1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. HTown2017Champs

Whoops, meant to say "I'm not a fan of Stassi." High on Stubbs, I'd like to see him further developed by us as an alternative to Realmuto (Unless Luhnow can magically get him without losing Tucker or Whitley).

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Stubbs

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Get A. Miller and N. Evoldi.
    Trade Yuli for Marcus Stroman.
    Trade Tucker and a Pop sickle for Realmuto.
    Trade C.Perez, J.B Butkrackus.., Jairo Solis and Derek Fisher for P. Goldschmidt.
    Resign Marwin, Sipp and Morton.

Keep ur eye in Degrom. If you can girl Whitley straight up for him go for it

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Forrest Whitley is a All Star in the Future. No way he will be traded. Forrest learning from Verlander and Cole will help develop Forrest even more.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Whitley probably gets the Tucker treatment. He will be with the team during spring training and then sent to AAA to prevent his service clock and possibly super 2 status from accruing.

6. Malaya

Malaya Member

I think he was supposed to come up this season if not for his drug suspension and subsequent injury.

Learning from Verlander would be very important for his development especially with Keuchel possibly gone and LMJ out from TJ surgery.

raining threes likes this.
  7. raining threes

I wonder what it would take to sign Ramos and trade for Goldschmidt?

If they let all of the FA's walk they should have the $$$$ to pay these guys. If they dont want to pay the prospect cost for Goldy Cruz would be a good consolation prize.

I think the rotation looks like this next yr,

JV
    Cole
    At some point Whitley
    Peacock
    Framber

I could also see Martin joining the rotation at some point.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Sure... and he will be there for spring training and then if he misses 12 days of the season the Astros get an additional year of control. Would you rather have 2 more Whitley starts next year or an extra year of control? Whitley hasn't made a start in AAA. The Astros have their excuse built in already.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure if the Astros care all that much about AAA in terms of pitchers.

LMJ never went to AAA before being called up. They also called up Perez this year basically out of AA.

If he's physically ready, and his stuff is good, they'll call him up after getting the extra year of control locked in... or if there's not a spot for him to begin the season, they'll wait till after super 2.

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

We are in agreement. My point regarding AAA is the Astros are going to take heat from the media if Whitley is on fire in spring training and striking out everyone. They will have some bs argument ready about he's not ready or he needs to work on a couple more things, etc. The AAA point was just another possible excuse they could use.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

In the Arizona Fall League for Forrest Whitley 3 Innings 8 Ks last time I saw his stats 2 weeks ago.

12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Justin Verlander
    Gerrit Cole
    Forrest Whitley
    Josh James
    Charlie Morton - if Astros want him

Dallas Keuchel seems unaffordable due to Correa, Bregman Contracts coming up. Springer Contract Raise.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Forrest Whitley had 3 body types, really overweight as a teen, really skinny, now Looking Stronger.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  15. awc713

awc713 Member

Everyone wants to get paid. That doesn't mean a damn thing. A team isn't going to fork over 100mil just because DK hired Boras and wants to get paid. I'll be very surprised if DK sniffs anything close to 5-6 years and 100-125m. It's just not going to happen. Not with the market, how the game has developed, and DK's mileage, velocity concerns, and home/road splits.

DK would've had a shot to land that type of contract if he hit the FA market 3-5 years ago, but the market for vastly overpaying above average SPs is gone. Especially with teams loading up on bullpen usage.

It doesn't mean DK won't get a nice payday, but he's not getting 100-125mil. Arrieta was in the same position (also with Boras) last year and ended up getting 3y/75m after holding out all offseason. Teams aren't budging. That's closer to what DK will command on the open market. Now, if you're saying even offering 3y/60m to DK is unreasonable for what he's likely to produce over the length of his contract, that's another topic. But that offer is likely to be competitive IMO. It may not win out, but I think that's the ballpark DK is looking at.

Fact is, DK has more value to HOU than to other teams because of his performance at MMP (and even more so if LMJ is truly out all of 2019). I don't doubt that other teams will be interested, but I don't expect anyone to throw the bank at DK at this point in his career. I could see rivals like NYY or TEX upping the offers to hit HOU harder, but I don't think anyone will offer him anything close to 5y and 100-125m.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, everybody is well aware of service time extending measures.

Also, not such a bad thing to try and ensure Whitley stays as healthy as possible for the season, stretch run, and possible playoffs. Some arms are more durable than others. Will Whitley be more like JV or LMJ?

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Josh James and Forrest Whitley will both be better than Keuchel this time next year.

Astros are set after they resign Cole.

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yu Darvish got 126 million after posting a 4.01 ERA in 2017 and getting lit up in the World Series. It was also reported that the Cubs offered Arietta a very similar deal to what they offered Darvish at the last minute before signing Darvish, but Arietta turned it down. Arietta's deal in Philly is front loaded and has the chance to be worth over 135 million dollars with options and incentives. You could argue Keuchel had a better year in 2018 than Darvish in 2017. Keuchel was not terrible in the playoffs like Darvish and pitched to a 3.60 ERA with a 1.10 WHIP in the post season this year. I fully expect Keuchel to land a 100 million dollar deal from some team or a front loaded deal with options like Arietta. Either way, too rich for the Astros.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

tough to watch altuve playing basically on one leg and hobbling around the bases. i wonder if correa is going to have any type of procedure done. guess well find out soon enough