1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

No to DK. Even 15 mil per year for 4+ years is more than I'd like to gamble.

jim1961 and CVcrew like this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

Congrats to the new HOF inductees, but can’t help feeling like the voting system is deeply flawed.

Mariano and Hoffman are both great, no doubt. But both are first ballot (and first unanimous), yet Wagner can’t muster any serious support?

Halladay was a fantastic pitcher. Truly one of the greats. Was an absolute joy to watch, and a workhorse the likes of which we just won’t see again. But I wonder how much of his first ballot induction is emotionally tied to his sad, recent passing.

Johan and Roy O both has similar careers, and both are now officially off the ballot. I’m not hating on Halladay. He was truly elite. But for him to go in first ballot while so many others have waited or been kicked off...just doesn’t feel right.

Roy Halladay ‘04-‘11: 129-61 2.93 ERA 1.106 WHIP 7.1 K/9
    - 1 CY Young

Johan Santana ‘04-‘12: 122/60 2.89 ERA 1.067 WHIP 8.9 K/9
    - 1 Triple Crown
    - 2 CY Young’s
    - 3 ERA titles

Halladay 3.38 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 6.9 K/9, 131 ERA+

Oswalt 3.36 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 7.4 K/9, 127 ERA+

3. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

It's definitely a popularity content. Frustrating at times, for sure.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm glad someone finally got in unanimously. It shows the continued improvement in the voter base. They've done a good job of taking out the trash recently.

No I'm not voting anybody first ballot, or voting on anybody from the steroid era.

I'm not a big fan of closers, but Riveras postseason numbers are eyepopping. Only closer that would have my vote.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Wagner got 16.7%, I’m frankly surprised he even got the 5% to remain on the ballot. His numbers aren’t remotely close to Rivera’s or Hoffman’s. And he’s given up more runs in the playoffs than innings pitched.

Halladay was the best pitcher in baseball for a solid decade. He won 2 Cy Young’s not one. Reached 200 Wins (Oswalt and Santana didn’t come close). There’s numbers aren’t close to Doc’s. Yes he’s a deserving first ballot

LonghornFan likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wagner's numbers not remotely close to Hoffman's? Using the Fangraphs's WAR Graph function to compare fWAR, comparing best season to best season, second to second, etc, I get the image below. This is the closest I've ever seen WAR numbers using this function for guys with that long of a career. Each of their 4th through 14th best seasons were nearly identical in value. Wagner gets a slight edge for having the best season. Hoffman wins 2nd, 3rd, and slight tail after the 14th best.

Edited: I flipped Hoffman and Wagner's names. Numbers so close I got confused who was who.

[​IMG]

#3186 Joe Joe, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was surprised by Oswalt and Berkman not getting to 5%. Santana has become so underrated...I assume because the back end of his career was injury riddled. But he was just as good as Halladay. He was dominating for a good enough stretch that I thought he should have fared better in the voting. I was also surprised that Pettitte only received 9.9%. Would've thought the NY connection would garner more, plus his postseason stats.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

To preface (again), I have zero issue with him in the hall. My issue is that he got in on the first ballot, when MANY others have waited or been kicked off who are relatively comparable to Halladay.

Mussina and Schilling are ranked 23rd and 26th all time in WAR at 83 and 80.6. Halladay ranks 41st with 65. Mussina *finally* got in and Schilling is still fighting (douchery and all).

All in all, I’m not saying Santana or Oswalt should be in. I am saying that they deserved to be on the ballot longer. The inconsistencies of the Hall are just so frustrating.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Drew Pomeranz to the Giants.

Marteen likes this.
  10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Someone want to knock on Luhnow's door and make sure he is ok? Awfully quiet on the Astros front. And NO I am not saying the loss of Pomeranz is anything big at all. Would like to hear something out of the Astros camp. Maybe it is the completely uninspiring Rockets season (with the exception of Harden's brilliant season).

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Astros were interested in Pomeranz but wanted a multi year deal with team options. Pomeranz wanted and took a one year deal to regain his value. It doesn't make a lot of sense for the Astros to do that. They likely lost 2 starters to free agency with Morton and Keuchel. Then next year they could lose 3 more with Cole, Verlander, and McHugh being free agents. It makes more sense to let Josh James or another young guy make those starts that will be under team control for many years over letting Pomeranz rebuild his value here only to bolt with our other pending free agents after the season.

IowaAstro and Madmanmetz like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s all fine but $5M seems awful cheap for the upside.

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

At this point Keuchel’s value has dipped so much, I think a 3-4yr/50-60 mil is very realistic.

14. Nook

Nook Member

This is correct.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Had Roy Oswalt pitched longer and pitched deep in the playoffs, he would likely be getting quite a bit of support.

Roy Oswalt was a true ace, but the ride didn't last long.

16. Buck Turgidson

The HOF turned into a joke a few years ago. I wouldn't worry about it much anymore.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wouldn’t mind seeing this. Anything less than $70M/4 is a steal imho.

18. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Which inductees made it a joke a few years ago? Trammell? Hoffman? Bagwell? Pudge?

texans1095 likes this.
  19. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Bonds, Clemens

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

According to the Associated Press, Major League Baseball is seeking to increase the DL and option time minimums for players.
    MLB shifted from a 15-day disabled list to a 10-day disabled list in 2016, as part of baseball's new labor contract, but the league now wants to move it back to 15 after watching teams game the system, particularly in rotating middle relievers and back-end starters. Major League Baseball also wants to require players who are optioned to the minor leagues to remain there for 15 days, rather than the current 10. Per the Associated Press report: "Talks are ongoing and are expected to extend to the eve of spring training, if not beyond."