1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

One is dependent, the other is universal. It's a huge difference. The dependent one has big flaws from corruption to a real incentive to be "poor" / to cheat the system. Someone can do the math, but the cost associated with the dependencies - verification, application, enforcement, persecution... is probably pretty large also.

Again, one is dependent, the other is not. Many people fall through the crack when they can't meet the requirements for current safety net, which has been under attack.

Can't the VAT not exclude essential (food, medicine..)? Can the VAT focus on automaton and data? Tax every miles from a self driving truck delivering goods. Tax every ads creation from user data? I don't think Yang has gone into details on what exactly the VAT apply to, but he commonly talk about the Amzn, Uber, Google and Facebook of the world as where it is being focused.

I prefer it to not be deficit financed, but not against it to sustain in through exactly the time that it's needed the most - economic downturn.

I'm not sure why it's the same math? The GOP tax break goes mainly to the top that isn't going to spend it at a high rate compared to this that goes to every citizen. Most of it will get spent and recycled back into the economy.

I know we've been talking about shift or wealth transfer. That's one way to look at it. I think the other way to look at this is this is indeed a dividend. The Google and Facebook of the world is using people data literally to make a nice profit. A return of some of that back to the people is pretty fair to me.

Kim likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Just climbed some more in the betting markets.

5th for the nomination and 4th for the presidency.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What do communists and Tolkien have in common?

They both write fantasy

#543 dachuda86, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is a juxtaposition of Yang and Bernie's speeches at the DNC summer meetings in San Francisco this past week. I can't account for any editing trickery, but you can't help but feel like Bernie's message is a bit stale and people are tired of the angry populism. The DNC also seemed shockingly receptive to Yang. I'll always be a Bernie fan, but it feels like Yang is simply the next evolution of the American progressive.

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Full cut of the DNC speech.

This is about as sharp as I've ever seen him. That was 10 extremely well rehearsed minutes. This is a great video to share with friends and prospective voters that really encapsulates his campaign.

#546 DonnyMost, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    No Worries likes this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He makes a great point about Amazon. I wish more people would hit Amazon hard on not paying taxes. They are worse than illegal immigrants or people who hire them who don't pay taxes.

No Worries likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Amazon is playing by the rules we created. It's our fault for electing corrupt and incompetent people who made these rules to begin with.

dachuda86 likes this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You do realize that politicians are corrupt because that's what happens? It's not some new thing and I don't really know how you can avoid it. Yang is also corrupt, and if not, he will be. You don't get far if you don't play ball with your peers.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

That's some real insight there.

biff17 likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If you are insinuating that we have a system that has exploitable vulnerabilities and foundational problems that create and allow for corruption, then yes, I agree with you.

That is why I am so happy that Yang is championing election and governance reform.

https://www.yang2020.com/blog/restoring-democracy-rebuilding-trust/

dachuda86, B-Bob and mdrowe00 like this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yang (5%) just leapfrogged Buttigieg (4%) for 5th place in Monmouth early state (Super Tuesday and earlier) aggregate polling.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_US_082619/

Still a ways off from 4th (7 points) but it's looking more and more like Yang either is or will soon be part of the 2nd tier of candidates behind the Big 3 of Bernie, Liz, and Joe.

Great progress.

Andre0087 and Rileydog like this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought the implication of the complaints about Amazon free-riding is that we should change the rules to not allow businesses to do what they're doing. It sounds like you're saying we should let them continue to free-ride because it's our fault we got taken advantage of in the first place. Is that right?

dachuda86 likes this.
  14. myco

myco Contributing Member

Pretty sure it's the former. I think the point is that we shouldn't necessarily villainize companies like Amazon for striving for and paying as little tax as possible. Like you say, we should change the rules.

DonnyMost and dachuda86 like this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

Getting mad at private companies for playing by the rules we set up for them is a misapplication.

The point is to elect people to change the rules. Yang happens to be one of the champions of changing those rules.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well. We will see if he is any different. I don't think he will be but if he is... God help him. I largely agree that we have a system that is corrupt and unfortunately I don't know of a system without political corruption. It seems to be a natural occurrence because of greed and power. I am not apologizing for it... it's wrong. But I would like to see some real reform to stamp out as much as possible. Corruption can ruin a society if not handled somewhat.... and there are more corrupt places than others. Not sure what Yang can do though.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah... well sadly I've talked to many politicians and this is basically what they tell you when they are not being recorded.... They see it at a game... a necessary evil. The ones that don't figure this out... don't last.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I have to say I disagree with Yang on UBI but I like him better than Creepy Joe. Would consider voting for him over that weirdo.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Plenty of disaffected Trump voters are turning to Yang. Always room for one more.

[​IMG]