1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

To you guys in Az, where do you live? I just moved here a few weeks ago.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps I shouldn't have left the Astros, but I'm a baseball traditionalist, I guess. As a fan since the franchise began, who sat at Colt Stadium with my late father fighting off the mosquitoes while the Dome was a hole in the ground, it royally pissed me off that the new owner was allowed to sell out the team's history so he could line his pockets. That history meant something to me and still does. Walking away from the team wasn't easy for me, but I don't regret it. I just have to have some baseball, even if I still ardently believe it is an outrage that "switching" leagues was not only allowed, but encouraged by baseball. I don't doubt that a hell of a lot of executives and owners were privately astonished that Houston did it.

Batter up! And thanks for the sentiment. :)

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Didn't get to watch game today but from highlights it looks like Martes was in control of his stuff. Was he doing anything different mechanics wise that folks noticed?

4. KeuchelForPresident

Well I highly doubt Max is a commie, but you could say it is oddly appropriate insofar as the masonic compass (superimposed on the hammer) was a part of the inspiration for the shape of the baseball field as we know it today.

If we have "Springer Dingers", now we may as well have "Stassi Stingers" too

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As much as I was against it, I've gotten to the point where I prefer it (the AL). I'd rather not see the pitcher hit any more.

That said, welcome back!

Deckard, kaleidosky and Astrodome like this.
  6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I understand the outrage and being upset.

I understand people flipping on the titans/oilers for moving cities etc.

I just never understood the boycott for a team heavily encouraged and compensated by the league. Especially when it's out of one's control.

None the less, I'm not questioning your fandom and you absolutely have the right to be as upset and angry as you want and express it however you like.

I'm just glad your back because the ride has been fantastic, especially so if you followed and stayed committed through the dark ages of recent.

*superstition alert*

Thanks to you, we will officially exit our slump and go back to world beaters thanks to your renewed fandom.

And for that I thank you sir

Deckard likes this.
  7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Agreed. I feel dumb for ever caring.

Fyreball likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And dumb for thinking a pitcher batting is in any way entertaining (aside from the occasional moments like yesterday). Fans (rightly) gripe about offensive black holes like Everett or Ausmus at the end of a line-up but readily accept an even bigger black hole with the pitcher. That now makes zero sense to me.

9. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I'm with you and Rocketman95. Also, I am definitely not complaining about moving out of the same division of the Cubs. And heck, the Cardinals, Brewers, and the Pirates would all be formidable foes as well.

Ultimately, it wasn't my preference at the time, but in retrospect, I think it's more of a blessing than a curse.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

And I know some feel that it was forced, but the rivalry with the Rangers is far more intense and personal than anything I ever felt towards the Cardinals/Cubs/etc.

Sure, we had some exciting games and pennant races against them, but they never hated us as much as we hated them. (Well, maybe Chris Correa did.)

Joshfast likes this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I was upset at first because of the late west coast division games but not having to watch the pitcher bat makes it better. I miss playing the Cubs, Braves, Cards and Mets but at least we brought our old logo back!

12. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'm with you. And it all really got started for me with Hank Conger. I was indifferent about the Rangers until Stinky Odor slow-played that at-bat and Hank stood up. Then came the Bannister finger wave and the rest is hatred.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What I also always underrated was managerial strategy in the AL.

I thought it was "easier" if they never had to worry about pinch-hitting for the pitcher, or making double-switches, etc.

Now, I've come to acknowledge that NL managers have built-in "safety" checks, like having to pinch-hit for a pitcher... that allows them to make the decision to remove a pitcher much easier or almost built-in. The AL manager really has to know when his pitcher is on the verge of giving it up, or whether or not its wise for him to even start an inning... without the luxury of keeping him in till his spot in the order is due up.

There's also more lineup construction decisions to be made in the AL with the DH position in flux. Guys who need rest can DH. Guys who can play multiple positions are relied upon to do so, with the flexibility the DH provides. Pinch-hit decisions go beyond simply having to worry about the pitchers spot coming up.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Disowning the team was always silly to me. Doing so meant you hated the DH more than you loved your team. Doesn't make sense.

Also never understood Houston-based Titan fans. Once they left, bye. Respect the history, but zero future cheers.

Nick likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That is simply not true. I'm sorry that you are unable to understand why someone like me would walk away from Houston baseball in anger, but it had nothing to do with how I felt about the Astros. It had everything to do with what I still see as a betrayal of the Astros' history and tradition by the new owner so he could line his pockets. That Houstonians have moved on and put it in the rear view mirror is fine, and it's what I'm doing now, but I was far from being the only Houstonian who was very upset about the change from the NL to the AL. Living in Austin the last 30+ years made it easier, but I certainly used to come to Houston for games. I went to see the Big Unit in '98 and had seats behind home plate. He was amazing to watch and we won. It's the pity of the world that the team didn't go farther in the playoffs, but that's baseball. Unpredictable.

Nick likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think disowning is too strong of a word to describe this sentiment... but there was a bit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Houstonians who followed the Astros certainly got a raw deal... but it did not necessarily eradicate this team's rich history.

And even the staunchest NL advocates have to acknowledge the potential benefit of having a true natural 2-way rival for the first time in team history. Rangers hate the Astros. Astros hate the Rangers. No other team will come close for the respective fan-bases or franchises.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Had Crane changed the name of the team...like he talked about...that might have been too much for me; particularly coupled with a league change at the same time. A big part of the Astros is their connection for me to my family and growing up here....that might have killed it...or at least made me care way less than I do.

I never thought I could hate a pro sports franchise as much as I hate the Texas Rangers. Never. And I love it. That has made the move to the AL West worth it....a rival that hates us (even when they pretend not to care about us) and a rival I literally loathe. Great storyline.

Nook likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

This.

If the Titans and Texans ever start playing meaningful games, I could see them being right up there.

MadMax likes this.
  19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Being a Cow fan, you're probably riding with TENN.

20. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Man! I hate the Rangers too.