1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I personally don't care what happens on social media, 90% of it is trash, the only good it has is posting funny cat gifs and NBA trade deadline updates. When it comes to political discourse though for me most of it is garbage.

I will say that we were discussing the first article, he said that being called a racist means losing your job or status but the woman lost neither. The company realized their mistake, offered her the job back and she went on to work someplace similar. I do not doubt that she still gets harassed by people on the internet...but it's the internet, as people on the right always tell me, people say nasty things.

The 2nd article is wapo and I've run out of free articles so bleh

The 3rd one though is basically backing my point? That if you are a white teacher and someone calls you racist that there are things you can do?

These are the things Weinstein doesn't do, in fact, Weinstein here is the perfect example when it comes to things like this. He says whatever he feels like, has all these hot takes on political issues, but if people come back at him he acts like his free speech is being attacked or that he's being attacked. Reading that article, he never once considered why those students were mad at him, he just felt attacked and that's all that mattered to him.

There is a whole story about this, which I will share here, as Weinstein's recollection of his resignation is how he sees it and is thus biased to make him look like he was just the victim here and did absolutely nothing wrong, but he certainly hasn't felt a loss of status, the other, Rashida, also resigned because of that bit of drama. This PBS video is a fair representation of what went on I think. While Weinstein has a point, he made a bigger deal than this than necessary taking it to the national media and it looks like he did not once consider the POV of those he were opposing.

Also, I don't think Weinstein is racist and I've never seen many people label him as such but I'm sure there's a few twitter spaz's out there that have.

It's not easy to get rid of the stigma of being labeled a racist, it takes patience and if you are an arrogant person, like say Trump, you have to put your pride and ego aside, but it is certainly possible and it is certainly easier to get rid of the 'racist' label than living with the stigma of being a minority or LGBTQ person, but really it all comes down to just being sorry instead of being combative.

I always compare it to any personal relationship you have. I remember making a racial joke to my Asian friend, I don't even remember what it was but it offended him, I immediately realized the joke didn't land and he was insulted. Now, it would have been easier to just say the problem wasn't my joke but the problem was he was just too sensitive and soft to get it. Who knows how he would have saw me then but I realized my mistake and apologized for it.

My advice to people being accused of racism is simple. It's a lot like that article you linked. Be quiet, listen and observe, apologize. If it is a false accusation then just say so.

Other than that, minority groups don't really have much to fight racism with if we can't call it out so there really is no solution.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The issue I have with your point is that there seems to be some false equivalence thing you're doing here. That Racism is EQUAL to people being falsely accused of racism. I find that laughable personally, especially since people that deal with racism have to deal with the stigma of their race every single day thanks to racism. For people tired of 'racist' being thrown around I'd say plenty of people are tired of racism period and you're going to hear it more since the president seems intent on normalizing racist tropes.

It is an insult that slides right off plenty of people.

Also, I don't believe in Karma and the current president strengthens that belief, so nothing to worry about there.

joshuaao likes this.
  3. TheresTheDagger

That's on you. I've never said any such thing.

Let me ask you a question: Do you also downplay the hurt a robbery caused because rape is worse? It's the same type of stupid argument. That's the issue I have with YOUR points.

And those falsely accused of racism also deal with a stigma every day. I don't know why you don't get this point.

With every post here you have minimized false accusations...comparing them to an insult at one point. I don't get that. Wrong is wrong man.

Nook and biff17 like this.
  4. biff17

biff17 Member

No he is pissed because using the race card was a weak move when race had nothing to do with the comments from Pelosi.N

So women of color cannot be criticized?

Nook likes this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

I agree with you totally it has become a game of catch the racist.

Nook likes this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

Nobody said racism is equal to people being called racist.

There are real world consequences of being called a racist and it's increasingly easy to have your life and livelihood upended because of being accused of that.

It's much to easy for the Twitter mob to rally around a whole calling somebody racist be side they personally feel offended or they are just having a shitty day.

yes it slides of many people, but so does acts of racism.

Some of those links show some real issues of people having there loves destroyed because of slander or people wanting attention.

that Chipotle story was especially egregious that young lady could have her future negatively affected because some assholes wanted free food.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

#2106 biff17, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    TheresTheDagger and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not talking about Donald Trump, he clearly knows he says racist things and does not care.

The idea that people that are falsely accused of racism should follow a protocol is absurd. It amounts to victim shaming, which something that we as a society have attempted to move away from.

Also, Chipotle restoring her job does not mean she has not suffered consequences of wrongful allegations. Indeed the whole event proves the point. She was immediately labeled as guilty and it was only walked back after the fact.

Weinstein never should have been fired. He didn’t say anything that isn’t true and isn’t accurate.

The Washington article discussed someone wrongly labeled a racist, that had consequences and ultimately prevailed in a lawsuit because it was so absurd.

You being dismissive, is similar to those that are dismissive of racism existing now.

It happens. People are wrongly accused of racism, sexism or any other “ism” and there are consequences associated with that label.

Many people are being labeled as racist. Many deserve it and some do not.

TheresTheDagger, biff17 and King1 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Being falsely accused of racism can be every bit as devastating as being the victim of racism depending on the circumstances.

Racism isn’t some trump card that tops everything else regardless of circumstance.

TheresTheDagger and biff17 like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You literally quoted the ten commandments at me about bearing false witness.

Me: One wrong isn't even equal to the other.
    You: I wasn't aware you were the arbiter of what is or isn't a "wrong". I'll go with commandment #9. You know, this one:
    "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour"

You could have easily just agreed with me and moved on from that point but you didn't. It is easy for me to think that you disagreed with my point about racism being equal to people being called racist.

A stigma that can be dropped and moved past, as history has shown, you even asked me to list people and I did, did I not?

No one said that it is right, my argument is what is the point of complaining about it in general instead of taking it case-by-case?

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I stated one wrong isn't equal to the other and Theresthedagger argued against that point and now is saying he agrees so why did he argue my point about it in the first place? My confusion here is well placed.

2 wrongs don't make a right but this wrong exists in the first place because of a bigger wrong, it is the fallout of racism existing.

How do you feel about false rape allegations? They are terrible, right? Does that mean that we should take a stance against rape allegations in general that they are wrong? Or say "Ugh, I'm tired of all these rape allegations." or something like that?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The protocol to follow is simple common courtesy though, it's not complex, it's to understand why that person is offended and apologize. People do this all the time in their day to day lives and people that don't are just known as jerks and anti-social people. You say something that hurts someone, you show empathy and apologize, that's the protocol.

The fact that it was walked back is my point though?

Weinstein then went on national TV and misrepresented the entire event...he never once considered why people had an issue with what he said and if you read the article I linked you'll see that the students weren't being exclusionary as he claimed, they were simply flipping the event on its head for a year, something the 40 something comittee, also made up of white people, thought would be interesting to do.

Out of all this, Weinstein is the one to get fame and notoriety from the event, others have resigned because of it and there seems to be no tears for them. Others have gotten death threats. The school was then threatened by a shootout and it is mostly because Weinstein went on national TV saying that the university was being racist against white people. He did the same thing that he was accusing them of.

I never argued that it doesn't happen I'm dismissive of it because what are we to do about it? It exists because racism exists, that's why it exists, are we to stop calling out racism just because someone falsely called someone a racist? What's the point here?

#2111 JayGoogle, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  12. Nook

Nook Member

No one is saying that as far as I know. Anyone that does hold that position is wrong in my opinion.

TheresTheDagger and biff17 like this.
  13. conquistador#11

It seems UT is going to try the free tuition for families that make 60,000 combined, previously $30,000, included undocumented students. That'll be more students covered.
    I never kept up with these things that I didn't even know A&M has been doing it since 2011. Take that hippies.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope, I disagree here strongly in general terms, perhaps there is a case out there where someone was falsely accused and then killed because of it, something like that, but in general I disagree. Especially considering the horrors that racism has caused, the history of racism is the reason it has the stigma it does, it it is even a stigma as I hit on later...

Muslims cannot get past the stigma of being Muslim. It's not something they can just up and change or ever apologize for. Same for blacks or any disenfranchised groups. LGBT people can't just decide to not be gay or lesbian to appease others, their very existence is stigmatized

Being called a racist is something you can argue, it's something you can fight, it's not just some term that sticks just because someone else says so, usually, there's a reason it sticks to someone (like Trump) and a reason it doesn't stick to others. My example of people getting past the stigma of being a racist are people living today that were actually racist or said actual racist things.

Does that mean everyone in the world will forgive that person? No, but people move on. Kevin Hart's career could have been destroyed because of what he said about gay people, it wasn't because he apologized, explained where he was coming from, understood, and moved on, and people moved on. I'm sure there are still people that will throw crap at him, it's the internet, people fling poo, but his career hasn't been destroyed. There's tons of examples of this too with all kinds of people in social media, people that apologize and move on and maybe they lose a sponsor or two but it's not the end of the world, they move on and people move on.

I can think off the top of my head, Laura Lee some fashion YouTuber, made an incredibly racist tweet. Destiny the (now famed liberal) streamer, used to say the n-word pretty casually. Justin Bieber has a bit of a history with racism, doing fine. Miley Cyrus said something silly and her apology was basically "I F'd up..." doing fine. I feel like I could go on and on with this, but plenty of people move right past it. Pewdiepie, oooh, Pewdiepie has had tons of controversy around him being labeled a racist and every time it happens he just gets more and more popular.

Then you have people like Trump and Limbaugh or more recently Laura Ingrahm that basically profit from saying racist things and being called racist...so that's why I trivialize the stigma of it.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, no one comes out and just says it, but people play around the subject. I mean in the other thread we have posters talking about how Trump's clear comments aren't racist and its just another example of crying wolf basically.

I feel there are plenty of people that will say that we should condemn racism and call it out when it happens but when it happens they turn the other way and will deny anything happened.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'll also finish on this note, I respect @TheresTheDagger opinion in general as he's one of the few people here that can have civil discussions and of course @Nook and @biff17 , I just don't think being labeled a racist is the scarlett letter people make it out to be.

Have some people been falsely accused? Sure. Is that wrong? I've always said that it was, but what is there to be done about it? We also have people that deny clear cases of racism now matter how open and bold it is, so the discussion surrounding racism continues to be tricky and difficult because of this. While there are some who are harmed by being labled as racist, some of these people skate right past it, and even some seem to benefit from it.

That's why it's much better to just look at the context of the situation, and really, I really try to ignore twitter and social media. Cancel culture surely exists and that's a problem on its very own that only magnifies false allegations of racism, sexism, or anything really.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

There is some truth here. Trump, who you are likely implying, does benefit because he is falsely labeled a racist at every turn and has been for four years. People see it, and it gives him more support, or at the very least, discredits his opponents and makes them look like liars.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How on the nose should someone have to be the be labeled a racist accurately according to you?

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Definitely I would start with people who obsess over it like certain posters here. Trump doesn't seem very fixated on race at all.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

People shouldn't throw the term racist out so casually. It weaken the term. At worst, ignorance and prejudice with an ability to learn and evolve should be the default position for someone that seem to be spewing "racist" words or actions - which is a very frequent occurrence. Clearly differentiate that from outright racists. Stop being so judgmental and give people some chances to correct their words or actions. It has the effect of alienating folks and folks tending to become defensive and even defend actual racists.

Trump is a racist.

biff17 likes this.