only got outed by the McLaren for Motor-trends best drivers car of the year which is ridiculous!

20. The Stig

The Stig Member

Any of y'all seen that Houston C&C video where the Mustang unsurprisingly lost control and almost killed a couple kids? Are Mustangs that hard to control???