1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 7, 2018.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Nice to bounce back and sweep the As. I still have reservations about a part of the line up. I think something will still need to be done at a couple spots.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm on the same page. It's good to do what we should do against an obviously inferior opponent. But there's still something just off about the lineup. Even with 1/2 the runs coming off monster HR's by Stassi and Fisher, it still feels like they're going to need to make some decisions by the end of this month.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For me, Gattis and Jake have been the most prolific underachievers to date. What I am starting to think about is whether the lack of player movement is more about the faith the FO has in these two guys turning it around, or the lack of faith in who is available in the minors to replace them.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No game today :(

Might watch Yankees/Red Sox beat up on one another.

Edit: Looks like Boston is taking the beating so far.

6 of the last 13 games of the year are played against each other including their last 3 to finish the year. Grand Finale for the East?

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Just a cover to get extra gum, pine tar, and magical spin juice.

Nook, kaleidosky and houstonstime like this.
  7. conquistador#11

i'm old enough to remember the days when we'd hope the astros could play .400 baseball to get us through may, june and into nfl training camp. 2012 feels like a lifetime ago

Houstunna likes this.
  8. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

Nice to see us take power, like Stalin.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Part of me misses those days. When we lost I didn't get mad. I didn't turn off the games in disgust. Major League sums up those days pretty well:

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Evan Gattis is a black hole. A DH needs to hit atleast .050-60 over the mendoza line, not below it. Carrying a third catcher is pretty pointless and effects the amount of rest Hinch can give to a position player here and there. Astros need a DH who can play either all over the infield or the outfield. More options to give Springer/Altuve/Correa etc an occasional DH spot or rest. I think this is the most urgent and first move I’d start shopping for.

Astros can and should be a little more patient with Fisher, he does show signs of breaking out here and there. Springer, Bregman, Correa all went through some pretty long stretches early on in their Astros careers of epic struggle. I think there is a learning curve once you get called up. Astros could bring up Tucker once he reaches Super-7 status but there’s no guarantee it won’t take him a month or two to figure it out. Once he’s up, he’s the everyday OF and there’s no optioning him back. Astros are just fine with Marwin in LF down the stretch/playoffs. Fisher or Tucker doesn’t rule out acquiring another OF

ApolloRLB and everyday eddie like this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Correa has never gone a "pretty long stretch" with an "epic struggle". Aside from April 2017 (.233), he has never hit less than .250 in any month in his career.

Houstunna and texans1095 like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

April 2017 move Correa down in the batting order discussions. Good times.

texans1095 and bobrek like this.
  13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He barely clears the fence every month.

bobrek likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D