1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 7, 2018.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In real time, there was nothing wrong with the INITIAL out call. It was a bang bang play. The replay clearly show him safe, but even that had to have a blown up screen shot or super slo mo to show it.

Umpires miss calls. That was an incredibly close play. Neither he nor I are "blind".

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Here - I highlighted the part you seem to have difficulty comprehending. The ump wasn’t looking at the play via replay. He called it in real time. Real time is what happens in real life, replay is what happens in a video booth. One is prone to error given the limits of the human eye and the other is supposed to alleviate those errors with the benefit of technology.

Hope that helps.

Hey Now! likes this.
  3. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I differ with you in that even from my vantage point in real time in my living room I thought Altuve was safe. And when I saw the replays with the ump directly in front of the play and calling him out I could not believe it. I was really disappointed that instant replay did not overturn the call. That is what they are supposed to do.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I felt the same way, but replay showed it much closer than I thought. No way am unsure can be sure on the call. No excuse for replay guys though.