1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Also, not to post-fact b****, but can we talk about Hinch's... curious decision to burn Marisnick in the 8th on a pinch-running assignment? I'm not sure it was wholly necessary (White isn't McCann slow; or really slow at all, frankly), + it took your hottest bat out *and* best glove out of the line-up with 6 very difficult outs left to get. Reddick in LF (if you insert Marisnick in CF) makes the catch on the game-winner, doesn't he? Especially considering Gonzalez may not be 100%.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

it was the 8th inning

Hey Now! likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't think Osuna would have pitched 3 straight days. I think the pitching basically plays out the same either way. Hinch is clearly comfortable with Rondon closing games.

4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Still taking 2 of 3 in Boston is no small task. While I would have loved the sweep I can't be overly disappointed. Now if someone could just beat the damn A's. Talk about layup's back to back sets against the Rangers and Orioles? I don't expect Baltimore to win a game which means we need to go sweep in Detroit.

5. Hey Now!

You could be right. But Hinch very obviously wanted to win last night, and you get three against the Tigers in which it's less likely Osuna will be needed.

6. Hey Now!

Two controversial replays - ~3 weeks apart - are right now a 3-game difference in the standings; that's huge.

crose likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. SemisolidSnake

You know who also lost that outside corner? ESPN. Towards the end of the game, they were not putting the little circle on screen showing where the pitch actually went in relation to the strike zone. They were still replaying close pitches, and the commentators were still commenting on it, but it sure seemed like a conscious decision to stop showing how off that ump was.

I mean, both teams benefited from balls called strikes. I just thought it was weird how ESPN stopped clearly showing it as the game went on.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You know what was really annoying? Saturday night I started off watching the game on the MLB network. It was the Red Sox feed. I think it was Eckersly. Took me about an inning to switch over to the Astros feed.

10. SemisolidSnake

Hmm, that's very interesting. That removes any last doubt I had that they botched that call.

Here's a post from Baseball Rules Academy from April 26th of this year addressing this exact thing. Relevant part:

Definition of Terms
    A TAG is the action of a fielder in touching a base with his body
    while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove; or touching
    a runner with the ball, or with his hand or glove holding the ball (not
    including hanging laces alone)
    , while holding the ball securely and
    firmly in his hand or glove.

Interestingly, here's a USA today article from a couple years ago talking about it right after the rule was changed. The video that MLB used to explain showcased an out made by the laces of one Jose Altuve.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hinch hasn't used any pitcher 3 days in a row all year... he wasn't going to change last night.

Also, the Red Sox pinch-ran for JD Martinez... who may be faster than White. I have no problem with Hinch using a pinch runner there... maybe if you don't want to use Marisnick, and use Kemp, that's certainly possible.

But the only way to have Marwin-White-Yuli all in the same lineup (presuming all the other regulars still play) has Marwin playing LF.... and it was a short LF (like MMP), so we may have to get used to his defensive limitations out there.

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

That bullshit call at the plate could literally cost this team a division title.

CrushCity likes this.
  13. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

14. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

If the Astros don't win the division, this loss to the Red Sox won't be the main reason. The replay call against the A's was a 2 game swing. Plus they have the easiest remaining schedule of any AL contender outside Cleveland. Astros just need to continue to handle their business over the next few weeks. No reason they shouldn't get another 100 win season and clinch the division with 3-5 games remaining.

15. Buck Turgidson

Eckersley is possibly the most unlistenable announcer in MLB, and that's saying something.

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The guy in the booth said he looked safe. MLB looked at themselves by saying don't overrule the ump and let's have a good ending for the national audience. We swept those Dirty Sox. Dirty Rotten Dirtbags.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No...it literally won’t. First and foremost, while counting that run would have made a win more probable, it didn’t guarantee anything since the best offensive team in baseball still had nine outs and the whole game would have played out differently.

Second...if you’re going to pinpoint a game..there are plenty of others, most notably Celeveland, that can be pointed to.

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

actually the glove lace touched Altuve, according to Sox fans.

19. Buck Turgidson

For the 15th time in this thread...

The laces don't count.

marks0223, bobrek and YOLO like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Regardless of how the 3rd game came about, I am proud of our guys for winning the series and being there till the end in game 3.

If we can play like we did in this series to finish the year, I have little doubt we take the division and momentum into the playoffs.