1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

So funny. Girl got enough RTs to get Bergman to take her senior pics with her.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, if the number is ERA. The big difference in value between Verlander and Snell is Verlander pitched more innings as I expect they pitched about as well as each other as their FIP and xFIP are close. It is easier to be more efficient in less innings and getting people out in those extra innings added a lot of value to Verlander.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but by that logic, a reliever could never win the Cy Young (which they have won before).

Yes, Verlander had a great year. Snell had a great year. Until FIP or xFIP becomes more mainstream, ERA will still hold more weight when it comes to voters.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Generally, they should not.

5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Have you checked out his new youtube channel? He does some cool stuff such as crashing a wedding ( a fan asked him to or sent him an invite on social media) so Bregman and his friends actually went. They also phoned restaurants and asked if there were a server who recently had some misfortunes. Found someone and Bregman and his friends came up with a plan.

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Bregman (192 points) came in 5th in the MVP voting behind Betts (410), Trout (265), JRam (208), and JD (198).
    Verlander was 10th, Altuve was 14th.

Bregman got 1 2nd place vote from one of the Rangers writers

mikol13 likes this.
  7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Should be a short discussion, then.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This article mentions multiple times that Miami doesn’t want to trade Realmuto to an NL East team. Refusing to deal with 3 teams who fit the need the most would be monumentally stupid. But if that’s true, I believe it leaves essentially the Dodgers and the Astros as the 2 teams bidding for him. As Houston has been linked to Grandal, it may be that Luhnow’s plan is to bid up Realmuto to make LA overpay, then get a deal on Grandal when his market collapses (hoping that in the meantime other catcher-needy teams like the Braves, Nats, Mets, Brewers
    List of players worth including Tucker or Whitley:

Lindor
    Seager
    Jose Ramirez
    Judge
    Vlad Jr
    Trea Turner
    MAtt Chapman
    Juan Soto
    COdy Bellinger
    Stanton (Yanks cover 75% of salary)
    BEnintendi
    VOtto (reds cover 75% of salary)
    Acuna
    Ohtani
    Snell
    Marquez
    Buehler

10. raining threes

Realmuto fits in that group. If I traded Tucker then Realmuto would have to sign an extension.

I'm not as big a fan of Tucker as most. Im more of an Alvarez guy.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Voters picking a reliever and using ERA says more about the voters than it does about who the best pitcher is, IMO. ERA has inertia. Give it 20 years, and ERA will be treated like the win. Maybe 40 years. I do expect at some point a reliever will have a season so efficient in high leverage to be deserving of being recognized as the best pitcher as starting pitchers are being asked to do less.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not as pessimistic on ERA being treated like W/L any time soon... for the most part, the ERA leaders every year (as well as for all time) are still some of the best of the best (which is not always the case with guys who rack up wins).

I also don't think it will be as scoffed over as batting average is (unless all pitchers start having mediocre ERA)

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There are no players in that group with less than 3 years of control remaining. I don’t think it’d be wise to trade 6+ years of Tucker or Whitley for anyone who will cost $30M+ in 3 years or less, hence superstars like Trout not being on the list.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

BA leaders are still some of the best, and it was a great stat when we didn't have other measures. ERA was great when we didn't have better stats. ERA is a better stat than BA, and still gives good results comparable to the level of modern defensive stats.

15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I'm with you. A talented C is way more valuable than a talented LFer. I actually have no qualms if Kemp is our everyday LFer and hitting 9th as the second leadoff.

In a vacuum, I gladly take a Kemp/Realmuto combo over Tucker/Stassi.

I understand that Tucker comes with more cost-controlled years, but that additional value doesn't outweigh adding the best overall C in the game, who is 27 years years old and seemingly in his prime.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In a vacuum, I'd rather have Tucker than no one. Tucker likely wins 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 over no one. I'd rather Crane spend some more of that World Series money on a good catcher than trade a top prospect. If Miami is willing to accept quantity over quality, I'm fine with that.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Miami is insistent on Tucker or Whitley being the headliner, I would be ok with it if that was essentially the only real prospect going to Miami AND Miami sent something back along with Realmuto; either a big leaguer like Dietrich, Steckenrider, or Chen (with Miami covering all of Chen’s salary) or a 2nd tier position player prospect like Harrison, Scott, Banfield, Miller, Johnson, Pompey, Torres, Jones, Dunand, Mahan, Hernandez, or Brigman.

raining threes and Nippystix like this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree. The only problem I have with ERA is that errors made by the pitcher that leads to a run aren't included as earned runs. It's still a simple metric that keeps the older school fans interested. I respect the new age of stats but I don't understand most of them. I do understand that a 2.00 ERA is much better that a 3.50 or a 4.00. The other stuff tends to fall in line if a guy is putting up a 2.00.

I'd be more ok with Tucker being part of the trade than Whitley. I don't know about Tucker...but there's more signs that Whitley is going to be special, IMO.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, most of the new stats get rid of all fielding components, regardless of position, so not sure if that would help your viewpoint.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Deadline to set rosters for Rule 5 eligibility is Tuesday. Best link here:

https://whattheheckbobby.blogspot.com/2018/09/2018-rule-5-draft-primer-and-eligible.html

Houston has 6 open 40 man roster spots. Barring a trade I think they protect 4 guys:

Stubbs: up the middle player with elite contact tool and plus defense, MLB ready
    Armenteros: high floor MLB ready arm with MoR upside
    Thornton: high floor MLB ready arm with MoR upside
    R Ferrell: highly drafted arm with closer potential

Moderate risk players left exposed will be:
    Jonathan Arauz: struggled at High A, but has a high ceiling and is one of Houston’s Top 30 prospects
    Bryan Abreu: fast riser with elite stuff but hasn’t pitched above A ball
    Erasmo Pinales: High 90s stuff and pitched ok in AA, but lacks control

Moderate risk players:
    Akeem Bostick: former 2nd rd pick is still projectable and has pitched in AAA, but the results haven’t been there
    Jose Hernandez: oft injured arm hasn’t pitched above High A, but has looked great in winter ball

Others of note:
    Brendan McCurry, Ralph Garza, Justin Ferrell, Cy Sneed, Kent Emanuel: on the surface there’s no reason any of these guys would be taken, but you never know when a team will take a flier on an arm who has had some upper minors success
    Drew Ferguson, Nick Tanielu, Jamie Ritchie, Jack Mayfield: again, on the surface there’s no reason any of these guys would get picked, but each has something to like and it only takes one team to draft them.