1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuclear North Korea - missile capable of hitting Wa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Being President isn't a joke and tweets from a President is serious game.

The first real crisis of the Trump administration might be dealing with NK's testing of an ICBM capable of delivering a nuke warhead to Washington. And that crisis might have been accelerated with a tweet.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/19...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

robbie380 likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Cont.

robbie380 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup the next administration is inheriting quite a mess from the previous administration.

Space Ghost likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Not totally related and I haven't read the entire article yet but...I've been curious what would happen with North Korea if we dropped all sanctions towards them. Would the new wealth be used for greater military capabilities? Or would the new wealth help North Korea slowly moderate and integrate into the world community?

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Fwiw the thread title didn't seem to match up with the content of the article but it was a good article. I do wish Obama had taken a stronger lead on North Korea like he did with Iran, but as the article laid out this will be left to Trump.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll be worse once Iran finishes their nuclear project.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good question. Sometimes you wonder. They seem like a crazy manaic, then they show much awareness of the situation. I personally believe they are trying to get the US and others to pay them to suspend or remove their nuke capabilities. It's not something we should be doing on a regular basis as it can encourage others to follow down the same scheme, but we got to be smart about it. Pushing them to an edge and daring them might just work, or not and when not the consequences can be deadly. Very tough and I don't wish anything but great success by the Trump admin to handle NK, diplomacy or whatever else.

Also agree that the last two admin have done a poor job here. One dare them and the other just ignore them. We can't ignore this type of issue and wish it away.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Click bait :)

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

What are things we will say in 4 years?

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

A nuclear war between North Korea and the US wouldn't last long, and would be very one-sided.

tinman likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What do you think the death toll would be on the non-NK side?

13. Cohete Rojo

Probably zero.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure every new administration will pull that card after Obama pulled it for 8 years while doing next to nothing positive.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Really? Why do think it's probably 0? You believe they aren't capable of launching and landing a nuke head? You think we can detect and shoot them down? You think they can't detect an attack and react in time?

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Just need to trade their 1 shitty nuke and their nuke capabilities for some food and money and the crisis is over. Problem is it takes dialogue to do that.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I also think zero because chance of a successful strike are very low due to their technical capabilities and our defenses. But that does not count for environmental impacts due to failure. That said they didn't build it to launch it (that's a death sentence) they built it to have a seat at the table.

18. Cohete Rojo

If the US were to launch 100 ICBMS (of which only a dozen would be loaded with nukes), how many do you think North Korea could shoot down? How many do you think they could detect before they hit North Korean radar space? Would North Korea be capable of retaliating after the initial US strike?

I don't think North Korea would be able to even have time to stop and think about what is going on.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't know if they are trying to get the US to pay them to suspend nuclear development. They have been able to get ransoms for their loud talk, but I think the regime is mainly developing nukes to protect themselves from regime change. Their true military capabilities are pretty limited so the nuclear talk is a way to cover up their actual military weakness. I saw an old speech with Ghadafi a few weeks back and it certainly makes you think about how the rest of the world can view the US. He was laughed at during his speech, but he was spot on. There is a longer version of it on youtube also.

The nuclear threat gives someone a lot of power. If Kim Jong Un ever gave it up then he would potentially be toast. He knows this. China also keep North Korea around because they act as a buffer against the US. That said the recent nuke test in NK was viewed as a big **** you to China by the Chinese. It was only like 60 miles from their boarder.

Not related to that point, but it's a pretty cool video about one American's trip to North Korea. Maybe I'll do some reading about the Korean War and the origin of the dictatorship next.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

CNN screwed up the banner as usual. It should read "Hoping a disaster will put an Obama Cabinet member in oval office".

If this should happen, we know its going to be Jack Bower. Then we can write a TV show about it and call it Designated Survivor.