1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Car Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, May 3, 2016.

1. The Stig

The Stig Member

Question. Can someone explain to me how a car that is not a demo (according to the dealership) with 200 miles a brand new car.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lots of test drives?

1 person likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Where are you located? Cars get moved around from dealer to dealer sometimes. I bought a truck that came from Dallas and it was driven, not transported.

4. The Stig

The Stig Member

They said it wasn't a demo car.

SW Houston. They told me that that the manager drove the car around for a couple of days. FFS, he could've gone joy riding for all I know. I thought I was getting a brand new car <50 miles, but when it has 200 miles and god knows where he went with it, I dunno. The salesman failed to tell me about this until I was getting ready to finance this. Am I in the wrong here?

5. Bandwagoner

You are the one with the money, if you are not happy then walk. Tell them first and see if they can help you out. If you cannot accept a "used" car then don't accept it. Is it a rare package or price you cannot find in one of the other dozens of dealerships eager to sell you a car? If you are unhappy, you aren't in the wrong. **** em.

Is it true that you have contracted every STD known to man, and you have inflatable breasts to get out of speeding tickets?

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They sold it then the buyer couldn't make payments?

7. Bandwagoner

It would have been titled.

8. The Stig

The Stig Member

I was really happy with the price of the car while assuming that it was brand new. The options combination is what I liked about it. The manager was telling me that I am in the wrong here because this is technically a new car and that me accusing them of withholding information is ridiculous. They obviously took my offer because they are aware of the higher mileage on this new car and didn't bother to disclose it with me. I found this out on my own when I did my due diligence.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed with Bandwagoner. It's your money. If you don't like what they're giving you for it (car with 200 miles) then move on and find something you do like.

But... if you're willing to look past this because it's such a great deal or car, then do that.

I was trying to help my mom negotiate with Volvo for a new car recently and the salesman was extremely deceitful. (He told us one dollar amount but put a different amount on the paperwork; when I pointed it out he said 'yeah my manager wouldn't let me sell it at that price'; well then why did you come out with a smile on your ****** face saying 'we have a deal!' when we had given you own supposed final number!!!) I told my mom let's leave, **** these lying assholes, we'll go somewhere else... but my mom really wanted that one specific vehicle. So she overlooked it and bought the car anyway. I was pissed to the point where I to go outside for a minute.

So yeah it's whatever you want to do.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Well he technically couldn't go for a joyride since new cars arent supposed to go over 60mph? For the first 500 miles and need to be broken in. Unless he used it as his lunch getter, then god knows how fast he was going ...

1 person likes this.
  11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I'm fairly certain that dealers must disclose the mileage before the sale and have you sign off that you were informed before closing. If they aren't willing to budge a bit on the price (doubt you'll get more than a couple hundred or so off), you can always walk.

By law they can still claim it's new (yes its weird).

Make the argument that there will be additional wear on the tires and reduced warranty. Or if they can find a lower mileage vehicle that's new with the same options and that you'll only accept the same price.

1 person likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's not really about speed but more about engine RPM. You can go above 60 as long as you don't rev it past a certain rpm that the manufacturer tells you before a certain mileage.

1 person likes this.
  13. The Stig

The Stig Member

Technically, you're right. But this is a car dealership we are talking about. They don't really care about technicality unless it suits them. This isn't something I want to chance.

Anyways, to everyone, I should've repped each and everyone of y'all for your input. Thanks for your inputs!

Honestly, I'm not upset about the price or the car, just a bit peeved at the way they conduct their business. A little honesty would've gone a long ways in this scenario. But what the hell, it's a bloody car dealership. I should've seen this coming earlier.

14. The Stig

The Stig Member

Update guys, so I've finally got my mom the car she wanted. We've bought a brand new GLE 350 from Mercedes in Greenway Plaza! Stand up people, who value honesty and integrity over everything. They gave us almost double the discount after hearing about my run in with the Sugar Land Mercedes sales rep and manager.

Oh, I guess I never told y'all the entire story. Long read but I think it's entertaining.

Last week, I went with my parents to help them purchase a new Mercedes (GLC 300) since my mom has been borrowing my cars after she decided that she hated the BMWs. She really likes the one in the showroom and we inquired about that particular one. Salesman that took us specifically said that this was a BRAND NEW CAR and that 4% is the best he can give us. Whenever we ask for more discounts, his first reaction is to laugh as loudly and obnoxiously as he can. I think 10% is fair given that the 2017's is just around the corner. I told him I want 8% and gave him my number and left the dealership. 5 minutes into the leaving the Mercedes dealership, he calls and say he can do 8%. Only took 5 minutes. I told him I'll talk with them and will come by the next day.

Next day rolls around, my mom is excited to get a fair deal on this BRAND NEW Mercedes in the showroom. We began filling out paperwork and they were getting the car ready for us. One sheet of paper was left in the windshield. I took a look at it, and in fine print, the mileage label reads 208 miles. Well bloody hell, what is this? I got the technician to come in and power up the car so I can confirm that this is the right number. Turns out it has around 215 miles.

I asked the salesman, "When were you going to tell me this?" He was left flabbergasted and he got the manager (who I looked up is the VP). I told the manager (and I may have been too strong on my choice of words), "you guys know full well this car has over 200 miles on the car and you failed to disclose until I did my due diligence on the car. This is fraud." to which his response was to yell at me in the showroom about how this isn't an intention to deceive and that I am not bound to take this car. He also says that if you don’t buy it, someone else well for full price. Like what a fecking arrogant prick. Note: He said that the manager took this car out for a couple days and it hasn’t been titled, which is why this car is new. To me and everyone with a brain, this is at the very least a demo car or a loaner car, there’s no way in hell this is a BRAND NEW CAR like they said it was.

For everyone’s reference, I quoted the legal dictionary for the definition of fraud. Y'all can interpret it however you want.

"A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury."

I told them I was not happy with the deception and want more discounts (back to my 10%) for my troubles. In which, the first response by the salesman was to laugh like he’s trying to get someone’s attention across the country. I told them, “Fine, call me when you change your mind.” He emails me that very night about getting a car in from out of state but will give me a smaller discount (7.5% for freight) and asked if I wanted that. At that time, I went to Greenway and told them to beat that and they gave me close to 14% discount off the exact car we wanted. Fast forward it, my mom decided she didn’t want the GLC and wanted the GLE 350. They gave us the same percentage off for that car and we walked out as happy customers. FFS, I can’t even fathom on Sugar Land does their business with the amount of unprofessionalism from top to bottom.

TL;DR: Don't go out to buy a Mercedes in Sugar Land people. They're rude, condescending, and don't value you as customers unless you succumb to their hardball tactics and minimal discounts. Mercedes in Greenway is the total opposite end of the scale and they’re actually the real Mercedes dealership in town. Go to them instead if you want a MB.

My longest post ever so pardon the grammar.

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

Glad you took your money else where like others have stated. It's your money and if you don't want the product don't buy it.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong) But in their defense, it's still considered a "brand new car" because it has never been titled even if it has 200miles. It may not be "brand new" in terms of your definition(and mines) but I think they'll get you on technicality.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Dealers are always going to have some sort of shadiness to sell you the car at an inflated price. And, there will always be another dealer ready to steal the business by giving you a better deal. It's all up to you how you want to play dealers off of each other.

It is common for new cars to have 200 - 300 miles on them because they are typically driven from dealer to dealer. It's still a "new car" even if it doesn't fit your definition of a "BRAND NEW" car. That said...you can always try to find the same car on the lot with 6 miles on it or whatever. There is usually one available so why get hung up on a car in a showroom? I think I saw a TV Toyota commercial that made fun of the same thing. The guy had to have that car in the showroom but the salesperson says we have plenty and look behind you. But, he wouldn't turn around because he had to have the one in the showroom.

What you are claiming to be fraud is not really fraud. You are not going to find a new car with zero miles on it. You wanted a "newest" car with minimal miles on it. We get it.

But, in the end, you got a better deal by playing one dealer off of another...so it all worked out. Chances are that...if you want to play the game...the second dealer is always going to give you the better deal than the first dealer...depending on how much you play the game. You could have probably countered an even better deal with the first dealer...but you were convinced the "new" car wasn't based on mileage...which is certainly your right as a consumer. But, it all sounds like a bit much to be going back and forth about it being "BRAND NEW" because it has some miles on it. To each his own I guess.

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Over 200 miles is a lot between dealerships. Even from Sugar Land to a Spring Mercedes dealership that's only around 30 miles. 200 miles means it could've been driven from Dallas for all we know.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

pretty much.

I wouldn't consider a car with over 100 miles new.

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

200-300 miles doesn't seem excessive for you? A trip to Dallas is equivalent to what the odometer reads. Still a new car? It should've been labeled as a demo car or loaner car. Not brand new.

We wanted the one in the showroom because it was the only one in town with the unique combination of packages we were looking for.

The reason I called them a fraud is because they know full well the mileage situation on that car and decided it was best for them to keep us in the dark, thinking we won't check on it. Thus the intent to deceive argument. They took the battery out of the car so it wouldn't turn on and didn't put it in until I demanded them to.

Look, I'm not upset about the car and the mileage, just disappointed with the way they conduct business.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's obviously excessive to you so there is no point in arguing about it.

There isn't a dealership in America that is going to mark a new car with 200 - 300 miles on it which has never been sold/owned as a demo or loaner car.