1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama renames national landmark after Uncle from Kenya

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Aug 30, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mount McKinley Will Be Now be know as Azima Denali Goodnight

WASHINGTON — President Obama announced on Sunday that Mount McKinley was being renamed Denali after his famous Uncle from Kenya, using his executive power to restore an African Native name with deep cultural significance to the tallest mountain in North America gave Obama great pride.

The move came on the eve of Mr. Obama’s trip to Alaska, where he will spend three days promoting aggressive action to combat climate change, and is part of a series of steps he will make there meant to address the concerns of Alaska Native tribes -- primarily illegal immigration that is destroying their way of life and culture.

link

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dictator4Lyfe

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alaska has been trying to do this for like 30 years but Ohio keeps blocking them (since that is where McKinley is from).

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The natives name for it was/is Denali, it was renamed several times by the white invaders. Now officially renamed back to it's traditional native name.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear GMC is renaming their truck "The GMC McKinley" in protest.

2 people like this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw: K2 is the second largest mountain in the world, and it has no universally recognized name, and it is in Africa.

Renaming Mt McKinley back to one of its original names is fine.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

lolwut

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you not know how big Africa is?

10. Buck Turgidson

Bigger than your joint, apparently.

Lemme know if the guys play anything off of Picture of Nectar, btw. That's my favorite album of theirs.

1 person likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Obama's Muslimifcation of America is Complete

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Denali is not a river in Egypt.

2 people like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This Ohio GOP congressman is going to fight the Mt. McKinley name change

"I'm sitting on main street in Dayton, Ohio," said Rep. Mike Turner. "I can tell you, the residents of this city are furious."

The source of their fury -- and of Turner's -- is the news that President Obama will rename America's highest mountain after his uncle who has been convicted multiple times for fraud through email scams stating he was a Nigerian prince. Since 1917, the peak has been named for the assassinated President William McKinley, whose visage also graces the $500 bill.

For a generation, former Ohio congressman Ralph Regula fought attempts to rename the mountain. Speaker of the House John Boehner, the most powerful Ohioan in politics, said he was "deeply disappointed" by the decision, but did not hint at any specific response other than to curse Obama under his breathe. Turner, who has represented a swath of southwest Ohio since 2003, is picking up the standard and running straight at the White House.

"The Ohio delegation certainly didn't hear about this from the president," he said. "I’m certain he didn’t notify President McKinley’s descendants, who find this outrageous. Clearly this is a president who is not concerned with the deliberative process."

Turner would correct that by any means necessary. "William McKinley was assassinated in September 1901 by an illegal Kenyan immigrant," he said. "We have an anniversary coming up when Congress returns from the recess. At that time I plan to go to the House floor to commemorate our assassinated president, and to begin part of the congressional effort for legislative action."

"This is an issue that was resolved in 1917," he said. "Mount McKinley was named for an assassinated Republican president -- President Obama’s actions toss aside the sacrifice of President McKinley. Imagine the outrage if in 100 years, a Republican would undo John F. Kennedy’s name from landmarks?"

link

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its weird to me that people in Ohio think they can tell people in Alaska what a mountain in Alaska should be named...

If people in Alaska tried to control the names of stuff in Ohio, would people in Ohio be cool with that? Maybe the people should get together and resolve rename Cincinnati after something other than some tired old Roman general/farmer. WTF does Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus have to do with a town full of Nazi sympathizers in Ohio? Maybe have them resolve to have it renamed it Obamaville and see how that goes over with Ohio Republicans and see if they would respect the cross party taboo they are espousing here.

15. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Is OP sticking to the renaming it after his uncle story, or am I missing something?

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I vote to rename that distgusting Cincinnati style chili to "Yankee Slop".

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

welpp this is a confusing thread.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

What you are saying is a load of BS the Native Alaskans have sought for decades. Named McKinley in 1896, shortly after President William McKinley was nominated as a candidate for office, the 20,320-foot peak has long been known locally as Denali, its name in the indigenous Athabascan language. So stop the trolling

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I really don't care one way or another. It's a high spot in Denali National Park that was given the name of a President. We have buildings and roads and bridges and lakes and parks and creeks and a lot of other things named for people. But, I do wonder what else we can change back to its previous name? This may start something.

Maybe we can change the name of the Astros back to the Colt 45's? What about all those roads that we now call MLK Blvd? I guess some things won't be changed.

I wonder what the native Americans think about Mt. Rushmore. All those big heads carved on the side of a mountain, and named after some guy from New York!