1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ A's

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 7, 2020.

1. SuraGotMadHops

I'm glad it's the other teams that are acting like knuckleheads instead of us. All things considered, Astros are keeping their cool and letting the other teams blow gaskets and get suspended. I just wish they were winning more games while doing so.

But like Dusty said, we're not started stuff but we don't have to take stuff either. Laureano mocking and taunting our rookie pitcher by showing him how to grip the ball while he takes his time walking to 1B is very disrespectful and is not going to be taken well by the dugout. Players and coaches had the right to jaw at Laureano and stick up for their pitcher. Sticks and stones right? Laureano is the idiot that charged the dugout and at that point Astros have the right to defend themselves. I'm glad Garneau wrangled him like a calf at the Rodeo.

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I agree with everything except I don't think Cintron needs to be beckoning for Laureano to come over to the dugout. That's just stupid.

The Beard likes this.
  3. HookemHorns1250

Cintron was an idiot , Laureano was an idiot.

Pretty much just ends there.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just wanna 'piss off' BT even more...

Lopez: Dusty Baker Is Only Making Things Worse

[...]

Who else, it seemed, would be better equipped to handle the volatility, unpredictability and tension surrounding the similarly scandal-ridden Astros?

As it turns out, just about anyone else could have.

That much is obvious now – and not because of a 6-9 record, with struggles and injuries mounting. Dusty Baker has gone from the voice of reason to watching the controversy and criticism of his team spiral out of control.

And that is where he has fallen dramatically short. More so than bunting or not bunting, handling pitchers and/or his managerial acumen in any way between the lines, Dusty’s defiance has hurt the Astros.

The Astros became the first team in 2020 to provide a bench-clearing melee that could have been much worse. They should have been the last team to do it.

Baseball's Astros haters saw a scene Sunday instigated in large part by one of Baker’s coaches. They then saw a total lack of remorse and control from him. In fact, they saw the opposite.

They saw defiance and excuse-making by the guy who was supposed to help lead the Astros out of this abyss.

Dusty Baker is only making things worse. That much is obvious.

To be sure, we are not saying grown men with pride should back down from a fight. We are not saying they should not argue that an opposing pitcher is trying to instigate ill will or something worse. That's what men do, especially in the all-for-one atmosphere in the clubhouse of a baseball organization.

What Dusty’s team is not supposed to do, though, is start things, or escalate them. Instead of bowing up and acting as if they are being victimized when retribution is in the air, Baker should take control and try to diffuse.

Instead, he has said things to blame the opponent or escalate bad blood.

At the start of the year, he said bygones should be bygones and things forgotten. He knew better than that.

When Dodgers pitcher Joe Kelly tried to escalate things by throwing high at Carlos Correa – with an off-speed pitch, mind you -- and made a pouty face, Baker said it was intentional.

“Balls get away,” he said, “but not that many in the big-leagues.”

Over the weekend, Astros pitchers hit Ramon Laureano three times and Baker had a different story.

“He got hit by two guys that don’t have any time in the big-leagues,” Baker said. “(The Astros) weren’t trying to hit him.”

So balls don’t get away from big-league pitchers … sometimes?

Baker knows better.

In the Dodgers incident, it was the Astros who walked across the field and challenged the Dodgers. Baker showed no control. Also, before the Joe Kelly incident with Correa, it was Baker who shouted profanities at Kelly from the dugout. That’s not why he was hired.

And then there was Sunday. After Baker was ejected and the Laureano dusting happened, Astros hitting coach Alex Cintron literally dared an opposing player to come into his dugout fight.

That’s not control. That’s not what Baker was hired to bring to the club.

Baker is failing at the job the Astros most needed him to complete. He’s failing miserably on the field, but a number of things out of his control are leading to it.

He is failing even more miserably and causing more damage in the job he truly was hired to do.

His top priority was bringing the Astros and their fans through what predictably would be trying times all season. He is ensuring that the season and opponents’ reaction to the Astros scandal are only going to get worse, with the stigma and bad blood toward the Astros lingering longer than it should.

It’s not just the particulars of one day in Oakland getting out of hand. It’s not just the Joe Kelly incident. Fans always will take sides and parse the whys and why-nots of individual moments.

It’s what should be clear to everyone by now. Dusty Baker is failing at his job. And it's not because the Astros are 6-9.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure if Cintron was being stupid or brilliant. That hand gesture was a lightning rod for a suspension. The players next to him may have been saying some filthy stuff, but because of that gesture Cintron has all but guaranteed he'll be the Astro that gets the worst suspension.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Laureano on Cintrón: I guess it’s an unwritten rule that you can’t be doing that as a coach. So yeah I guess it was wrong for him to do that ... Hey, I’m a man. I’m a freaking man. Whatever happens, happens. I’ll take it. And I couldn’t keep my cool and I should’ve. And I wasted my time with that guy."

Ramón Laureano on charging the Astros' dugout following exchange with Alex Cintrón: "Obviously I look like a not very smart guy. But I mean it’s just when you’re very emotional, especially when it’s about your mother, it’s always tough."

Ramón Laureano says he didn't take Cintrón's comments lightly, and he doesn't think anybody would take it lightly.

"When it comes to social distancing during a pandemic I look like not a very smart guy, but you're emotional, especially about when it's about your mother."

Laureano on Garneau stopping him from getting to Cintron: "He protected me when we were in the pile. I thank him a lot for that, because it would have been worse. The whole thing would have gone wrong."

Laureano on how he feigned gripping a baseball to Castellanos after he was hit: "Yeah, I mean I was just having fun in the worst time ever. Yeah, just having fun in my own time. And that's what happened."

Houston Astros hitting coach Alex Cintron made a vile comment to Oakland A's outfielder Ramon Laureano regarding his mother, prompting a benches-clearing melee Sunday, Laureano tells ESPN. Cintron denies talking about Laureano’s mother.

Ramon Laureano to ESPN on Astros hitting coach Alex Cintron: “I regret charging him because he’s a loser. (A suspension) is understandable, but I hope it’s not that many games.” Discipline is coming, and Cintron, sources said, faces a lengthy suspension. https://t.co/0AvTtrGa0g

#426 J.R., Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  7. HookemHorns1250

Just having fun by trying to show up a pitcher, trying to make the team, who hit you with a 3-2 slider? No you were a prick. So was Cintron, especially for him motioning to Laureano and then letting others be in front of him. Garneau certainly kept things from being A LOT worse.

raining threes likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Laureano suspended 5 games
    Cintron suspended 20 games

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Isn't that backwards?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

According to MLB twitter, predictably 20 games is not enough. :D

But I just gotta know, does Clown Rosenthal think 20 games ... "seems harsh"?

If it were 162...
    16.2 games for Laurean
    54 games for Cintron

#430 J.R., Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Well I guess Cintron will now have lots of time to **** Laureano's mom?

[​IMG]

#431 Nook, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    TWS1986 likes this.
  12. SuraGotMadHops

What? Who charged who? I understand and agree with Cintron getting suspended, but twenty games for a guy who never left the dugout and was jawing at a guy who was acting like an assclown after getting HBP is absolutely absurd.

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Maybe a new hitting coach will actually help our star players

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

He was taunting the dude and motioning for him to charge the dugout. And no one is hitting anyway

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So basically

MLB

we will punish instigating a fight severely (unless you are charging the Astros)

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

"That's harsh... prorated for a full season... 5 games is an eternity"

19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Those suspensions seem completely ****ing backwards. Yes, Cintron is an idiot for egging him on. Laureano is the one that directly initiated a break of COVID-19 protocol. WTF?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Somehow this is garnering more coverage than trying to figure out when the Cardinals could possibly play again, and if they do, how do they factor in their standings to the playoff race?

The Kelly drama was a non-story within 2 days after the suspension. This should go away too. It’s really dumb.