1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

North Korea sentences U.S Student to 15 years hard labor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by VanityHalfBlack, Mar 16, 2016.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yeah but this case still stands out as odd. NK usually detains known activists, journalist or people who wants to spread religion. A lot of them were also American of Korean ancestry.

I don't remember the last time a white American this young and with no connections at all to NK activism/journalism was detained like this. I wonder why they did this, could be because of the poster, but I don't really believe anything NK says.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you trek to the Alaskan wilderness looking for a trophy and a bear eats you, is it the bear's fault?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In some ways, no, but the response is usually for the locals to attempt to wipe out the bear population (or whatever predator species attacks a human) once they attack.....so not sure it matters.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

As much as we sometimes tell each other otherwise, the people in North Korea's government are not animals. They are human beings and should be accorded both the dignity and the accountability we demand of people. They are culpable in ways that animals cannot be held culpable.

5. Invisible Fan

I don't know about the last guy, but this president is game for hunting. At least he says he is.

Fair response, though I think you'd have a better time successfully negotiating with a wild animal than an NK government official.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really possible anymore since we let them get nuclear weapons. In another 10 years or so we'll be saying the same about Iran.

7. Invisible Fan

It was never possible unless you were okay with turning Seoul into a spent munitions dump.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Without the threat of nuclear weapons the US could absolutely roll over North Korea, not with the forces on the ground already, but with those that could be in the area VERY quickly. Nuclear weapons are essentially the ONLY thing keeping the US away because we know that if we went in they'd use them.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. A "Korean War" would easily be won by the United States and would be over quickly. Surprising that it never happened. Chinese wouldn't have stepped in.

10. Invisible Fan

I don't think there has been any dispute over the US "winning" a heads up war with N. Korea.

Even if you leave out China's role, the concern has always been irreplacable collateral damage to S. Korea and Japan.

Then there's the consequences of rebuilding a failed state without any tradable industry.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If this follows typical American revenge responses . . . . .that would mean we would have to kill about 100 Koreans to make up for this

Rocket River

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The Vietnam war would easily be won by the US also, if it was not for the US not winning it.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wonder if you realized I was being sarcastic

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

absolutely

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Actually, don't underestimate the mass number of soldiers (even if ill equipped) that N Korea could quickly march on Seoul and create havoc. Even when pushed back the damage could be done. Additionally, N. Korea has thousands of artillery units within close proximity of millions of S. Koreans. Even though it would be a losing effort, tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of lives in S. Korea could be lost without the use of nukes before they were pushed back.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

North Korea is a hold-over of Imperial Japan. They have a living god, militarism, and racial theories just like the Japanese. And their propaganda is just...well, you decide:

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's assuming that they would keep pushing forward and not break and retreat as they were hit. Also it assumes that they are the attacking force and not the defending force against an American invasion.

For sure the North Koreans would do some damage, but they'd be overrun pretty quickly, even with their numbers. If they were the defending force, I'm not sure they could do all that much to South Korea assuming they didn't have nukes.....and also assuming China didn't get involved.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't really get why Seoul has continued to grow as the preeminent city of South Korea over the last half-century despite being vulnerable to North Korean attack. I'm sure there's a good reason that I'm ignorant of. But, wouldn't it have been nice if the government decided way back in 1960 that Daegu or Busan would be their capital city and metropolitan center, well away from North Korean artillery.