1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Gay Marriage: Australian Senate and House of Representatives votes are in.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IzakDavid13, Sep 20, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Just two of the 30 Queensland MPs voted in support of same-sex marriage when Australia's House of Representatives comprehensively rejected the proposal yesterday.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-marriage-20120920-268j8.html#ixzz26zzdr8Ay

Senate votes down same-sex marriage bill

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-20/senate-votes-down-same-sex-marriage-bill/4272366

Lower House votes down same-sex marriage bill

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-19/same-sex-marriage-bill-voted-down/4270016

Our openly gay Minister Penny Wong

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Random Poll
    [​IMG]

Also...Liberal Senator Bernardi resigns after bestiality comment:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-19/controversy-over-cory-bernardi-bestiality-comments/4269604

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this a sad day for human rights and equality?

Where to next for the Australian LGBT's?

Your thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

'Liberal' and 'Conservative' have essentially opposite meanings in Australian politics when compared to the U.S., correct?

Anyway, this is interesting. My understanding was that the general population of Australia tends to be more on the secular side, and it's interesting that ~70% are in favor of allowing same-sex marriage according to your poll (closer to 50-55% in the US). Is it religious leadership that's largely responsible for the opposition or something else?

3. IzakDavid13

NEWS FLASH...

Whilst I still believe that marriage is the union of Man and Woman, I am no longer vehemently opposed to 'gay marriage' as I once was.

I still don't support it,( and I still think that two blokes is yuk), and I still believe that it goes against the will of God, but I no longer radically oppose it as I once did....thanks to discussions with the gay dudes and their support group here in the Clutchfans D&D.

If two gays want to live together in a civil union, what's it got to do with me?
    There are much bigger issues to worry about in life...as FranchiseBlade would say, 'let God be their judge, not you.'

And no, I'm not becoming a 'liberal'.

~~~~~~~
    To clarify...in Australia our Labour Party is like your Democrats and our Liberal Party is like your Republicans.

Our Green party are a bunch of pot smoking vegan hippie tree huggers.

~~~~~~~~~~~

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Congratulations IzakDavid13. Now you don't need to worry about naked gay men leaping from the bushes and marrying you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Tyranny of the majority?

6. IzakDavid13

I employed a gay guy once and he told me on the first day of work that he found both men and women attractive.

I didn't know what to say...the only thing that came out of my mouth was...
    'do you find me attractive?'

His response was 'No' and that 'no gay man would ever find me attractive.' :(

I was actually quite insulted.:p

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

So does ours!

On the subject at hand, I don't see how 70% of the country can support gay marriage but then have virtually no legislative support. Is Queensland traditionally conservative?

8. IzakDavid13

The 70% support is a blatant media lie. Most Australians either couldn't care less, or are happy for gays to be together if they choose, but not in support of it being called gay marriage.

Australians are usually very laid back, our motto is 'she'll (she will) be right mate'...which means get over it & move on.

I'm a QUEENSLANDER, the northern state...and are like the conservative south in the USA. If you've seen the movie Australia and crocodile Dundee it is still like that in most places outside of the big cities.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Folks that oppose gay marriage might as well have stamps on their heads that read "scientifically illiterate".

More proof that religion can make an otherwise good man, backwards.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Think about the thousands of folks that are born with both male AND female genitals, yet they often relate to a specific gender. Think about it...

God's cruel joke perhaps? :rolleyes:

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

muahahaaaaa this is how it starts

12. Orange

Orange Member

A win for the good guys.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Good statement - in contrast to some of the stalinist blockheads in the D&D, you are capable of independent thought and of changing your mind. Some of these guys are so ideologically tied up and incapable of independent thought that they will rather do this than ever change their mind, no matter how many facts are presented to them:

[​IMG]

My point of view: I agree with this:

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Thanks for clarifying that, cause I got seriously confused at this bit:

Weird name swapping down under...

15. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Man, if we could just convince you that all muslims are not inherently evil because of their religion (or at the very least, no more than christians are), you might be an ok dude.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

[KingCheetah]Doubtful.[/KingCheetah]

17. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I think this is my first ever post in the D&D, but as an Aussie I have this to say:

[​IMG]

18. IzakDavid13

I believe that 100%.

Surprisingly I have spent the last week with a few of my old friends, and friends of my mother...most of whom are Muslim...and none of them was wearing a suicide vest or had placards calling for the beheading of infidels.

Brother I have nothing against anyone of any religion (or sexual orientation), I was just pointing out the facts regarding certain religious doctrines that I believe are the root problem, or underlying cause of the constant violence and Anti-Western sentiment in many Islamic countries.

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

fify :cool:

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member