1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its still a pretty huge concern.

When Keuchel is throwing at 87-89, he's very hittable and somewhat wild (since he's reluctant to throw stuff in the zone at that speed).

Most say the drops in velocity have occurred either when he's been injured (and hiding an injury), or fatigued. But either way, Keuchel can ill-afford it.

Nook likes this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

I’d do 75m over 3y for Kuechel in a heartbeat.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d peg Keuchel for between $85M/5yr and $115M/6yr. Either way I still don’t think Houston signs him. I don’t think they’ll commit significant money to anyone until they know what Altuve and Correa will cost and whether or not they’ll be able to keep them. I’d expect things to move much quicker next season. And it seems like Keuchel has no intention of giving Houston a discount or even priority.

pw1993 and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Wrong side of 30.... held together with duct tape.... only 23 starts last year. That’s a hard pass for me.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And I don't think the Astros should commit those sort of years to any pitcher, let alone one with as many miles on him as Keuchel.

I don't think they're waiting to see what Altuve/Correa will cost. They could/should try to jump the gun on an Altuve extension, given that he's got the most lost earning potential these next 2 years with that throwaway extension he signed before. Correa isn't a free agent for another 4+ years. That's an eternity in this day/age of baseball.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They should try to extend Altuve. Altuve is so close to free agency, it will be very tough to get him to accept an extension.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's still got 2 years of low salary before he hits free agency to worry about... and while the Astros don't have to give him reparation-type raises for these next 2 years, it would go a long way towards enticing him to agree to something now.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree. I don't think Keuchel is a priority. We still have Verlander and Cole next year and McCullers through 2021. Plus you have Peacock under control through 2020 and he could slide into the rotation. Also McHugh is under control next year, or go wtih Martes, Paulino, or see if Whitley will be ready next season. Maybe you give Morton a 1 or 2 year deal if he is solid again this season. Lots of options for the rotation.

9. HTown2017Champs

But they're all right handers. A left hander would be nice for more diversity and to balance the rotation. I don't like all-right (or all-left) rotations.

10. pw1993

pw1993 Member

The 2020-2021 Astros would probably get better results from one of the guys in the minors currently (like Armenteros, Bukauskas, Whitley seems a certainty) than they would from Keuchel. And with the cost savings to boot, this seems a no brainer.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right. I’d be down for Keuchel at something like $70M/5yr or less. The way I kind of look at it, he’s not a better value at pitcher than Reddick was as a position player when Houston gave him $52M/4yr, especially from a forward looking perspective.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see Astros offering him reparation-type raises. Astros screwed up a lot on other players to get that deal. If Altuve wants that reparation money, he is going to have to ask for it from guys like Singleton.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Houston claim LHP Jairo Labourt. Pretty much every designated player who has options remaining will be strongly considered by Houston since they have 40 man spots remaining.

14. pw1993

pw1993 Member

A lot of people anticipate that Danny Farquahr won't make his team's opening day roster and will go unclaimed on waivers. Could he be a Brent Strom reclamation project candidate? I wonder.

15. Remix

Remix Member

...Springer lmao

BigMaloe, awc713 and donkeypunch like this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Doesnt Singleton make more than Bregman this year?

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Suspension may change that.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

True... like I said, they're not obligated to do anything.

But, if doing that increased the likelihood of him accepting an extension now... vs. waiting another 2 full years to hit the open market (and who knows what teams are doing at that point, in regards to collusionary contract situations), wouldn't that be in the team's best interest?

I wouldn't really be excited if they signed him to a 6 year deal at the time of free agency... but a 6 year deal right now (including these 2 years that he's still under contract for pennies) would be tremendous.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Paying significantly more than market value isn't in the Astros best interests. After getting burned once, I don't see Altuve accepting an extension offer unless it is high enough that he knows he can't do better in 2 years.

20. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

6yrs $120m ($20m/yr) will make Altuve an Astro through his age 34 season. The $14m/yr beyond his contract the 1st two yrs evens out to 27m/yr for his free agent years. While this will reduce the Astros' payroll flexibility for the next two years, it will increase flexibility for the four years after that. I have no idea if Crane & the front office would see this as a good deal. but I think it as fair & think Altuve would as well.