1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

This.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't really disagree here but...

I'd argue people that defend racist will do so any way, no matter how racist they are, so that it really doesn't matter. In the end what happens is we point the fingers at the victims of racism instead of the people that actually perpetuate racism and encourage it.

From a lot of the people I named, a lot of them people turned it around after being called and singled out for their racism, that was the teaching moment, had they been ignored they probably would have continued on with their racism not knowing it was hurting people. When you say things that offend people then you may hear something back. That's what this has always been about, the back and forth is natural and should happen.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Aren't you the guy whining about a black woman being in a James Bond movie?

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd humbly suggest that people decry racist comments or racist actions, and avoid as much as possible calling the person himself racist. Calling a person a racist is a dialogue-killer. It says you don't have standing to speak. If you say, 'dude, your tweet was racist,' you give the guy some space to say racist things, to make mistakes, to think different thoughts, without being a racist, and maybe even some space to repent and apologize.

That said, Trump's a racist. I don't care to give him any space to be wrong or opportunity to apologize or explain himself or have a dialogue or make excuses. I have no quarter at all for him. I won't call Trumpers all racist though, though some of them may sometimes say racist things.

durvasa, JayGoogle, adoo and 3 others like this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No way. I whined about sjw wokeness ruining bond and it will. Funny how you jumped to the nonissue of race.

6. TheresTheDagger

To rebut your assertion that an accusation of racism is little more than an "insult" like being called an *******.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I agree with your policy on Individuals I never heard of and just heard a single comment from them that seems racist.

But you and I agree that doesn't apply to Trump.

8. fchowd0311

How are sjws ruining Bond?

dobro1229 likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think @JuanValdez said it much better than I tried to. See a few posts up.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, sure, because I've provided more than enough examples of why I believe this, including people that benefit from being labeled 'racist' and plenty of people that aren't hurt by the accusation at all, but how you quoted that part of my post and said that made me think you disagreed with that specific part of my post. Now that I see you do not and we agree there then...

I never argued for people willy nilly calling others Racist, I'm just not going to police language in any way shape or form and false accusations will always exist and we should take them on a case by case basis. Whether the false accusation is of rape or pedophilia or racism, they will just always exist.

My argument was against the idea that to be labeled racist is the end of someone and that it is a big scarlet letter that people can't get past.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have marched to Hollywood and are holding it hostage!!!! Didn't you hear they Antifa is working with the SJW's who are working with BLM's who are working with the Squad to take over Hollywood and then instill their agenda on us all!!!! Diabolical!

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's true. They did. And they are reptilians and the earth is flat. This goes to the top, homie.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

See the SJWS got their talons into Bond thread.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are smoking some grade A stuff my friend.

dachuda86 likes this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So what would you call the 187 GOP members of Congress who voted to not condemn Trump and his racist tweets?

16. fchowd0311

I think it's best to describe racism as a gradient scale rather than a binary "you are either racist or not racist".

So for many of those GOP members, the fear of losing their seat by being primaried from the right is their primary concern over the POTUS being pretty explicitly racist at this point. That fear of losing power outweighs their fears of a president fueling racial tensions. I don't know if that makes them "racist". It does make them enablers though.

Amiga likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

giphy.gif

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

AOC gets another challenger in the NY14

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I hope that it exists less. Scarlet letter or not, perceived wrong accusations have a cost and the benefit doesn't outweigh it.

Institutional racism is real. White privilege is real. It's everywhere in our society. In education, in policing, in service providers, in health care providers to everyday actions and decisions. Those aren't so easily seen and I would bet most people don't even realize they harbor those feelings. That's the harm that is cumulatively much larger than the harm cause by a few outright racists. That's the one that is hard to crack. You aren't going to be so effective at tackling them if you start with calling them out as racists - I'm afraid our society is doing too much of that. They become defensive and can't hear you. There is also an additional cost in that they can't even hear you when you rightfully identify the real racists.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd say they are minimizing racist behavior. I don't know the hearts (or all the names even) of these 187 members and I can't say what they are, only what they do. There are myriad motivations for abetting Trump's behavior and actual racial animus is only one of many possibilities. Whatever their reason, I don't think what they did was okay, but they aren't all automatically racists. If you're going to condemn everybody who has said or done or abetted something that marginalizes others on the basis of their race, you're not going to have anyone at all to talk to.

fchowd0311 likes this.