1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Get Pitching!

Look at the Giants .... I dont even know their lineup.

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

One guy that I think the Stros should make a play for is Javier Vazquez, the guy has sucked AGAIN this season with the Yanks but everywhere else he has pitched he has been good to great. I am pretty convinced, NY has gotten into his head so a change of scenery, again, would do him great. Stros could probably sign him relatively cheap to a 3 year deal and really make that rotation look good. Two years ago he had a 2.87 ERA and looked really sharp with the Bravos...

Myers
    Wandy
    Vazquez
    Happ
    Norris

Formidable rotation IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The AL East lineup is probably too tough for Vasquez ^^^.

I agree he is much better in the NL where the offense is not as good.

4. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

Just for fun...Why would Pujols ever accept a trade here? And what would it take?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/09/odds-ends-ozzie.html

•Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch notes (on Twitter) that Albert Pujols would approve trades to the Astros, Marlins, Dodgers and Angels. :eek:

5. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

The Astros were last in the league in OBP,SLG, and HRs. They need hitting. But they should really just ride out 2011 and try to make a strong push in 2012.

6. DontTradeOswalt

Probably the fact that he owns Minute Maid Park, he could hit 60 HRs in Houston. Don't know the number so I might be wrong, but it seems like he always hits a HR at MMP

And I've been saying it since the trade deadline, the 'Stros should sign Vazquez or Webb

7. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

He has a slightly higher home rate at MMP, but his OBP, SLG, and AVG at MMP are all below his career averages in those stats.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

all those cities (HOU, MIA and LA) share:

1. warm weather

2. large hispanic populations

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

The Freak and Cain are home grown from their farm system.

10. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Honestly our pitching wasn't very bad at all last year. It was our batting. We need a full year from Hunter Pence and Carlos Lee. Our rotation has three above average starters. Norris showed some good signs late in the season and even though Felipe Paulino was injured and only won 1 game, he still pitched pretty well for a 5th starter. We just need some bats. Bourn was also a disappointment this year. Maybe(but highly likely) if we could sign an all star to get some people back to Minute Maid. It was rough going to the games and only seeing 20,000 people.

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Webb is basically done in my opinion. You have to assume he is a 2 year project, meaning you should not expect any legitimately average to above average pitching on the Major league level from him until 2012. Even that is somewhat of a long shot, and all it takes is one team overpaying for that chance.

I agree that Vazquez is potentially worth a flyer similar to what the Astros did with Myer. However, I have a feeling they will be outbid for him and I would not want to give him anything longer than 2 years because of his age and mileage on his arm. I would rather the Astros try some young unproved arms from the farm, or young discards from other teams.

12. rockets934life

Webb's velocity was WAY down during his first start in the minors but then it increased over his next few starts. I think he is targeting next year to come back and since velocity was never his strong suit anyway, I'd give him a shot.

An incentive based contract for 2 years with an option for a 3rd to protect yourself a bit would be fine by me. Worst case, he doesn't come back and sits out next season but is ready for 2012, you have a healthy middle of the rotation guy ready much like the Cards did with Carpenter.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Doubt it, but I hope seeing the Rangers win the AL lights a fire under Drayton's ass.

14. E-Man

E-Man Member

God damn it! If the Rangers win the World Series, we're going to hear a bunch of Dallas hicks brag about for years to come. :mad:

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I just watched Nolan Ryan accept the ALCS trophy for the Rangers - the same Nolan Ryan who used to play for the Lastros. The same Nolan Ryan who John McMullen ran out of town. The same Nolan Ryan who just righted one of the most dysfunctional organizations in the whole of baseball all under the cloud of bankruptcy. The SAME Nolan Ryan who should have been a part of the Astros organization for life. I cannot BEGIN to express the bitter taste I have in my mouth tonight from watching yet another result of Houston Astros' stupidity. :(

1 person likes this.
  16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

How exactly does Nolan buying a team and them heading to the WS in his first year as an owner equate to Astros stupidity? :confused:

17. RocketMania1991

You do realize this is one good year, albeit they may win a championship. The Astros have been a far more successful franchise with at least a decent history.

You act like the Astros have been trash forever, the Rangers have had ONE good season while the Astros many.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Watching playoff baseball makes me wish the Astros regular season started all over today. That, and a heaping helping of Ken Burns I've been watching lately.

161 days until Opening Day

168 until Home Opener

19. rockets934life

Hope it doesn't, we are on the right path and if Uncle "D" got an itchy trigger finger we could see another 100 million dollars being lit on fire. Stros need to stay the course, pick up key parts here and there and when the time is right, make the big signing to put them over the top much like the Rangers did with Vlad and the Lee via trade.

20. rockets934life

Bags not coming back as hitting coach according to Tags, Footer and Justice.

I hope the go after a guy like Billy Doran, he was a good hitter in his day and has been a solid coach.