1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Including mine.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

LOL you don't understand why us fans are dejected? We just lost EVERY game at home during the world series, lost Cole to the Yanks, have the largest investigation in baseball history hanging above our heads. These have been some of the worst 6 weeks in Astros history.

If the MLB investigation comes down harshly on us then I expect a major dip in attendance this year. Astros attract a very pro-family crowd and being labeled cheaters will draw a lot of people away. We're obviously die-hard fans here but alot of families will spend alot less on Stros gear then years before.

CheezeyBoy22, joshuaao and CrushCity like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Uhh... pretty sure this is a speck of dust compared to the steroid investigation and Mitchell Report.

This is nonsense. No one is going to care if the Astros used trash cans to steal signs when it comes to attendance. Casual fans go to have a fun evening out with friends or family. The only thing that will cause a drop in attendance is if the Astros stop winning.

AB423, marks0223, jiggyfly and 6 others like this.
  4. right1

right1 Member

Looking at what's left on the free agent market for Starting Pitchers, I wouldn't mind the Astros making a good offer to Julio Teheran. Reliability, consistency, health and room for imptovement (working with Strom) are traits that are appealing when signing a SP. Less expensive than Ryu, less of a risk than Wood. Teheran has gone 7 years straight with 30+ starts and boasts a career 3.67 ERA. Wouldn't be a bad target for the Astros at this point.

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Out of curiosity how did the trade from osuna affect the attendance?
    I think if they continue winning most people would not care that they cheated

raining threes likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Arizona’s signing of Bumgarner could mean Robbie Ray will be traded, since the Diamondback have MadBum, Leake, Kelly, Gallen, and Weaver all slotted for the rotation.

Ray would be a rental, which isn’t ideal for Houstons situation, but he seems like a “Strom Magic” candidate who might warrant a QO after a season in Houston.

Arizona has needs at 1B, 3B, RF, and RP. I think a package of Toro and a big league ready reliever (Perez, Valdez, Deetz, Armenteros) would be a fair deal for both sides, although depending on your opinion of Toro it could be an overpay.

But a better deal would be getting Ray and Archie Bradley, perhaps increasing the prospect package with another arm or two. So Ray and Bradley for Toro, C Perez, F Valdez, and Riley Ferrell?

I’m also wondering if Sal Perez could be a target for catcher. Send them Reddick and enough prospects to make it worth their while.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  7. prospecthugger

I have absolutely no faith in Dayton Moore being reasonable about Sal Perez's value.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Perez is coming off Tommy John surgery and the Royals intend to play him at 1B a lot to save his arm.

Not really the best situation for our needs at catcher

9. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

But he had a cannon when healthy, so hopefully he can regain most arm strength within the next 12-18 months. I like the idea, he could be a great buy-low candidate. Might not have an immediate impact at catcher for 2020, but could be a great solution for 2021 and beyond.

He also has tremendous talent, but his numbers drop as he wears down throughout the year. With efficient load management, I think we could keep him fresh and productive most of the year.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

FWIW, Perez is also a close friend of Jose Altuve.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I wouldn't expect any major signings. Most likely bargain hunting like with Wade Miley last year, which means probably more late offseason timeframe. Anything before then it's likely a trade that look for more team control/salary dump like the rumored Correa for Castillo swap.

I don't fault the team too much here. Greinke was essentially our offseason signing and to replace Cole. McCullers is coming back. We still have some potential back end starter options to look at. And there's always midseason trade if we need help. Tucker replacing Redick will be a boost. Overall not too concerned.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tough to say. Not nearly as big an effect as winning in the short term.

eliefor3 likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is complete and utter nonsense.

We also won every game on the road.

Major dip in attendance?

Really

Some people just love to look at worst case scenario.

AB423 likes this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

2 years $8 million is a tremendous deal. Good stuff.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Imho unless they make a trade that includes Bryan Abreu, the bullpen is set: Smith, Peacock, Devenski, Biagini, Abreu, James, Pressly, Osuna

17. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Really need James to step up big time and take over Harris role.

18. Jeremy Williams

Peacock could be SP5.

19. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I'd love Betances.

20. Jeremy Williams

You believe the 26th man will be a hitter?