1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL will fine players and personnel who don't stand for national anthem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, May 23, 2018.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The NFL is so incredibly stupid with this issue unless they are politically motivated to help Trump and his F-ing culture war.

Every time this dies down and looks like something we all can move on from, the NFL owners and the happy-to-contribute Trump cult bring it back into the political spectrum and dare athletes to do it again.

Goodell should have put his foot down a year ago and said to his owners and Trump via the media to shut the F up. We will let them exercise their freedom of speech, communicate with the players association to work out an effort to help them advocate off the field in partnership with the NFL with some community outreach, and it would gave been over in a few weeks.

But no... we have to pander to the right wing nutcases owning our teams and make a culture war out of this.

RESINator and edwardc like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm embarrassed for you because you just showcased your failure to comprehend my post which had nothing to do about the NFL enforcing their rules lol.

edwardc likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All you showed was that you don't understand what authoritarian means....again.

deadlybulb likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

???

by pointing out that you barely read my post? That's not how this works.

I never said anything about the NFL and its right to enforce whatever rules they wish to enforce. My post was referencing the right, people like you, who whine and throw hissy fits when your favorite NFL players don't agree with you politically.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a matter of agreeing politically, people get "upset" when 1%er douchebags disrespect the country. It really has nothing to do with politics.

deadlybulb likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Nah........ there is definitely a strong authoritarian right, just like there is a growing section on the left that isn't open to debate.

There is no way around it........ and a lot of this is politics.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I'm not saying that there isn't an authoritarian right, there certainly is, I was just arguing that not liking douchebag 1%ers making public displays of disrespect to the country isn't authoritarian.

There's no getting around the fact that the authoritarian wings of the right and the left have grown significantly the last 10 or 15 years and that's absolutely a problem, it's just an unrelated problem to this thread.

Nook likes this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is all so stupid. So incredibly dumb. A "no comment" policy would let this debate die down naturally. Instead, the NFL feels the need to keep stoking the embers of this. Granted, Trump probably would never let it die down. As soon as the season starts up again, he's liable to call them all "sons of b****es" on stage again to get people all frothy.

We play the anthem too much. It was even played at my old middle school football games for goodness' sake. Hearing in such unimportant settings, to me, cheapens its meaning. I'd be happy if we only heard it before national teams and the Olympics instead of before half-empty minor league baseball stadiums and meaningless Dolphins vs. Browns games. But, I know that in the current environment, a pragmatic adjustment like that would immediately be ridiculed.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, not liking isn't authoritarian...I don't like the KKK marching through the streets for instance...

But then telling them that they better stop expressing their beliefs is. Many on the right have done this, Trump has done this, even telling NFL owners to cut players that do. That's pretty authoritarian. In fact, I believe it would be illegal to fire someone because of their political or religious beliefs, no?

Must we bring up Scalia lecturing that you have the right to burn the flag?

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I gave up on the NFL when the Texans let Savage back into the game five minutes after he was doing the kickin’ chicken on the ground.

This bullshit continues to re-affirm my belief that I do not need to support an organization that does not care for the health of their players or the sanctity of our democracy. They are a private organization and can do whatever it is that they want. I also can choose to think that they are pieces of ****.

11. Nook

Nook Member

There is no doubt that the NFL is a piece of **** organization. The owners are and always have been terrible.

A lot of the players are horrible people too.

It just is perfect theater for the very flawed American consumer.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So if people that worked for you put on the KKK outfit and went marching through the streets and then refused to take the hood off while on the clock you wouldn't punish them for it? I'm thinking you are lying.

The problem here is that you don't understand the difference between facing consequences for your actions such as being fired from your job and being imprisoned for your actions by the state. One of those is authoritarian, the other is not. People absolutely have a right to burn the US flag as an extension of their free speech......and their employers have the right to fire them for it.

deadlybulb likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

First of all, before the NFL rule against it, there were no rules for kneeling during the anthem, so that comparison fails right there.

Second of all, it is also illegal to discriminate against others or harass others I should say at work.

And how about when the president of a nation tells employers to fire their employees because they disagree with him politically?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So if there was no rule against your employees marching with the KKK or wearing KKK hoods at work before one of your employees did that, you wouldn't punish them for it? I'm thinking you are lying.

Also when it comes to discrimination, political ideology or affiliation is not a protected class.

Also, the president can say whatever he wants, so long as he's not mandating that businesses fire employees for wearing KKK hoods to work, it's not a problem. The reason the NFL was attempting to stop the douchebag players from disrespecting the country had to do with fan backlash, not being told they had to by the president.

deadlybulb likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

treason don happy for the distraction...

deadlybulb and plutoblue11 like this.
  16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I gave up on them when I could no longer tell what a catch was. I think their use of college as a minor league is terrible. I have hopes for the new XFL.

I don't know how they are hurting the "sanctity of our democracy" tho.

17. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Who thinks Trump or Bobby actually knows the national anthem?

edwardc and plutoblue11 like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Umm, I would, because of the second reason I stated.

When your political ideology is to hate black, jews, and minorities then you are attacking a protected class.

Kneeling during the anthem does not. It's merely a protest.

Fan backlash? I think opinion on this whole thing is about 50%, The NFL just went back on its rule because of backlash and probably because they realized they hadn't stopped anything, and the very respectful players would just have stayed in the locker room to protest.

The very respectful players could protest any number of ways, they could be inciting violence, instead, all they are doing is kneeling. Since the nature of protest is to do it while you have a stage, they are displaying proudly their right to protest and if the NFL was smart they'd just shut up and let them do it.

19. adoo

adoo Member

it's been a horrible week for Traitor Trump
    • pathetic display of obedience to his handler on a global stage
      • to such an extent that even Fox New personalities, as well as Gingrich and lackeys in Congress, are expressing their dismay
      • resounding FU from Dan Coats and the Fed Reserve Bank community
    to divert attention away from this, he has flashed another shiny object
    my response to traitor Trump is

what should be the appropriate punishment for your kneeling down and kissing up to your handler Putin ?​

plutoblue11 likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

If all of this is true I still don't care.

I'm more offended as an American by the DOD paying these teams/leagues for displays of fabricated patriotism.

CometsWin and plutoblue11 like this.