1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Pedro Leon?

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

**** those fans. Affected them in no bad way in 2017

Bobbythegreat, The Beard, msn and 2 others like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

If this gets to court the Astros brand is going to get obliterated. There are more worms and the lawyers are going to dig them out. Including what happened on the road and on the mound.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

We have to bury this. And that's why I think we just need to help the league keep all of this cheating under wraps.

6. msn

msn Member

How'd that work for us in the steroid era?

The Beard likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Basically there is;

A) What the public knows now.
    B) What the public knows plus what MLB knows ( the secret testimony )
    C) What the Public Knows, what MLB knows, and what the Lawyers dig out.

The Astros can keep this at A if they can keep it out of court. And it will likely get to B in about 5 years. But C will take about 20 years. But if this goes to court A,B, and C will throw gas on the fire right now and our brand and value burn.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong for mlb long term. I'm against cheating. I'm just saying what is best for the Astros.

#2367 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

Disagree. I’m not worried about the trial at all (nor it’s affect on the Astros brand). They tried to force Astros into a bologna settlement and the Astros aren’t blinking hence the trial setting. I read the suit months ago when it came out and thought it was flimsy at the time. I would be surprised if it actually goes in early 2021.

The Beard, jiggyfly and msn like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

It not the case. Nor the decision. All of it may be flimsy. But Lawyers are lawyers. It's what comes out in trial. if we go, it's the statements that go on record. It's what mlb must reveal. It's what they dig up on the front office and the players.. Everything gets escalated and intensified. It all comes out. We have rats. And not everyone is going to lie. MLB took it easy on all the conspirators so far. We are still sitting pretty even if we don't want to believe it. But the legal system won't take it easy on us. And sooner or later, this goes to the next level. The problem being, we are the face of it. All the shiot is going to land here as the rats scurry, just like it did on Armstrong.

#2369 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

So...I just don't expect anything to come out that's more damning than that which has already come out in the investigation. Players and personnel have already been probed and taken their stances. As a side note, because the plaintiffs are suing under the TX DTPA, I think it would open up a can of worms for the entire league (not just the Astros). Personally, I think the plaintiffs are just on a fishing expedition hoping that the Astros will cave and settle. I think they are exploiting the publicity of situation and trying to make a buck off of the risks they know to exist based on the situation. They've got their chests out ready to take depositions knowing good and well that the Astros (nor MLB) want that to happen. I think there is a good argument for having the suits thrown out, but we will have to wait to see how HOU's legal team responds. But, hey, that's just my two cents as a trial lawyer myself. What do I know.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Crane's gotta carry all the weight in this town with LTS and emperor asschin running the other 2 franchises.

Bobbythegreat, Nook and awc713 like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Jim Crane is hopeful that the @astros will be able to get fans in the stands at some point this season.

— Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) June 24, 2020

Astros owner Jim Crane on the upcoming offseason: "We're in a position to be aggressive, no matter what the market looks like."

— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) June 24, 2020

Astros owner Jim Crane on the MLB/MLBPA negotiations: "There's no winner here. We have no revenue, the players aren't getting paid if we're not playing. The main concern has always been 'Can we play?' and we got it worked out. It was difficult on everybody."

Astros owner Jim Crane: "I'm pretty good at numbers. I've run a lot of businesses. The impact on the teams, losses on the teams, are accurate. The numbers out there, north of $3 billion in losses for the teams, is accurate. Our losses will be significant, tens of millions"

James Click said the Astros will finalize their "alternate site" for the taxi squad today. Heard yesterday that the team sent a group out to tour Constellation Field in Sugar Land as one possibility. Heard the University of Houston's field is another choice.

Dusty Baker is headed to Houston tomorrow. Said he's been talking to players, "they're ready and have a great attitude. They want to go back to the top where they belong."

— Julia Morales (@JuliaMorales) June 24, 2020

Dusty Baker, 71: "I've seen the reports in Houston, how COVID's gone up. I'm going to have to really be careful. I've got about 100 different masks. I've got some gloves. I've got sunglasses. I've got all the reports on what to do and how to stay good."

— Jake Kaplan (@jakemkaplan) June 24, 2020

Dusty Baker expressed concerns about Roberto Osuna and Jose Urquidy, who are in Mexico, but said they have been quarantined and being safe. COVID-19 is on the rise in Mexico.

— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) June 24, 2020

More Dusty: "We haven't been together as a group. This is new for us all. This a tight knit group we have here. We're going to have to do what we have to do to stay healthy."

— Alyson Footer (@alysonfooter) June 24, 2020

The Beard likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

dmoneybangbang and msn like this.
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Strictly from an Astros competition standpoint....I’m not sure if the shortened season helps any team more

Our top two starters are older and you could see the effects of being used so hard on JV towards the end last year. Those two only having 10-12 starts each will put them in a great place to be dominant come playoff time

Lance would have been on an innings limit this year and now that isn’t a concern. Not only will he likely be able to complete the entire season and playoffs now, it will be about the right amount of innings to continue progressing back from the surgery

My biggest worry on this team pre-corona was pitching depth, JV and ZG being rode too hard in the regular season and Dusty having to make decisions on Lance, those issues are gone now

Assuming Presley is healthy I’ll take my chances with out pen also. If Urquidy can step up to be solid #3 playoff starter the option to use Lance in the pen towards the end of the playoffs could be a difference maker. I still believe the #1 reason we won it all in 17 was the ability to use Lance and Charlie our of the pen

Let’s go win another F’n ring

16. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Can't find the article I read today but basically said the same thing what you said regarding Verlander and McCullers. They also said Alvarez will benefit with the universal DH. Also mentioned Toro with the slightly expanded roster. Originally no room for Toro but there is now. Also, once the roster gets smaller as the season goes on, he would be potentially a first call up. Oh and Correa was the other player who benefits with the short season.

desihooper and Nook like this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I said this exact thing a few weeks ago. No restrictions on JV, ZG, or Lance. I doubt they'd move Lance to the pen for the playoffs so I'd say Urquidy would be there instead.

Oh my the heads that will explode if we win it this year...

RayRay10 and The Beard like this.
  19. The Beard

Yea I didn’t even think about Alvarez, now he won’t have to sit in NL parks

2020 has been ****, but might as well win #2 and see what 2021 has in store

RayRay10 and punkoholic like this.
  20. The Beard

Yea I don’t think they would move him in the sense of working short stints often. But if Urquidy can handle the #3 role, Lance on 4 days rest closing out a few innings of a huge ZG start.....

Just sayin

RayRay10 likes this.