1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nine dead, 16 injured after van hits pedestrians in Toronto

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Apr 23, 2018.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Prayers go out, I can't imagine what its like for those affected and the ones they know.

#1 LosPollosHermanos, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seems to be the popular thing to do these days.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

First the bus crash and now this. Sad.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

if this stuff becomes more popular, what preventative measures would countries take? strict laws on renting a car? Not sure how you stop these attacks

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Where was this "trend" started, and by whom?

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I wish the cops would just beat his ass to a bloody pulp while he is in custody. Then, just say he was injured running over all those poor, helpless people.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

By your logic, white people have been doing mass shootings for a long time before the Nairobi and Mumbai attacks. I guess they copied white people.

I don't think who started the trend is relevant; what's relevant is the motives behind each mass killing, and we should judge and condemn accordingly.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw background checks part of law. Right now your background is checked by some companies, but not required.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Horrible. Maybe self-driving cars will arrive just in time to save us from our worst selves.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I noticed just in the past few months NYC has put up a ton of new cement and other blocks alongside curbs. Officials just have to plan to protect soft targets and prepare the curbs for auto attacks now.

Uhaul, Ryder, etc might have to tighten up their truck rental policy as well but not sure what you can do about that. I think we just live in a world now where we have to prepare soft targets as much as we can.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Why that's relevant at this point, I can't imagine why--or why you would bring it up. The perpetrator was not *your* usual suspect...so I would ease up here brother. Regardless of who came up with it, this man (alek) bares full responsibility for his actions, him and nobody else.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can only put those pedestrian barricades which prevent vehicular traffic from going on sidewalks. But other than that you can't prevent them

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It bothers me a lot that if there is mass murder in anything besides religious or political ideology (e.g. If this guy was Muslim or was a white supremacist targeting a black church), it’s fairly quickly forgotten.

And we never ever talk about how damn terrible this is for the thousands of people who are directly and indirectly affected by the indiscriminate murder of the 10 people who had their own lives stolen.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Don't be silly. Up until the last few years, hand guns were the choice of mass shootings. Now its predominately semi-automatic rifles. Many of you act like these mass killers are degenerates who can barely get out of bed in the morning or breathe on their own.

Guns. Bombs. Vehicles. People are going to come up with more creative ways to kill people.

16. Space Ghost

Sure you can. We can start by putting less blame on the weapon of choice and more on the individual. We should focus more on getting people help instead of pointless bans and putting up barricades.

17. juicystream

Not remotely accurate. The UT sniper was using a rifle in 1966. It doesn't help that the deadliest shootings in history have been done with semi-automatic rifles, which don't have much use except for killing multiple people. Pistols are popular because there are so many of them and they are easily concealable.

Why do people lock their doors?

We blame the individual, the problem is people have rights beyond the 2nd amendment. It is hard to know somebody is going to murder other people in advance. There are far more mentally ill people that will never kill a person than ones that will. And that is if these killers are even truly mentally ill (I'd say they have to be, but they aren't necessarily from a legal standpoint).

The real question for you, is why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

18. Space Ghost

Nowhere did I say it was exclusively handguns in the past. The UT sniper used a wide variety of weapons, including a carbine, bolt action, pistols and shotguns along with various other handheld weapons.

Im not sure what locked doors have to do with anything. Since the invention of the wheel and a hinge, we've always had some type of locking mechanism.

I stated pointless bans. Im all for better gun control. A ban w/out confiscation is pretty much pointless in the US.

Yes, they are mentally ill. What else would you call someone who kills for a scoreboard?

A good series to watch is Mindhunter. They talk about triggering events for serial killers. The same applies to mass killers. They are not predestined to kill. There are events in their life that lead to these situations. The reality is mental health help is not very easy to come by. Its costly. Its not readily available. Sure, there are plenty of places that have centers setup for people to walk into, but the people who take advantage are those who want help themselves. Further we are finding a trend that some of these killers are already flagged and nothing is being done.

19. juicystream

The point is why lock your door? It isn't that hard to break into a house with a locked door. Why bother when the criminal is just going to find another way into your house?

20. Space Ghost

That is a silly analogy. We lock doors for multiple purposes.

We also install alarms and better locks to keep criminals out.