1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Obviously it's not *just* Luhnow, but I wonder how big of an impact the Astros rise to success (as well as apparent longevity) helped change the outlook of the sport. The sport was destined for a FA halt like this one, and you have to wonder how much of it is due to JL's blueprint.

And as a side note, NYY just extended Severino 4y/40m (through all arbitration years), with a 5th year option that pushes it up to 52m. Seems a like a great deal, all things considered.

#3741 awc713, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    desihooper and Jake Tower like this.
  2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I think Astros fans almost immediately coming back to the stadium after the teardown has given owners confidence.

Pretty much every fanbase would take 3-4 years of garbage baseball if they could end up with a team like the Astros.

3. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

It's crazy we had that much of an impact. Even crazier it took Ivy League guys to figure out 10 year contracts are a bad idea.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think teams trying to duplicate Houston’s rebuilding process are making a big mistake because:

1. Houston was lucky they were the only team undertaking this kind of rebuild at that time; teams trying to do it today are competing for those #1 picks with several other tanking teams.

2. The rules surrounding acquisition of amateur talent (draft and international signing pools) have changed. It’s not as easy to sign a guy underslot and then get another elite prospect with a subsequent pick, or to go balls out getting international signees. And again, there’s more competition for those resources.

3. Houston was lucky. Correa, Bregman, and Altuve are on HoF tracks. No team can guarantee they will have that level of congealed talent no matter how hard they tank.

I’m not saying teams should all be clamoring to give out $300M contracts, but I don’t think another team will ever be able to fully replicate Houston’s model.

prospecthugger, BigM, Nook and 3 others like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

HOU was extremely lucky. You're right, teams can't replicate what HOU pulled off. Luhnow deserves a ton of praise for how well built this organization is...but he did just happen to walk into Altuve, Kuechel, and Springer. Like...what are the chances? Inheriting a future first-ballot HOFer, a Cy Young winner, and perennial all-star/WS MVP?

Hopefully we're nowhere near done. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming draft and seeing how our farm plays. That's perhaps the craziest part of HOU's organization. Not only is our team projected to win a league-best 98 games, but our farm is stacked and showing no signs of slowing down. Graduating (2) top 10 prospects will hurt, but JL has shown the ability to find and develop MLB-quality players like it's nothing. Hopefully the FO losses don't sting too much in that category.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The real coup (for everyone besides the actual players) would have been getting a few of core signed to a Steph Curry/Jose Altuve pre-arbitration extension. That would have been a game changer had Correa/Bregman/Springer taken a Jon Singleton deal.

Hope they can figure out a way to keep it going now that the guys are coming up on arbitration and/or free agency. If a couple of the arms pan out, will definitely help subsidize the expensive bats.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

So are we gonna just forget the post season Gurriel had in 2017?

I mean since we are propping a big regular season HR.

I like both but that seems like a rather arbitrary thing to hang your hat on.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

What is with the argument of White vs Gurriel as if only one will be able to play? I expect them to get the majority of ABs at 1B and DH with Gurriel moving around a little bit and maybe playing some 3rd and 2nd. There are plenty of ABs to go around.

raining threes and DoitDickau like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Yes it was. Many times by many people. It was also reported, more shakily, that the Nats kept going with continuing negotiations and upped the offer accordingly. But whatever you say is cool with me. No skin off my back.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

in wrasslin' news...

CrushCity likes this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. astros123

astros123 Member

Please provide me a source where nats ownership or boras confirmed this 300mil offer. I'll be waiting....

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Washington Nationals’ GM Mike Rizzo wasn’t giving anything away when he was asked in an interview with 106.7 the FAN in D.C.’s Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier in late November if a rumored 10-year/$300M offer to Bryce Harper at the end of the season was a starting point or a final offer.

“Well, we’re certainly not going to discuss over the air what our negotiating posture is and what our strategy is and that type of thing,” Rizzo told Grant and Danny.

“It was an offer out of respect to one of our hallmark players that I’ve know since he was 16 years old. It was driven and given by ownership directly to him."

Astrofan59 and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. CinematicFusion

Phillies rumors: Bryce Harper to get 10 years, $310 million

16. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Once Harper signs the rest will fall in line.

Astros got a steal on Brantley if he stay healthy.

17. raining threes

Top 10 hitter in the AL if healthy.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Side bar: we obviously can't be the mystery team, but man that would be ridiculous. We'd theoretically have to package out Reddick with some prospects, but that would be so cool to see. Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Harper, Brantley, Correa? That is so stupid. Best lineup in history stupid.

#3760 awc713, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    mikol13 and Smacktle like this.