1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OF ALL THE PLAYOFF TEAMS........

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Jan 14, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I still have it as a 'pretty solid' graded draft class. Reid is a stud even though he "tailed off", Coutee is a stud when healthy, Rankins was misused, both our tight ends are still promising with size and athleticism but severely misused and Duke can still grow and be used on special teams. All of this has one common denominator, being coaching staff. You can hope for multiple studs but if you can get one stud and serviceable/semi-startable players with no 1st or 2nd rd pick, thats a win in my book.

If you want to compare the previous year, you cant blame Coutee for being out when Fuller has been worse and Foreman cant be graded completely cause of his terrible season ending injury. Davenport was a project and still is a project, and even he was misused as a right tackle for a portion of the season. The coaching is ****ing terrible. What the hell has Decoud done....?

Nimo likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

#coachingMatters #Facts

Just for fun... (draft round)

Cunningham (2) vs Reid (3)
    Foreman (3) vs Coutee (4)
    Davenport (4) vs Rankin (3)
    Decoud (5) vs Taylor (7)
    Watkins (4) vs Duke (4)
    Cole (UFA) vs J Thomas (6)
    Fuller (7) vs Kalambayi (6)

3. donkeypunch

Nimo likes this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Seeing the creativity that's being shown on both sides of the ball throughout these playoffs, it makes me realize just how constipated our coaching staff is imaginatively. There is not even a shred of "out of the box" thinking coming from anybody inside NRG, and that starts with the owners. They've instilled a conservative, "Let's not get carried away", "aw shucks...we almost had 'em" mentality that has infected that entire building like a virus. Any creativity BOB might have brought with him from New England has left Kirby long ago.

You have a **** offensive line? Ok, how about you draw up some plays that move the pocket for your mobile QB? Or how about you run some misdirection, or quick hit plays, or screen plays, or any other number of ideas to try and get the ball out of #4's hands faster.

5. ballgame

ballgame Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. The coaching on this team is horrible and unimaginative! There's nothing out of the box!!

On yesterday, when the Saints were down 14-0, on their 30yd line, 4th and 1 and THEY WENT FOR IT! I said to myself, it's no way in hell B O'B would have went for it.....IT'S NOT IN HIM. That was a huge call, that got the Saints back into the game

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm screaming yes to all that!!

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Agreed for the most part.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

The most frustrating and comforting thing is we've seen Bill O'Brien do this with this team. He was a lot more creative when he had no QB (Hoyer, TJ Yates) and when he didn't have an offseason to teach his QB his offense in 2017. He is pretty much the coach that will get you from bad to good. He got Penn State from bad to good with Hackenberg but they weren't great. He got Fitzpatrick from bad to good but he wasn't great. But he has never gotten the team or offense from good to great. Sure, the team will never bottom out and go 0-16. He will get them to 9-7. But when he has a good team, I don't think he can make them great.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

But does this (a **** OL that requires heavy scheming to hide) usually get you a 11-5 record or into the playoffs?

One could argue that OBie did effectively scheme away their OL liability, given what their record came out to be.

If you were an opposing team DC facing the 2018 Texans in the playoffs, what would you do to attack the Texans OL? Play close man on man cover and blitz, betting the cover held long enough for your pass rush to collapse the pocket?

mario_v likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

completely agree but it's just so odd with B.O.B because I like the balance in the run vs pass snaps and the balance of using under center with spread as the season progressed.
    But something isn't there, like when to counter when the defense catches on. The philly game was the latest perfect example. B.O.B knew that philly's pressure would come from the interior so they rolled out watson 8 times, successful plays. unfortunately the defense didn't have enough to finish the game.
    Versus the colts, Colts were bringing pressure up the middle. We saw no designed roll out, not even in the 4th and 1.
    Kevin Mchale has been the best comparison I've read because he gave me a lot wtf moments . like when he would call out the sticky ball but never did anything about it.

11. mario_v

mario_v Member

Stop making things up. Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones were not ran out of town. They were free agents and Texans couldn't afford to keep them. That's just how it is, youre not always going to be able to retain your players, it happens to every team every year, not just the Texans.

csj likes this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Look at the bright side. Would you rather be the worst of the playoff teams or the best of the non-playoff teams. Or worse, you could be an Oakland football fan.

[​IMG]

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Texans are the worst of the teams in the playoffs going by talent, they are just by far the worst coached team in the playoffs and near the bottom of the entire league. With even halfway competent coaching, the Texans are a SB contender.

red5rocket likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's a valid concern, and moving forward, the Texans should measure themselves against the best. Having said that....... the Colts and (especially) the Chargers were eviscerated this past weekend - and very few (again, especially with the Chargers) discounted those two teams. Meanwhile, on the same weekend the Texans were exposed, so too were the Ravens, who many thought had a defense good enough to make noise in the AFC.

So while it's obvious the Texans are not on Kansas City's or New England's level, after this weekend, no one else in the AFC is, either.

No Worries likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

Brandon Brooks wasnt gonna re-sign here even if it was even money.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. ballgame

ballgame Member

Not the case! Brandon Brooks and B O'B were at odds, there were several occasions that season that the Texans were failing to get push up the middle. Also, Brooks had several Panic Attacks that year, so B O'B ran him put of town. But funny how he seem to never have those attacks once he left here and funny how he turned into a Pro Bowler once he left here.

The OL coaching and talent evaluations here since B O'B has been here has been HORRIBLE

17. ballgame

ballgame Member

Brooks did not like O'B

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ba...don-brooks-didnt-like-playing-for-bill-obrien

BROOKS: I’ll put it this way. I was going into my third year in Houston. O’Brien had just come in. And, you know, players who’ve made Pro Bowls, All-Pro [teams], whatever, they had their pictures on the wall and stuff. It was down the hallway as you go to lunch, you get to see how the players handle their business. When he came in, man, all those pictures were taken down. TVs in the cafeteria were off. He would never tell you what to say to the media, but he would always be like, ‘I can’t tell you what to say to the media. But some things that you might want to mention is like: I’m here to do my job. Stuff like that. You know what I mean? So eventually you get the same answers from all of the guys, you start realizing what’s going on.

It sounds to me, he’s just a spoiled child. By all accounts, players love to play for obrien. If brooks doesn’t like him for whatever reason, then that’s on him, not obrien.

Swearinger didn’t like obrien either and he’s been cut by like five teams, and most recently by the redskins for criticizing the coaches.

csj likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The offense sucked and he almost got Watson killed. The only scheming he did was run a lot more even after people were saying he would be awesome with Watson.

Most wins were thanks to the defense. Advanced defensive metrics we're good.

I trust rac, but the secondary is aging. He has the DL and lbs in good shape but obrien keeps taking resources to shore up his garbage offense. Several of his picks this year again didn't contribute.

At least RAC has a handle on the problem. I don't think obrien knows what he's doing

BigShasta likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sounds to me like obrien is a bad coach

BigShasta likes this.