1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OF ALL THE PLAYOFF TEAMS........

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's hard to support this team with terrible management. You can tell we will always be spinning our wheels in the mud. Years and years of the same mistakes and excuses. Battle fighting and coaching better.

Then you see teams like the Rams who make a coaching change and instantly are contenders. Makes you think.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I agree with most of your post - but.... re: the Rams..... I think McVay has had a tremendous impact on the Rams, no question. He also inherited the best running back and defensive player in football, a #1 overall QB, and a front office hell-bent on dramatically reshaping the roster. They've brought in Talib, Peters, Suh, Cooks in just the last year (or 2)....... and that was triggered, in large part, by a move to a high-profile city in which there was urgency to make a big splash.

I think the Texans should absolutely be measured against other playoff teams - but I'm not sure this one is an entirely fair 1:1 comparison.

houstonstime likes this.
  3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm totally down to bash BOB for his in game coaching and offensive "genius" but getting on him about driving players away or them not liking him is stupid. Duane Brown hated management, and if BOB can do 1 thing at all its get the players to play for him and like him. We have stated that is not enough to be a good coach, I agree, but attacking the one thing he is actually good at in an effort to make him look even worse just discredits your other arguments and makes you just look like you hate him. Again, I think he needs an OC and some help, but players not liking him is just the players finding reasons to take more money.

EDIT: this is a general statement, not attacking this poster who it appears agrees with me.

csj likes this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

We've got plenty of talent on our roster. Hopkins is arguably the best receiver. Watson is highly talented. Miller was a good RB in Miami but BOB continues to run him through the tackles when he's an outside back, wearing Miller down. You have 2x DPOY Watt with Clowney on your line and you can barely scheme any pass rush.

We've never made any notable FA acquisitions other than washed up players. Demaryius Thomas was a good serviceable pickup. I thought Golden Tate would've been a better replacement for Fuller going down, so I hope the FO made a move for him but I doubt it.

The best change we could make is a new coach. BOB has had 5 years and shown nothing for it. You can see a clear disparity between the Texans and the teams that played this past weekend.

5. Hey Now!

Eh... You cited Lamar Miller - he was a notable free agent acquisition. So, too, was Osweiler, Colvin, Mathieu... Have they made *good* free agent acquisitions?........

Again, I don't disagree. I merely wanted to point out - as good as McVay has been - and he's been tremendous - he's not dragging a mediocre team around. The Rams were/are stacked.

Nimo likes this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

You're right, my bad. Miller was a good pickup, but it's sad to see him poorly utilized. Osweiler was a desperate gamble and failure. Other FAs have been serviceable but not one that has largely upgraded a position of need.

The Rams turned it around pretty well once Fisher was fired and McVay was hired. They've improved their roster in McVay's second year. We have a chance to make a similar change, but it's not gonna happen.

7. ballgame

ballgame Member

That's my argument. I never stated anything about the talent level.....we have the talent. IT'S THE COACHING

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

Don't confuse results with intentions. Yes, Osweiler was undoubtedly trash. It was still a significant free agent signing.

The Texans have never shied away from improving their team, personnel-wise.

csj and Nimo like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think the transitive property works at all anymore in the NFL. There is so much parity it's ridiculous...teams look great one week and like trash the next.

We beat the Jags...and the Jags shut out the Colts...so we should beat the Colts....that sort of analysis just can't be done in the NFL right now, in my opinion.

conquistador#11 and Hey Now! like this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

This x1000. I don't understand how people can say the owners aren't trying to win. They are definitely trying. And they believe they are making the best decision for the team. A lot of us fans disagree with them. But they have definitely made some bold moves. The one thing they have stuck to their guns about is about the guys with character and integrity flaws. The Texans would sping for guys like Matthieu, Colvin, and Wilfork; but not Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Suh. Maybe Suh; apparently he is a really nice guy off the field and doesn't get in much trouble.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think the Texans are trying. The rockets and Astros are trying. They take risks, they make changes when something isn't working, they'll do things their fans don't like if it gets them closer to a championship.

The Texans value stability. If they can keep selling out the stadium and remain mediocre rather than risk making the wrong move, they'll do that. I mean they don't even bother to interview multiple coaching candidates, instead just bringing a guy in to stabilize things (gaine being a perfect example of this)

12. Hey Now!

Correct. And while that can be frustrating... It was likely at least *a* factor in their 0-3 recovery.

I think what people miss, re: character - it's not about arrests and drug use... whatever. The Texans want to build a culture that doesn't topple when things go south. *That's* when the bad element can be problematic (exhibit A: the 2018 Steelers). Too many bad apples can pollute a locker room and create a toxic environment (exhibit b: the early 80s/90s Oilers).

A team like the Patriots can absorb a few of them because Belichick and Brady have that locker room under a vise grip - but even they jettison guys periodically to make sure it doesn't grow out of control. For a younger franchise like the Texans, with no history, no identity... I think they're right to favor guys who can build that environment over guys that can prevent it from happening.

Nimo likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

Trading up for Deshaun Watson wasn't a risk? Signing Brock Osweiler or Ed Reed wasn't a risk? Hiring Wade Phillips wasn't a risk? Drafting Mario Williams wasn't a risk?

Again, intentions do not = results; the Texans have aggressively moved every year to improve their team.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Trying to keep certain things stable is still trying. Paying JJ Watt and Deandre Hopkins is trying. They could have just let them go. And they've made a lot of changes, bringing players in and trading up in the draft. How many times have you and I banged our heads on the table for trading up for players like Jaelen Strong? Just this past season, they lost Will Fuller and traded for Demariyus Thomas. They signed 3 offensive linemen in the offseason. You can say they are not trying hard enough or not trying smart enough; but you can't say they are not trying at all.

Hey Now! likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Just signing guys and making trades isn't really taking huge risks, especially when they are desperation moves to appease the fanbase on the QB situation. Osweiler is a perfect example of this. Placate the fans with a really dumb signing because you happen to have capspace. Taking risks might mean NOT signing whatever scrub QB is available in free agency

What I really mean is making organizational changes and doing things the rest of the league is too scared to do, like the things the Rockets and Astros do on a regular basis. Get on the cutting edge and be forward looking, instead they are all about having an old school mentality. Coach better, bring in good guys, try harder. The texans are a dumb franchise.

Although I do think kubiak was like that. He was smart to go for Mario over Reggie Bush despite the consternation of the fans.

16. Mr. Clutch

Well I think the coaches are trying but obrien is too dumb. Ownership is just happy to rake in the money.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

You do know that nothing generates more money than...wait for it... winning. The McNairs are well aware just how much more the franchise will make and will be worth with a super bowl win.

18. Mr. Clutch

They've sold out every seat just doing what they are doing now. They are scared if they get crazy like the Rockets/Astros then the team could suck and they won't sell out seats anymore. Better to stay mired in mediocrity.

I can't imagine a team wanting to really win keeping O'Brien around. They can't be that dumb to think he's a good coach.

19. Hey Now!

How is the Osweiler signing any different than, say, the Verlander trade, which absolutely smelled of placating fans/Dallas Kecuhel? The Texans were desperate to find a QB and swung for the fences. Again, you can question the validity of the move - but giving Brock Osweiler $50MM guaranteed - or whatever it was - was, by any definition, absolutely a risk. As were the other examples I cited.

I think it's unfair to compare *any* football team to a basketball or, especially, baseball franchise. The analytics are totally different. Having said that, yes - the Texans do seem to move glacially; they do seem reluctant to make even the most rudimentary changes (can anyone explain why Mike Devlin still has a job?); and they do seem to - I think coincidentally - favor coaches who lean too heavily on a system, too often in opposition of their talent (and this goes back to Capers, who took Carr over Peppers, in at least some part, because Peppers didn't "fit" Capers' system).

I don't think they're dumb, however...... Stubborn, maybe?

Nimo likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

You do understand more money could be made, right? Why would you think that aggressive businessmen who buy a sports franchise just want the status quo. If what you're saying is true, they wouldn't have resigned Watt and Hopkins. Or Schaub and Cushing. They could have just gone with cheaper options. You want crazy? How about the Osweiller and Ed Reed deals?

Fans of probably half of the league are wondering why the head coach is still employed or why the team chose its new head coach. There is a lot that goes into that decision and we as fans don't know the half

Astros went crazy by being cheap for a few years. They bottomed out and had the cheapest payroll. It worked in the end but best believe it paid off financially. They won a world series and didn't have to "buy" it like the Red Sox just did.

Hey Now! likes this.