1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say after last season, Realmuto probably hasn't lost too much value as he had a great season. That said, definitely agree with sentiment that Marlins don't know what they are doing. Yelich, Ozuna, and Realmuto should have been able to get Marlins farm system out of bottom third of farm systems.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Any numbers or observations on Tucker to illustrate why you don't think he's special? I haven't seen anything to say it's a fluke, but I'm interested in a new perspective..

3. Nook

Nook Member

Realmuto has a strong season for sure, but they burned a year of control which burns his value. I suspect the Astros would be far more willing to deal Tucker for 3 years or Realmuto than two.

4. Buck Turgidson

But Derek Jeter just wins?

5. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think Tucker is a fluke, I think he is likely to be a long term big leaguer. I just think he is closer to Reddick than an all star.

I base it mostly on having seen hundreds of his at bats. He has power and he has talent. I can see why he was a top target in the draft. My main issue with him is that other than a few hot streaks, he has never looked comfortable hitting. He doesn’t have great strike zone judgment. He often lets hittable pitches pass and swings at pitches that he cannot do much with. You can watch pitchers set him up and he doesn’t adapt as well as you would hope. Also I question whether he will ever hit for a high average based on his swing and pitch selection. If he is going to be a 250 hitter, he will need to either walk a lot or will need to really flash extra base power.

I don’t view him as a bust. I think he is likely a top 20 prospect. I just don’t put him in the class of some of the prospects around him. For example I don’t think he is near the prospect Whitley is.

I think you likely get a long term solid starter from Tucker when it is all said and done. You can hit him 6th or maybe 7th and at the end of the year get solid production.

I will say that if Tucker gets control and comfort within the strike zone, he could put up some elite seasons. The raw skills are like Yelich is some ways, just not the feel part of the game. Sometimes guys figure it out later but a lot don’t.

I also think he may need some time to realkycadapt to the big leagues.

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Jeter just wins with Clemens, Pettite, Cone, Wells, Rivera, Wettland, Nelson, Johnson, Williams, Rodriguez, Boggs, Posada, Tartabull..... Jeter doesn’t win with Dan Strailey.

MrBear1 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

He doesn't seem to win against other GMs either.

jsingles, No Worries and Nook like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Losing a year burns value, but finding another level adds value as each year left are worth more than we thought a year ago. Basically, he was expected to be worth about 9 WAR last years with 3 WAR a season. Now it is close to 8 WAR with 4 WAR a season left. It could have been much worse for the Marlins.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely set the over under on John Wetteland and Danny Tartabull references this offseason at 0.

kaleidosky and Nook like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

And he didn't even mention Scott Brosius

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Cangrejero faints

12. Nook

Nook Member

Damn it.... I badly wanted to throw in a Drew Henson reference but he never got over the hump. I can’t believe I forgot Brosius and Giambi and Tito Martinez... hard to remember them all because they Yankees just sent them to the glue factory when they were old and replaced them with whatever good free agent was on the market.

raining threes likes this.
  13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think the blow of losing Kyle Tucker in a trade for J.T. Realmuto would be lessened by trying to add in Derek Dietrich.
    His versatility alone would be magic for our bench.

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have already wasted a lot of time trying to get Dietrich and the Marlins wanted too much so the Astros made a deal with the Blue Jays. The Marlins don't know what they are doing.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

You beat my MLBTR notification by 3 minutes. Damn impressive, we're lucky to have you around, thanks!

17. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Have to think this is the kind of deal CFM would be looking for. Hopefully the money lines up to what he’s seeking. Would love to keep him around.

IowaAstro likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Astros must not be that concerned wrt Morton's injury troubles at the end of season.

Hopefully both sides can work out a deal fairly quickly.

19. Nook

Nook Member

"Now Charlie, you know how much you mean to us. I mean I picked you up off the scrap heap. You just need to know your worth and your place. Here is a contract for one year at $12,000,000 and a vesting option year for the same amount- with a low buyout." - Luhnow while taking Morton out to lunch at Jack in the Box for 99 cent tacos

Marteen and J.R. like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Define "not that concerned"......... lets see what the particulars of the contract are first.

Luhnow is the type of guy that hits garage sales and Big Lots for his family Christmas gifts.