1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

From a media market size standpoint, they’re pretty comparable. Houston is 8th, Phoenix is 12th. Pretty sure LaRussa isn’t calling the shots in Arizona anymore. Most teams, besides the biggest market teams, will have a tougher time carrying a really high priced player throughout the life of their contract.

Yes... until they eventually get that big-time/long-term contract that financially strapped mid-market teams look to trade when the big values start to kick in. I expect the Astros to be quite pragmatic with the dollar figures they throw out for these possible extensions... or they may not extend anybody and just optimize their chances now while they have a for-sure cost-controlled window.

They tried to fill holes with unproven minor leaguers. They filled those same holes the following year with established MLB players. Sure, Keuchel also pitched better... but you underestimate the regular season impact that Reddick/McCann (and if you believe the signs-stealing/clubhouse presence of Beltran) had towards stabilizing the entire lineup.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If both Whitley and Tucker end up as good as Billingsley, Astros will be in very good shape.

3. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

Beltran didn't steal signs, he detected the opposing pitchers' tells and let the other hitters in the lineup know what they were.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Earlier in the year, the Astros were accused of picking up signs when they had a runner reach 2nd. It somehow came out that Beltran was very instrumental in adding this nuance, especially when they were playing the Rangers (who were extra paranoid).

Hemo_jr likes this.
  5. theimpossibles1

I find the semantics of this debate funny. For one side "that b*stard is stealing our signs and disseminating to the enemy." Sounds like some highly illegal spy sh**.

For the other side "a crafty veteran is taking advantage of a pitcher's tells and using that info to make his team better."
    Sounds like he is doing his job.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

La Russa was calling shots when Greinke was signed. He was also there when they made a couple other financially questionable moves. You can talk about Arizona and Houston being similar all you want, but one team's budget is north of 150 million and seems strong while the other is trying to cut salary to get back to around 100-110 million or lower. Same thing. 40 million a year isn't a drop in a bucket.

Astros won over 100 games last year. Yes, Reddick and Gurriel mattered a lot. They were expected to matter a lot as well. That is why you sign free agents. However, the most important part of the team is still the club controlled talent that allows team to be close enough for free agents and trade acquisitions to push them over the top.

When Astros keep guys like Altuve to free agent contracts, Astros are going to need production from club controlled guys that they develop. Most likely these guys will be role players as the free agents are now the stars. No team has budget to just depend solely of free agents or trade for guys on big contracts.

On 2016, It is amazing how much value you place on veterans, but when they have bad years...it is the rookies fault...even though Bregman's earlier than expected appearance and Devenski coming out of obscurity more than made for the other rookies sucking. But hey, Reed was suppose to carry the team instead of Keuchel, Gomez, and Rasmus.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But he’s not the one who’s now forcing them to keep payroll down.

This is exactly what I said earlier. That once you start paying big money, you have to rely more on homegrown talent to plug holes... and that doesn’t always work out as well, or is more of an unknown than reliable/proven MLB players that cost more. Role players still cost money. I’d say the Astros have done quite well by getting their stars/best players via the farm... and then supplementing the rest with free agents/trades. They can’t all be homegrown.

Never said the rookies were supposed to “carry” the team. Like you said above, they were still only going to go as far as their core took them. But their lack of role player experience (Preston Tucker, White, Reed all were expected to be enough for DH/1B), along with continuing to play sub-par hitting veterans like Castro, had a lineup that was extremely inconsistent.

They needed and acquired upgrades via spending, and it certainly turned out better... a flexibility luxury they ‘’may“ not have after being attached to some mega deals (which was again my original point).

Of course I want Altuve and Correa to be career Astros. Just seeing it from the standpoint as some of the underrated costs of losinng payroll flexibility.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

"We could sequence a trade or signing with another trade potentially and free up even more at-bats, but at this point I like the position we're in because we're going to be opportunistic. If there's a situation that presents itself, a player that makes us better on offense and we can make adjustments, we'll look at that for sure." -- Luhnow. https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/astros-address-primary-need-at-winter-meetings/c-263571396

--
    Sounds like Astros are essentially done this offseason without a major addition and without shedding any contracts. Maybe get something out of the bargain bin later.

Questions remaining seems to be the following:
    1) Who plays last OF spot to start season if Astros don't make an opportunistic move? Marisnick, Moran, Fisher, and Marwin seem to be the best bets. With Marwin likely getting a lot of time all over the place, it looks like Astros are once again looking for a lot of playing time from Marisnick. For a 4th OF, Marisnick has ended up in the top 3 in plate appearances as an OF the last three years.

2) Will Astros carry three catchers? Seems likely as Centeno is gone and Stubbs may be best guy in minors.

3) Astros have 6 starters without option. Will it be Peacock or someone else to the pen? Will he be used as a high leverage reliever, or a multi-inning reliever. Astros bullpen looks like it will be stacked with guys that can for 2 or more innings with Peacock, Devenski, Musgrove, and maybe Feliz. Early in the season, Astros should just be able to shove pitching down almost every team's throat like they did in the playoffs, except against much weaker opponents on average.

4) Will the Astros make a consolidation move? Astros have a lot of guys that are AAA players that just aren't going to get much time to see if they are or aren't MLB caliber. In addition, Astros really need to trade Preston Tucker off the 40-man roster soon. If his brother forces his way on the team, he's the likely man to go off 40-man. That would be cold to designate Preston for assignment to make room for Kyle.

5) Gattis seems the favorite for the DH. Will anyone challenge him for that spot?

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Marwin and his ridiculous .907 OPS should be your 2018 Astros starting LF.

When Marwin subs in the IF, Marisnick and his solid .815 OPS takes over LF.

Fisher looks to be OF5, with very limited ABs.. Maybe Fisher can DH as well?

#1349 No Worries, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

11. Nook

Nook Member

I didn’t take his comments to mean the Astros are done honestly. I know that is how the article is framed but I don’t think that quote means the Astros are done. It sounds to me like they have the flexibility to wait and see if a good value is available and if so they can make a move.

I interpret it to mean that the Astros don’t have to make a move and can be patient. Not to mention posturing.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is a really good acquisition.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

I’m not a big fan. I can’t check the stats right now, but I seem to recall him struggling in Chicago. Maybe I’m wrong. Whatever, I trust Luhnow.

14. No Worries

Rondon makes 14 pitchers. Someone just lost their job. Maybe Sipp? Maybe a competition between Sipp and Rondon for the last spot?
    1. Justin Verlander
    2. Dallas Keuchel
    3. Charlie Morton
    4. Brad Peacock
    5. Lance McCullers Jr.
    6. Collin McHugh
    7. Francis Martes
    8. Ken Giles
    9. Joe Smith
    10. Chris Devenski
    11. Joe Musgrove
    12. Will Harris
    13. Héctor Rondon
    14. Tony Sipp

moonsh0t likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He averages about 10 K's per 9 IP. In 2016 he struck out 7.25 batters for every walk he issued. He was very, very good in 2015, with a 1.67 ERA in 70 IP. No doubt his last season was his worst..though still not awful. Hopefully it's a blip and he trends back the other direction. He's 30.

16. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Nice. Upper 90s four seamer with a power slider. Hopefully Strom can get him back to 2014-2016 form. This makes me like the Joe Smith signing even more. It's good to have different looks (velo, arm angles, pitch movement, etc) out of the pen.

17. Nook

Nook Member

You both are right. He has been very good at times and has struggled at other times. Unfortunately some of his struggles were in big spots so those are remembered more. He is good insurance for Giles as well. He has closed and is capable of being elite or in AAA.

moonsh0t likes this.
  18. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Martes could still stand to work on harnessing his stuff in AAA. Not that I have a problem with Sipp losing his job.

Madmanmetz and Nook like this.
  19. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Martes starts in AAA. Or more likely someone gets hurt before opening day.

I’m guessing they’ll see if Sipp can bounce back until midsason then cut him and trade for an upgrade if he doesn’t.

Madmanmetz and moonsh0t like this.
  20. No Worries

Paulino also needs to work on his stuff in AAA.

Feliz and Hoyt will also be in the mix for 2018 Astros bullpen.