1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. dannah

dannah Member

Actually surprised these guys showed some class...

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why? Which current Yankee players/coaches have ever been classless towards the Astros?

CometsWin and kaleidosky like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Yuli is going to have a big series. He was slapping the ball all over the place against NYY and they were just perfectly positioned to make outs.

Handles and Uprising like this.
  5. SemisolidSnake

That's wonderful and doesn't surprise me. The members of the Yankees team seem like good guys from what I've seen of them. Yankees friend says that everyone on the team is likable except Chapman (before he gave up that HR). Honestly, I had no issue with the Red Sox last year as a team even though they ultimately beat us. Rooted for them to beat the Dodgers in the WS.

Now, the sports fans from those two cities seem like an entirely different, very unlikable animal, but we shouldn't conflate the team and the fans.

I'm also glad that the normally polite but docile Houston fans have turned into polite and vigorous fans for these Astros. The most likable team in sports has earned it.

Eric Riley, Patience, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  6. SemisolidSnake

He was facing their best hitter, and those two had an intense battle over that at-bat. The batter usually wins the longer the at-bat goes on. He then set down their 2 and 3 hitters in short order. LeMahieu is good, and I don't think Osuna was off his game. He looked very sharp this series, and I trust him in the series coming up.

CometsWin and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unless they decide to shift more.
    But I do agree he is due.

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, Yuli hits so many balls up the middle I expect teams to catch on but most don't. The Yankees did which is why Yuli was so unsuccessful. Let's hope the Nats don't shift.

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Looking at the World Series, I just cant see Hinch playing Alvarez in Washington. Maybe he gets a pinch hit here and there but the dude has completely lost his mojo.

BigShasta likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course he isn't. he doesn't have a position to play on defense, so it makes the decision for him to not play that much easier

he just got yanked at home with the bases loaded. he isn't playing in washington as a starter

11. SuraGotMadHops

The way I see it, Yordan is just one WALK away from getting his mojo back. Until he can show an opponent he will not chase those low sliders out of the zone, they will keep throwing them and he will keep striking out. If he can make that one adjustment, doesn't chase and take a walk, then he will start getting some pitches in his wheelhouse again. The league has adjusted to him, now he needs to counter.

12. SemisolidSnake

IIRC, the announcers said the Yanks were shifting way more against the Astros during this series than normal. I don't know if that was specifically against the Astros or way more than their average. Either way, there probably won't be as much shifting by the Nats even if they do ramp it up.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yuli was only potentially affected by the shift twice in the entire NY series. He grounded out to SS twice. Never to second. Without actually seeing the video, I don’t even know if those were shift related. Yuli’s main problem was hitting a bunch of line outs to the outfield or hitting some loud foul balls.

CometsWin likes this.
  14. SemisolidSnake

He hit a lot of balls on a line to right-center. I just never noticed whether they were shifting him that way from the start. They looked like gappers every single time, but they never dropped.

Uprising likes this.
  15. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

If we play the Yankees next year in the playoffs, I think it is time to start the "Who's your Daddy?" chant in the first inning of Game 1 at home

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Springer hit some lasers in between where 3rd and short play but they shifted on him. So Im looking for Springer to break out in a big way, plus its the World Series and hes done things once or twice.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I wasn’t really annoyed by any of the Yankees. Probably helped that Clint Frazier and that stupid hand signal wasn’t there this year.

Their fans are the annoying ones.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I complained as much as anyone about what I considered (and still do, much of it) biased coverage. Biased towards the Yankees. The coverage of Reddick's incredible diving catch, though, was outstanding. Not only was it praised, it was shown from every conceivable angle. I don't know how that particular play could have been covered better.

Thanks for the video, @bobrek.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I watched the whole thing and it's a miracle my head isn't spinning. I loved it! Made me wish I'd thought to film that inning. I was jumping around, yelling like a lunatic myself. Such a great, great moment. There's nothing like baseball.