1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What on earth does this have to do with AOC?

JayGoogle and zksb09 like this.
  2. biff17

biff17 Member

AOC chief of staff attacks Kansas’ Sharice Davids
    July 14, 2019

House Democrats are calling out the chief of staff for Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) over comments about a Kansas Congresswoman. The latest split on the left that highlights established lawmakers’ growing impatience with radical freshman representatives.

[​IMG]
    Sharice Davids

Ocasio-Cortez’s chief of staff Saikat Chakrabarti wrote that Rep. Sharice Davids (D-Kan.) was helping enable “a racist system.”

The official House Democratic Caucus Twitter account shared a screenshot of the post on Friday, writing: “Who is this guy and why is he explicitly singling out a Native American woman of color? Her name is Congresswoman Davids, not Sharice.”

“She is a phenomenal new member who flipped a red seat blue. Keep her name out of your mouth,” the account added.

Michael Hardaway, a spokesman for the caucus, told a reporter that the tweet was not an accident. Hardaway later posted a screenshot from the film “Menace II Society,” showing the main character, who in the film seeks to take revenge for a friend’s murder.

Chakrabarti responded by claiming he’s a friend of Davids.

“This tweet was in response to someone else’s tweet where they specifically brought up Rep. Davids. Why did you leave that out? I’ve known Rep. Davids for a long time, consider her a friend, and encouraged her to run for Congress back in the fall of 2016. I’m glad she did,” he wrote.

“Everything I tweeted 2 weeks ago was to call out the terrible border funding bill that 90+ Dems opposed. It gave Trump a blank check to continue caging people in horrendous conditions. Our Democracy is literally falling apart. I’m not interested in substance-less Twitter spats,” he added.

Ocasio-Cortez appeared at a rally for Brent Welder, Davids’ opponent in 2018.

“Brent can win, he can win,” Ocasio-Cortez said last year on The Dig, a podcast from far-left Jacobin magazine, according to The Intercept. “And he can not only win his primary, but he can win in a red-to-blue district on a progressive vision. And I think that’s so exciting.”

Welder, who was seen as further to the left than Davids, lost by just over 2,000 votes in the Democratic primary. Davids went on to beat incumbent Kevin Yoder by about 21,000 votes in the general election.

Davids, whose campaign promises included a middle class tax cut, creating a childcare tax credit, and expanding Medicaid, has not responded to Ocasio-Cortez’s camp. Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), leader of the House Democrats, has also stayed silent.

Davids has stayed out of the headlines as she tries to distance herself from other radical Democrat policies in her purple district.

The latest spat erupted after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) admonished Ocasio-Cortez and her three closest allies, criticizing them for their alleged overuse of Twitter over working on legislation and other matters in the real world.

While the public feud simmers, a recent analysis found that some other freshmen Democrats have consistently voted with Pelosi, including some who promised during their campaigns to oppose her.

–EPTimes

AOC needs to check her chief of staff, this and the segregationist comment are way out there.

She might be a one term congressman if she does not watch it.

When keeping it woke goes to far.

3. TheresTheDagger

AOC and company are defining the left and the country hates it.

https://www.axios.com/alexandria-oc...020-aeaa3771-f142-4059-b79e-1fed569dfdf9.html

Exclusive poll: AOC defining Dems in swing states

BruceAndre and mick fry like this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Labeling everything racist is getting tired. On both sides of the aisle.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And dismissing racism as being virtually non-existent is becoming tired.

Telling minority US citizens who call the US their home to "go home" is a tired and frequent racist trope. I've been at the butt end of those tropes and I'm sure many citizens here of color have been the butt end of these tropes.

6. TheresTheDagger

So is being accused of being a racist because one disagrees with another person.

I'm genuinely sorry that happened to you. Peace.

mick fry likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm sorry that I'm going to assume you agree with the racist trope the president tweeted when your first post in the thread regarding the tweet is stating how this is forcing the hand of Democrats to defend "extremist liberals".

8. TheresTheDagger

You're free to think what you like. I stand by what I said in both threads.

Astrodome likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who is doing that? Someone tells a Muslim to "Go back to your country," that's racist.

It is always interesting to me what gets defended and what is tolerated.

The person yelling "Go back to your country!" gets the defense.
    But the person yelling back "Shut up Racist" is the one in the wrong for you?

Apparently, racism can NEVER be called out. Ever. That's my personal experience with conservatives, especially on this board. No matter how soft or extreme it can NEVER be discussed...unless, and this is always the exception, the person experiencing racism is white.

10. TheresTheDagger

It's happened to me. And not in the context of political discourse either.

The "you're racist" trope happens every day in every day life. Don't for one second think it doesn't.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And I'd say don't for one second think that others aren't dealing with racism or are always falsely calling it out.

I don't understand the complaint of "Getting tired of everything being called racist," wouldn't it be more accurate and better to look at it case by case? When you say the above it makes it sounds like you're trivializing others experience with racism when you say that.

Deckard, R0ckets03 and Invisible Fan like this.
  12. TheresTheDagger

Primarily because victims of false racism charges never get compensation. They also have to overcome a false reputation of being "racist" in their future interactions.

And those who accuse others falsely of racism rarely face any sort of real consequences. Jussie Smollet aside, false accusers aren't being held accountable in a same manner of those justly accused of racism.

BruceAndre likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Interesting. Generally the system avoids rocking the boat. So if you're at the workplace, the criminal justice system or places where influence matters (reservations, waiting lists, lines, etc...) people tend to get away with discrimination more often than not.

The stuff you hear on the news is more an exception than the norm. Proof is just by being curious and asking the people around you...

Not to say that people are naturally unfair but rather they're more naturally inclined to keep silent on unfairness.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

Mississippi is a useless state, time to cut them off.

Nook likes this.
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I respect your opinion and i am sorry that you went through that but are you implying that only citizens (and non-citizens) of color can be the victims of a racist trope?

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean...so what?

Being called racist is just another insult at the end of the day. If you are fired for being called racist then it still should be handled on a case by case basis, was what you said/did actually racist? Did your employer overreact? Both, of course, are possible but being called racist is still just another insult. I always hear the argument about that people should just get over words and stop being so sensitive, usually from the right, so wouldn't that apply here?

People get called names every day and don't expect compensation for it. The main difference here is that in this case, many people don't want to work with a racist or entertain them.

as for the stigma of being a 'racist' I think one has to wonder why that is. When a former KKK member (Robert Byrd) can escape said stigma and a guy like Trump can't one has to wonder why that is.

I mean what is a good example of someone falsely being accused of being racist? I'd sincerely like to know.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. TheresTheDagger

Losing jobs, income, status, over slander is just another "insult"?

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Losing jobs, income, status, is what the victims of racism have faced since the dawn of this country.

Again, where is this case of someone falsely getting labled a racist? Who has lost their job, income, or status over falsely being accused of being a racist?

And how can former KKK members drop the label and others can't?

19. TheresTheDagger

Agreed. Are you saying one wrong justifies another?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/25/us/false-racism-internet-mob-chipotle-video/index.html

Who says they have?

20. conquistador#11

These are the same people that cry over ugly white shoes not getting a retro flag on the heel tab. logic not apply.

JayGoogle likes this.