1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 20, 2018.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Astros have been freakin dreadful for a long a$$ time now.

2. Nook

Nook Member

*Looks around*

“Goodnight! That’s enough for tonight.”

*Turns the lights out*

3. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Poor fielding on that play; not sure what mchugh was thinking by not darting over to first. He knows how fast Gordon is and that white was gonna try to field that ball.

As bad as the hitting has been poor fielding has really hurt the past couple weeks.

Correa has been a net negative since returning. Has cost us more runs with poor fielding than he’s contributed offensively. Another crucial error tonight just like Friday night.

Keeping Correa in the 4-hole at this point is insane. Just how poorly does a guy have to play offensively before you move him into a spot more befitting of his value?

Correa is clearly just not ready to contribute yet. That has to be addressed by hinch. Maybe another stint in the minors to get his **** together? Or worst case move him to 8 or 9 hitter.

4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I guess he assumed White was going to let it go for Gurriel and White was going to cover first. I guess McHugh should have still ran as backup and if White ended up covering first, Mchugh could have backed off.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Not sure if I can watch these games anymore. I'll wait until they can get on 2 or 3 game win streak then I'll resume. Got too many things happening in my personal life and can't add the Stros sucking balls on top of it.

6. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Yeah, because the Astros haven’t been playing without 3 of their top hitters plus their starting catcher at all this season. You’re totally right.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

bright side is altuve and springer will be in the lineup tomorrow...

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Enter...

[​IMG]

9. Malaya

Malaya Member

My only interest is finding out who's the starter tomorrow.

Astros are too inconsistent to know which team will show up each game. The wildcard is not a sure thing.

Even with all the injuries, I expect them to show more pride and more fight. There's still time to arrest the skid but it's fast running out.

10. HTown2017Champs

Trade for Murphy or Smoak for first base. Gurriel back to third, Bregman back to shortstop, I am serious. Correa has been ice cold since around Father's Day or sometime. And while he's made some good plays, it seems like he's made more bad ones. I agree that so far he's been a net negative since coming back. He's like 2-20 or something. Maybe have him DH for a while and then put him back in the field (Murphy/Smoak to DH) when he gets his act together. Gattis can go as a DH, he has a ton of power but is too inconsistent and without the Colorado game he's in a 2-30 or something (lost track). Not someone I want to rely on in the playoffs. I really hope Luhnow is serrously calling teams with good bats available, if he doesn't do something we're going to be in trouble. Oakland has gotten MUCH better lately.

11. HTown2017Champs

Peacock has been announced as tomorrow's starter.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Think tonight is just a vision of the future pen in the playoffs. McHugh and Sipp having fabulous seasons, but I think they are what history tells us they are. I would not rely on them for anything more than what they were. Limited trust.

Malaya likes this.
  13. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

Cano gets suspended 90 games for ped and comes back and hits everything. Our superstar Correa missed a month and he’s lucky to make contact. I honestly don’t think this team is making the playoff

14. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

When I turned off the TV and DVR'd the rest after the 3rd inning we were up 4-2. This morning getting up it appears they didn't get another friggin hit the rest of the way. Needless to say I hit delete on the rest of the game I recorded. I slept really good last night but probably would not if I had stayed up and watched innings 4 - 9. What a nightmare this season is becoming. This team needs to wake up. They are playing very inconsistently and quite frankly playing like crap.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Glad I turned it off to sleep during the 8th.

West coast games suck.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So... just a longer version of "season's over!"?

kaleidosky likes this.
  17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The 2017 Astros were 11-17 in August. With a much healthier roster IIRC.

I doubt any Verlander-esque deals are going to come along but if there is something that can give the lineup a little shot in the arm down the stretch, you do it ten out of ten times. You don't punt on a season on a team with this much talent, especially with the rotation we have. And this front office knows how to rebuild a farm system.

Also, it has been a rough couple of weeks but we did take 2/3 from the Dodgers and at Seattle (to close out July), so no they aren't just "pounding on bad teams" and they have beaten Seattle.

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Correa's one and only problem right now is that he's not good at baseball. If he can fix that one problem then he'll be a nice contributor.

SWTsig likes this.
  19. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

At this rate we may have the highest run differential of a team to not make the playoffs ever.

20. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Yes we beat Seattle 2 of 3 in July. Since then theyve beat us 5 straight.

So we are now 2-6 in our last 8 against Seattle.

When you watch our games against the division you can see how much more competitive the mariners or athletics at bats are than ours.

At this point the teams know each other very well. But the mariners and athletics at bats reflect that.

They are forcing our Starters out of the game by using the familiarity to force deep counts and tax them. They are laying off what they know our pitchers like to throw to get batters to chase and getting advantageous pitches and then barrellling up.

Meanwhile our hitters just don’t have a plan when they go to the plate: They are just swinging for the fences almost every at bat and aside from bregs showing poor plate discipline.

2-6 in our last 8 against Seattle and 2-5 in our last 7 against Oakland.

These teams are just better than us right now; our only hope is that they hit slumps when they aren’t playing us but they are all over us right now.

You just can’t call yourself elite going 4-11 in the stretch against your 2 biggest rivals in a stretch of games we knew would more or less define the season.