1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Amy Klobuchar for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 10, 2019.

1. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

the whole interview is even worse. Klobuchar has no idea who the Mexican president is or his agenda.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Now here come the Pete supporters trying to jump in on the action. Very understandable after the last debate.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I will respectfully hold back for now. I want to see what happens as this dust settles some.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can appreciate anybody getting excited enough about politics to make a grass-root donation, that's what I hope all government officials will live on, so the very act of making a donation is a vote for more grass-root campaigns in the future.

That being said, Klobuchar has never polled higher than 5% in national polling averages and 538 gives her a .02% chance at winning the primary. I'm not hating on donating at all, just not sure she has a viable path at this point baring some sort of herculean surge.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. baller4life315

9 points nationally in a poll released today. Clearly, this a very fluid situation. It wasn’t long ago your boy was fresh off of a heart attack and getting upstaged by Warren. A lot can and will change.

6. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Hah I mean of course I am biased, but how about you discuss my post on its merits? Amy is surging, but has barely been vetted as a candidate.

Amy harps on her experience, yet doesn't know anything about our neighbor to the south? She boasts about crafting the latest version of the USMCA, but doesn't know about AMLO or his populist economic agenda?

Nook likes this.
  7. baller4life315

I’m not going to make any excuses or deny the optics for it are bad. You’re bound to have a facepalm moment at some point whenever you do as any many interviews and debates as these candidates do.

In Biden’s case: once per week. Hell, people already forgot about the lying dog pony thing or whatever he called that lady. This, too, will pass.

Let’s not have selective memory here. Klobuchar can articulate policy detail ad nauseam. Just look at any debate or interview. To cast her as unprepared because of one moment like this is unfair. That didn’t stop Warren’s desperate campaign from taking a swipe at it, though.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree that all media goes for the clicks its not just a MSM issue.

Most of this stuff on candidates are leaked by other campaigns and the MSM just pics up on it.

9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

It's not just a gotcha moment. It's her reaction to it that is even more problematic. Klobuchar ended the interview early (so abruptly she took her mic with her). that day, she did name AMLO in another interview and then came back to Venegas to say: "So you see that I know more than you think." Who does that lol?

That, plus her numerous incidents of treating her staff like **** (comb incident, binder throwing, and preventing her staff from getting jobs with other congressmen), illustrate that Amy has thin skin and is quite petty. Tom Petty.

10. baller4life315

Look, it was a bad interview. Like I said above, I’m not making excuses or denying it’s bad optics. You know as well as I do that people, and the MSM, have the memory of a goldfish. Do you think they’ll be reporting on this gotcha moment two weeks from now? Of course not. Is the average voter going to care about one embarrassing moment in an interview two weeks from now? Of course not.

I’ll repeat that it’s unfair to label someone as unprepared because of one moment. Especially, whenever that candidate articulates policy detail the way she can.

And I’d encourage you to read the op-ed penned, and signed by, 50+ current and former staffers completely refuting the claims you’re referring to from that The NY Times hitpiece (where all of that talk originated).

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  11. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Amy admitted to the salad incident and throwing a binder. Her words, not mine!

Buzzfeed also reported on her terrible treatment of aides. She also had the highest staff turnover rate in the Senate, with an annual turnover rate of 36%. These aren't fabrications - they are indictments of her ability to manage a team.

12. baller4life315

I was mistaken. It was 60+ people, not 50.

You’re welcome to continue this crusade of trying to revive a year old story. If I were you, I’d be making phone calls to people in SC and NV.

13. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

A two paragraph Medium post doesn't change the fact the verified stories about Amy's pettiness, one of which happened in the past week. She is a very effective senator, but if she wants the highest office in the land, she needs to be vetted on her ability to build a team and set the right culture.

And don't ya worry, I can multitask :)

14. baller4life315

I figured you wouldn’t like hearing your entire argument dismissed by people that actually worked for her. Again: a really old story. Good luck on your crusade!

And I get it: as a Pete supporter you’re feeling the heat. He got roughed up at the last debate. Amy stole the spotlight and very likely cost Pete a victory in NH. He’s trailing her nationally in the Marist poll released today. Yeah, I get it. Best of luck to your guy. I know I’ll be doing the same :)

15. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

hahaha I mean the stories and the turnover rates are both real (as is the fact that Amy outshone Pete in the NH debate and Klobusurged to 3rd). Let the best moderate prevail!

baller4life315 likes this.
  16. baller4life315

FWIW, I’ve defended and donated to Pete’s campaign on multiple occasions. I like him, don’t get me wrong. Will gladly support him if he’s the nominee.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

She's also the most sensible on policy of all the candidates .... no pie in the sky BS , not too far left or right.

But that ability to stay above the fray is what I like most about her and is such a contrast to Trump and his bull in a china shop act is what really turns me off. I don't mind the root of most of his policy - Its the way he goes about it / says things and never knowing when to shut the hell up.

Klobuchar is the total opposite of Trump in that aspect. She's been the adult in the room all along.

Her only policy I don't particularly care for is the weapons bans - I'm pretty hard line on the 2nd amendment - but I don't see those becoming reality as it would be infinitely difficult to get thru Congress and the SCOTUS would likely strike it down.

RayRay10, B-Bob and baller4life315 like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Best thing about her is her ability to walk the Moderate/pragmatic lane but at the same time when she criticizes the progressive zealotry it doesn’t come off in a way with them that stirs up a hornets nest and ultimately leads to party cannibalization. I mean with the Bernie loonies they’ll find a way to criticize anyone but it’s at least not nearly at the level of demonization that it is with Pete or Bloomy.

I’ve been beginning to think she has the best chance to unify the party honestly. 2nd actually looks like Biden believe it or not who could be a comeback kid if Bloomberg gets exposed which it’s looking more and more like he is.

19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

what did you all think about her town hall today?

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Since her "Klobucharge" in New Hampshire, Amy has had very little movement in her polls.

RCP National Average: 6.6 (up from 4.6)
    FiveThirtyEight: 5.3 (up from 3.9)

Now, some supporters in this thread are using the new Nevada polls as some kind of indicator of boost, but that state had no polling done since early January. In fact, when the new Nevada polls came out, everyone across the field saw a boost except for Biden.

RCP Nevada Average
    Sanders: 30 (up from 17.5)
    Biden: 16 (down from 21)
    Warren: 14.5 (up from 11.5)
    Buttigieg: 12.5 (up from 7)
    Steyer: 10.5 (up from 10)
    Klobuchar: 9.5 (up from 3)

As you can clearly see, everyone except for Biden, got a boost in the latest Nevada polls. However, Klobuchar has made no significant impact on the polls since her 3rd place finish in New Hampshire. At this point, she continues to trail Steyer in both Nevada and South Carolina.

I would consider her campaign nearing the end. There is just no path forward for Klobuchar.

jiggyfly likes this.