1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Car Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, May 3, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

General car opinions and advice thread, because for some reason these guys won't start this thread.

(Note: trucks and motorcycles can also be discussed)

So feel free to come here and discuss your favorite cars out there, and why they can't even begin to compare to the CLA. Also discuss your plans for buying Teslas and paying for them by driving Uber.

2. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I like official threads. I think this one should start with a picture of a PT Cruiser. Your welcome.

[​IMG]

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd like to find a good '76 or '77 jaguar xj6 or xj-s to get restored/customized

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

With paneling constructed from the driftwood of that very beach!

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

What a piece of **** vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My first set of wheels was a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser. Was as unreliable as it was ugly. No telling how much lovin' high-school Haymitch missed out on because of that ride, but I had two females imply over the years that they would have been / were embarrassed to get in that car. Haymitch was not handsome enough to make up for that thing.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it looks like a modern day interpretation of the family truckster in national lampoon's vacation

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let me start of with the 3 cars I'm currently in the market for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

My first set of wheels was a Volvo sedan circa 1984 with no a/c (in Houston no less) and was a manual. Several people, including myself, died several times over from heat exhaustion in that car. A mounted oscillating fan was of little help and only sped up the dehydration process. I'll never forgive my old man for letting me buy (well...he bought it and was being kind of cheapskate about it looking back) that car (a bona fide Volvo nut at the time who had an older 70s Volvo with a/c and 250k+ miles on it (and stickers to prove it)) ...but I was in a hurry for my first car so I could have wheels and let the "no a/c" go. If it moved and it started, then I was game. My mistake. It was reliable, however, for the time I owned it. Unfortunately for me, that was about 9 years of no a/c through high school and my college years. Suffice to say, I don't miss that car one bit.

#10 Surfguy, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  11. fchowd0311

Damn. You definitely earned your way up to a respectable fun and comfortable car.

Can't imagine no A/C in Houston summers.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

I like all 3 options. Will this be your only car or a side/weekend car?

13. fchowd0311

It's going to be my daily driver. Any woman who wants to marry me is marrying me and the car I chose. Don't care if it can't fit more than 2 people.:grin:

When the time comes, I'll get a SUV to complement one of those cars.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the BRZ because out of all those cars, this one will come with a factory warrenty.

The only Cayman I can afford is used one. The Cayman could be obtained later in life when I can afford it along with the impending maintenance cost of a German sports car.

Most S2000s are soft tops and those can be rather annoying if you live through New England winters. I'm not sure if I want my only car to be a convertible.

#13 fchowd0311, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  14. marky :)

marky :) Member

I mean you coulddd get a hardtop for the s2000 but that might cost you a pretty penny lol. But for the same reason as you said, if it's going to be my daily Id go with the BRZ.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

May I also suggest a

[​IMG]

16. fchowd0311

I definitely did consider a E46 M3. One of the best handling 5 seaters one can get but... by a small margin they aren't as sharp, light and responsive as those dedicated two seater sports cars. Also I run into the problem of expensive repairs especially with a older BMW. It's definitely a great car.

17. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

First beater car at 16: 1993 Honda Accord

College car: 2009 Ford Mustang

Post-grad car: 2013 Mercedes E350 (my first actual purchase)

Next car in about 4-5 years: Mercedes CLS 400

EssTooKayTD likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, for the longest time, I went back and forth between the s2k and the e46, only to realize that I didnt have enough moohla at the time to be wasting on a second ride. All said and done though, I wouldve went with the s2k, specifically for the expensive 'maintenance' required by older bimmers. And by maintenance, I mean repairs. Sexy, aggressive and conservative as hell all in one though.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Currently: Mazda RX8

I like: New Mazda Miata and Audi A7

Dream car: Porsche 911

Impossible Dream car: CLA

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

My all-time favorite car, first purchased by my late father and one of the first 2+2's in Texas, who then (bless him!) gave it to me after several years. Silver gray and a red interior, with the 289 V8 and automatic transmission (would have preferred the 4 speed, but I suffered through it, somehow!), and an AC that got cold. It was very, very quick. One of my favorite moments driving it was when I raced my cousin's Pontiac on one of the streets not far from Hobby that were perfect for drag racing back in the '60's (this was before I got it from Dad - he let me use it from time to time). Blew his doors off. I had a lot of fun at drive-in movies in that car. The chicks loved it. I had the Mustang until it was totaled. I wasn't even driving. The beauty was parked on the street and some ******* destroyed it in the middle of the night. He managed to drive away from the scene of the crime, the b*stard.