1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Use this thread to discuss off season rumors, potential signings, trades, injuries etc.

****I will create a separate thread for the managerial info, please do not post that in here.****

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

About time. :D

Heres to offering arbitration to Hawkins and Valverde.

3. msn

msn Member

Here, here. And here's to Hawkins rejecting it. What a piece of work that guy is; can't wait to see him wearing a different uniform.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If guys reject arbitration doesn't that mean we get an extra draft pick? If so, that good right?

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

LLL

Oh wait, wut?

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is the link to the Elias projections. these are not final and MLB Trade Rumors should have their final projections up towards the end of the week.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/elias-rankings-update.html

Interesting to see that Tejada, Valverde and Hawkins are all in the Type A class.

I'll be interested to see how the Astros handle it. I don't think Miggy will get Arbitration because of what it would cost them if he actually accepted. The other 2 are interesting because of a glut of FA RP out there that can close. It actually might be kind of chancy to offer it to either (although I expect them to offer it to at least one) and risk them accepting because of lack of outside interest, and then having them accept it and get a large raise the Astros didn't really want to offer. It will come down to will Valverde's value decline enough, if they offer it, to make it to where he would get more money by accepting it than if he were to try and sign elsewhere. If they think that might be the case then they may not offer it to him. With Hawkins they may offer it to him, but I honestly think they want him to re-sign so it may be they offer it expecting him to take it and then work out a deal.

Best case is we jettison all 3 and get 6 picks (never going to happen), unfortunately my pessimistic gut feeling is we lose all 3 and get no picks.

7. juicystream

I hope both reject.

Exactly why I hope both reject. I'd love for Miggy to do the same, but we won't offer him arbitration because he has every reason to accept.

8. juicystream

Figured I would move this into here.

9. msn

msn Member

Oh me, too. But I'm especially un-fond of T-shirt boy.

10. juicystream

I was wondering why you singled him out, considering he had pitched so well for us. Did we ever find out if the Oh Really shirts existed?

11. msn

msn Member

no, but I don't find it hard to believe. hawk was the engineer of the "bud killed us" fiasco last year. I freaking hate whiners, even if they pitch well. it won't hurt my feelings at all to see that titty-baby pitching somewhere else next year.

losing sucks. losing with a bunch of loser titty-babies on your team sucks hard. that was the hardest thing to watch this year--watching the traditionally blue-collar, hard-working Astros of Bagwell-Biggio-Ryan-Hatcher-Puhl-Walling-Garner type wear whiny t-shirts, not run out grounders, and quit when the going got tough.

man, that sucked. i've never, ever, EVER in all my years of living felt relieved when baseball season was over. I already miss it, mind you. but hopefully next year this team won't be the whiny sack of you-know-what that it was this year.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/mlb/091006_astros_to_retain_moehler

HOUSTON - Houston Astros starting pitcher Brian Moehler told FOX 26 Sports he will return to the team for the 2010 season.

He and the Astros held a mutual option for one year worth $3 million.

Moehler said he spoke with Astros general manager Ed Wade earlier Tuesday and the two men agreed on the mutual option.

"Nothing has been signed, but I have agreed to come back next year," Moehler said. "We've agreed on the mutual option."

Moehler was 8-12 with a 5.47 ERA during the 2009 season.

"I called Brian (Tuesday) and told him we wanted to exercise the option on his contract," Wade said. "He had the right to turn it down."

Moehler has developed into one of the leaders in the Astros clubhouse and Wade considers this a significant development for his team.

"I think it is very important," Wade said. "I think Brian has done a tremendous job for us."

Moehler is already looking forward to another season with Houston.

"It's big to know where you are going to be," Moehler said. "I think this team can do some good things.

"I'm looking forward to being a leader in the clubhouse and putting a winning product on the field."

Just another bad move by Ed Wade IMO. 3 million dollars for a 38 year old pitcher with a 5.47 ERA in National League is just terrible. How are you going improve the starting pitching next year when you already have 4 spots secure? Felipe Paulino, Yarmon Bazardo, or Wilton Lopez couldn't be any worse than Moehler and would have cost the league minimum.

13. Buck Turgidson

This is silly. Biggio was a clubhouse lawyer for years; Bagwell did his off-season b****ing & moaning routine annually; Oswalt has been a cornucopia of pissing, moaning, and blaming others for many, many moons; the players (the stars you mentioned before, especially) went to the owner & got Terry Collins fired; some of those same guys publicly sniped at Dierker at the end of his tenure and had a hand in his dismissal....

thankfully you didn't bring up Wagner ;)

14. right1

right1 Member

You know you're in trouble when 8 wins 12 losses and a 5.47 ERA is doing a "tremendous job."

15. msn

msn Member

You mean the embarrassing behavior of the Astros this season? Yes. Yes, it is.

Correct. They weren't saints. But you never saw them loafing around, not running out grounders, *blaming* the coach for the pansy-ass effort, pointing the finger at others, and having T-shirts printed up that blame the commissioner or belittle the manager. Come on man, there's a difference between a mic being shoved in a guy's face in the heat of his irritation and these ridiculous shenanigans.

Damn straight. And I've been sick and tired of his **** for many moons, too. If you're gonna b**** like Curt Schilling you better pitch like Curt Schilling and not like Brian Moehler. I'm just saying.

Berkman, Wags, Oswalt aren't the same kind of guys we had before. They *all* have their warts. But you *never* saw Billy Spiers loaf it down the line because his back hurt or he was afraid to tweak his hammy. And you *never* saw Dave Smith making t-shirts blaming Fred Brocklander, for example.

What a freaking circus. Lee, Berkman, Oswalt, and Hawkins will hopefully one day look back and be mortally embarrassed at their behavior.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We've got to rebuild this team through YOUNG players. Let's develop some good draft classes and unload some vets for prospects!

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm just glad we didn't deal Tejada for prospects while we could. Now we get to lose him for nothing. All so our fans didn't think we were "giving up" on the season - because that worked out so well for us. Ugh.

18. juicystream

I don't blame the team for bringing Moehler back, but 3 million seems a bit much for him. Lopez, Bazardo, and Paulino have all had worse ERAs then Moehler. Right now we are looking at Oswalt, Wandy, Norris, Paulino, & Moehler as our starting rotation. Bazardo would be insurance, plus he would move into the rotation, because I expect Roy and/or Wandy to be traded(maybe more hopeful then expecting) before the trade deadline next year.

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Agree, Moles is a good number 5 plus McTaggert brought up a nice point that if you remove his first 2 and last 2 starts his ERA goes down to 4.86 which would make 3 million not seem so bad.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I accuse you of not paying attention. Moehler outpitched the whole lot of Paulino, Bazardo, or Lopez.

The starting rotation next year should be Oswalt, Wandy, Norris, Paulino, and Moehler. Worst case for Moehler would be an early callup of a AAA starter (like Bazardo), where Moehler would transition to long relief in the bully.