1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on AT&T Sports SW unless otherwise noted.

4-16 Collin McHugh (R) vs. Marco Estrada (R) 9:07

4-17 Wade Miley (L) vs. Frankie Montas (R) 9:07 MLBN (out-of-market only)

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

First Base

Keep it rollin, Stros !!

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We should light up Estrada, no excuse for not hitting him.

Their starters in general are terrible.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Estrada is averaging as many walks and homers combined as he is strikeouts.
    If making a rotation of AL West starters, how many Astros would make that rotation? I'd say 4 easy with a debate for all 5. Though, I'm not much a believer in the Marco Gonzalez's, the Lance Lynn's, and Brett Anderson's of the world.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We inarguably have the 2 best pitchers by a mile, and yeah I would say you could make a good argument for all 5. I would probably take Gonazlez over Miley, but that's it, and I'm not a big believer in Miley. Josh James would also comfortably be in every other rotation as well.

The pitching in this division is utter trash right now. We have the 4 best starters when it comes to missing bats, and would be all 5 if we had James in the rotation.

kaleidosky and Joe Joe like this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Lets get the quick 2 game sweep

The A’s are scrappy

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ugh...west coast game times. X_X

Rodman23 likes this.
  8. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Miserable

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. ktex

ktex Member

Would love some geographical realignment.

11. Buck Turgidson

Not enough teams west of us for that to matter much.

12. ktex

ktex Member

You'd have to redo the leagues entirely but I'd be ok with that.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

To really make it work, you could eliminate the leagues altogether and just have (6) divisions with (5) teams in each.

14. Buck Turgidson

Only problem is, you've got 6 teams on the Coast, then the Dbacks and Rockies...then the 2 Texas teams make 10. Doesn't matter how you realign those teams. KC and Minny are the next 2 westernmost teams, it just makes sense for MLB to have us and Arlington in the West.

15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I’m personally a fan of being in the AL West. First, I love the DH. Second, I love the late game times. It’s much more preferable to the 6 pm early games we used to get in Cincy and Pittsburgh. I’m usually not home from work and settled in until 6:30 or 7 most days.

16. HTown2017Champs

Miss our old rivalries. Seattle, Anaheim, and even Oakland will never be real rivals to me, just league imposed. I hate late game times, and I'm sorry, but you're in a minority. As for the DH, personally, I love it when pitchers would hit that super rare home run. I just love the "rare" plays you almost never see (something many don't bring up). Universal DH is inevitable, though.
    If we were to eliminate leagues and do six 5-team divisions, I could see a "California" division, along with SEA, COL, ARZ, ARL, and HOU. Could work?

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Hate the late games, makes work tough in the morning

Is what it is though, let's pound Estrada

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They are even worse now that I am in Florida. Fortunately I can sleep in, but in my advanced age, I still wake up around 7:00 every morning.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Well, its certainly true no matter how you slice and dice the league, solving one set of problems leads to creating others. Seemingly, creating some divisions with more teams and others with less would be the only way to totally solve the geographic issue. Given your example, a west coast league with 6 teams and a midwest with 4 would make it work. But this gets too far away from what people are used to or think is fair, so it would never fly. Not even sure id want it to. Although in time, these purely regional divisions could eventually lead to a greater sense of rivalries given than it would amount to more than just cities vs other cities, but geographical regions vs one another. Just a thought experiment. Nothing more.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea even on my days off i'm up before 7 myself...easier to deal with when I don't have to work though....need Miley to pitch some of these late games, that dude don't mess around