1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama Iran and Syria

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 12, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I supported Obama's efforts to engage Iran because I think the Iranian people want to move forward past our countries's differences.

Im now hearing Obama didn't hold strong on his red line in Syria as not to disrupt Iranian negotiations.

I thought the Iranian deal could be one of his biggest accomplishments but I think it now will be one of his biggest mistakes..

That being said I think alligence with Iran should be a national security goal

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Haven't seen you around in a while pgabs - I think the majority of Iran really wants to return back to their 1970s Western ways. I believe it is bubbling just under the surface, especially with the country's youth. Peace and cooperation is out there if we really want it to happen.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Iran has Israel and Saudi Arabia stacked against them. That those two are our bff means that any meaningful cooperation between us and Iran can crumble at any time, no matter their creed or sudden gestures for peace.

It's a tough mess to get into as the Dubya era should've taught this generation that an overthrow or regime change isn't an end of tyranny but rather the strong possibility for another beginning.

The failures of the Arab Spring should've cemented the flippancy of interventionist wars but there's an unholy consensus between neoliberals and neoconservatives for nation destroying without fully considering the weight and externalities of nation building.

Let's at least have some closure with Iraq and Afghanistan fcs.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Obama has never done anything wrong ever and even if he did it would be only because someone else messed up. He's completely infallible in every way.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  5. Exiled

Exiled Member

20 millions Iraqis
    70 millions Iranians
    24 million Syrians
    25 millions in Yemen
    8 million in Afghanistan
    6 millions in Lebanon
    Among others will receive a life time opportunity to live better once the Iranian mulla regime is history, or worst case : they would live just like in pre-1979

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Excellent point. I still think the long game is to develop a relationship with Iran. U.S. cannot let Saudi Arabia and Israel dictate it's foreign policy in the region forever.

Iran has a chance to be a thriving, developed, integrated country in the world community. Hopefully the desire for outside investment/culture, the will of the majority and time itself will erode the influence of the criminals in charge and lead to peaceful regime change. Once materialism and a desire for freedom become strong enough among the populace, things will chance for the better in Iran. It's inevitable, but there will be bumps along the way.

I've asked this question before and here it is again: Who is our real enemy between Saudi Arabia and Iran? Today, it's debatable. In 5-10 years, the answer will clearly be Saudi Arabia. Which country is more democratic right now? As Iran gains more economic clout over time, KSA will become more unstable and as oil's influence in the world slowly declines.

Israel doesn't want any country in the region to emerge. They want dysfunction to continue so they remain the only possible U.S. ally in the region with any strength. It's understandable why they want this status quo to continue. Obviously, the rhetoric and venom from Iran's criminal regime inflames the situation.

It's time to look forward because the status quo will not continue. Demonizing Iran and continuing to hug KSA is something this country will regret.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree with you on Iran and Saudi Arabia. Our relationship with Saudi Arabia was purely based on oil.

I hope Trump doesn't do too much damage to the progress made with Iran

However one has to ask why do they support Assad

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Without going into detail, Assad is on the Shia side in the Sunni/Shia divide. The last thing Iran wants is losing their grip in Syria to the Saudis and Sunni extremist groups.

Iran and Saudi Arabia have several proxy battles going on (and will forever).

pgabriel likes this.
  9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Umm, I think you're exaggerating a bit here. Obama made plenty of mistakes, like all Presidents.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, none. Any possible "mistake" was just due to other people screwing up, he's literally the greatest leader of any country in the history of the world.

11. dmoneybangbang

Certainly, they showed it during the Green Revolution several years ago but it was brutally crushed.