1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. dannah

dannah Member

Couldn't make it to 10000 posts in this thread, i guess the series was too short :)
    Time to move on to the Astros - Nats thread. I've had my fun, now it's time to get serious again. Let's not think this is going to be easy.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What an incredible game. I've said it here before, and I'll probably say it again...I still am in awe that these are my Astros.

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

The Yankee players are more classy than the Yankee fans. Other than Judge (and only because of Joe Buck), there wasn't any player on that team that personally annoyed me.

Eric Riley, Tfor3, whiskeyred and 2 others like this.
  5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Going through those 90's and early 2000's disappointments, hard to believe how easy these guys make it look

RasaqBoi and MadMax like this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I go back even farther than that. Among my very first sports heartbreaks was the 86 NLCS. My grandparents were huge Astros fans, and I really wish they could see what the Astros have become.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I tend to tune out the national announcers during Astros games so I don't remember who said it, but you didn't hear the announcers even once say hitters need to go for contact more? What do you think the announcers think hitters are prioritizing instead of contact?

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think they were referring to just making contact with the ball. I think they meant contact vs. a power swing. Trying to take the ball where it is pitched and just put it in play rather than swinging out of your shoes trying to hit the ball 500 ft. I don't know if it was in the same conversation but they talked about the Astros approach at the end of game 4 where they were putting the ball in play and forcing the Yankees defense to make plays (which they didn't always do). My guess is it was in reference to the Yankees having such poor results with RISP (although the Astros were just as bad). With a couple of guys on base players seemed too often to try and drive them all in on one swing rather than just trying to put the ball in play. Brantley and Altuve are usually good at this. Unfortunately for the Astros, AB's with RISP happened way more often with the 8-9 hitters and Alvarez than with the 2-3 hole hitters.

9. Handles

Handles Member

If I'm Yankees I never put Sanchez behind the plate ever again. Solid hitter (except in this series), but he has to be one of the worst defensive catchers I've seen. I think he's just too big, can't move, can't block. I'd put him at DH or trade him.

I know this is random just something I've been thinking about. I'm seeing Yankees fans calling him a good defensive catcher and I'm baffled how they would think so. He costs them runs with past balls. Did it this year and in 2017.

CometsWin likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

delete

11. Handles

Handles Member

Sorry added to my post. It wasn't just this year but I noticed in 2017 too. He lets balls get by him and he costs them runs.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

i meant to say he's playing hurt but hey that's their problem. oh well haha

Handles likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That is what I think as well. Batters go for power (i.e., hit ball hard with an optimal launch angle) because pitchers are amazing, and strike out a lot of batters. Even if batters went for contact, they would strikeout almost as much, but homers would plummet. At least, that's what analytics has told teams. Teams just don't want to spend much to acquire guys like Tony Kemp. When I hear announcers ask for more contact, they are asking guys to hit more like Tony Kemp. I like Tony Kemp more than most, but not over the guys the Yankees were trotting out there.

From a non-analytical standpoint, I'd love to see teams try to single JV and Cole to death. It works when Miley is pitching horribly, but then going for fence works, too, when Miley is pitching horribly.

#9174 Joe Joe, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Castor27 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's monday and I still have found myself watching clips of game 6 and feeling just as hyped lol

15. SuraGotMadHops

Interesting, he was shaking off Maldy a lot during that at bat, and before the pitch that went over the fence. I wasn't upset with him at all after he gave up that homer. He had saved 3 games in the series already, he was bound to get tagged and DJ put up a TOUGH at bat. Osuna recovered so well and mowed down the next two, kept it tied.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He had 7 passed balls this season so he did improve a lot from years past.

17. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Still on cloud 9!!!!!

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This season or series? :D

CometsWin and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ive watched so many of the same replays, interviews and fan reactions over and over, and Im still not tired of them.

Biding time til game 1.

conquistador#11 likes this.